GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else doing the Keto Diet?

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

Dem meats are hella expensive

Lunch was 3-4 g of carbs and perfect ratio of fat to protein with the sausage

That looks pretty good! I go to my local butcher and get chicken and beef if I’m cooking that day. If I’m meal prepping days in advance I go to WEGMANS and get family packs and freeze what I don’t use. Buying in bulk is great, but I can’t buy chicken at BJs - i did once but it wasn’t really great and the $0.10 per pound difference wasn’t worth the taste to me.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
That looks pretty good! I go to my local butcher and get chicken and beef if I’m cooking that day. If I’m meal prepping days in advance I go to WEGMANS and get family packs and freeze what I don’t use. Buying in bulk is great, but I can’t buy chicken at BJs - i did once but it wasn’t really great and the $0.10 per pound difference wasn’t worth the taste to me.

I got a bunch of skinny chicken breasts that I'm going to grill and use for about 3 days meal prep. Top with a drizzle of alfredo and a side of bell peppers for about 4-6 carbs per meal. Also got several top round steaks which I will drizzle with something high in fat. Lots of eggs too. Thank god I love eggs.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Lunch was 3-4 g of carbs and perfect ratio of fat to protein with the sausage

Also be judicial with your artificial sweetener intake. There’s new studies showing that even though it doesn’t have “carbs” and may be zero calorie, out bodies will respond as though we were eating sugar and it may hinder fat loss.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Also be judicial with your artificial sweetener intake. There’s new studies showing that even though it doesn’t have “carbs” and may be zero calorie, out bodies will respond as though we were eating sugar and it may hinder fat loss.

I very rarely use sweeteners. A literal dash of skim milk in my coffee is pretty sufficient.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
For those of you who have been on this, I haven't really seen anything in my reading about sodium intake with this diet. Have you guys had to watch out for that or really paid any kind to that?

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I got a bunch of skinny chicken breasts that I'm going to grill and use for about 3 days meal prep. Top with a drizzle of alfredo and a side of bell peppers for about 4-6 carbs per meal. Also got several top round steaks which I will drizzle with something high in fat. Lots of eggs too. Thank god I love eggs.

Eggs are fucking great, dude.

If you buy bone-in, skin-on chicken you’ll get higher fat content and juicier meat, not to mention it’s cheaper.

Top round steak sliced and tossed into a cast iron pan with melted butter and sliced onions with salt and pepper sounds pretty pimp to me.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I very rarely use sweeteners. A literal dash of skim milk in my coffee is pretty sufficient.

I brought it up because of the Monster and probably crystal light? Both of those use sweeteners.

And you need full fat versions of EVERYTHING. Real butter, heavy cream,full fat mozzarella/cheese, normal Ranch dressing. Anything "lite" or "skim" usually has reduced fats and increased carbs. So make sure that you're eating the good stuff, it's one of the perks of this diet! :D

For those of you who have been on this, I haven't really seen anything in my reading about sodium intake with this diet. Have you guys had to watch out for that or really paid any kind to that?

You'll need to watch your electrolyte balance and make sure you're taking in enough sodium and potassium. Most people see that they need more sodium in their diet than they did before and that they need to watch potassium, too. I get really bad leg cramps if I don't get enough potassium, which never happens when I'm eating carbs. But when I'm following keto, I replace regular table salt with No-Salt for breakfast and lunch, and then for snacks and dinner I make sure that I add some Lite Salt to increase sodium intake as well.

There's a lot of sodium in processed foods, but since most of them are also full of carbs you'll notice your intake can drop significantly. If you're not getting enough sodium, your body will flush out potassium to get salts (potassium chloride is a salt) which also lowers your potassium intake. So add in extra salt on top of your food and potassium supplements (or the No-Salt, that works great) and track track track! Also, /r/keto has been mentioned, I believe. But if you missed it, that's a great sub-reddit devoted to keto as well full of useful information.

Last edited:

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the great advice and help everyone! Weighed in at 197.0 today and hoping for 175-180 by the end of September. Starting flight school middle of October and want to show up looking fit and ready to go

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the great advice and help everyone! Weighed in at 197.0 today and hoping for 175-180 by the end of September. Starting flight school middle of October and want to show up looking fit and ready to go

Oh man I’m jealous! Flight school!!

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm starting this today as well. Gotta admit, I don't know a lot about health stuff or what foods are good vs bad. relying a lot on my gf to steer me in the right direction. How do you guys know how many grams of what each food has in it????

Gotta use labels. Recommended value of carbs per day is like 300g which is atrocious. Also when counting carbs, when foods have fiber you can subtract that from the total number of carbs because our bodies don't process fiber

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Gotta use labels. Recommended value of carbs per day is like 300g which is atrocious. Also when counting carbs, when foods have fiber you can subtract that from the total number of carbs because our bodies don't process fiber

yeah I was thinking more for veggies and whatnot. Measuring everything out seems like a hassle and wil probably make me fail at this.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
yeah I was thinking more for veggies and whatnot. Measuring everything out seems like a hassle and wil probably make me fail at this.

Try the MyFitnessPal app. That thing does wonders

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

I really only had to track foods, count calories and carbs and stuff for a couple of weeks. By that point, I knew what vegetables and foods are made up of what macros and I can swing it pretty well in my head. I only track on really busy days or really lazy days that I can't be assed to do head-math. But I my brain works that way, some people I know have to track everything or they lose it. YMMV :iono:

This site is the tits for newbies.

Go there and read the things.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i salt everything in the morning and then sometimes i drink chicken broth. I use those mio water enhancers with added electrolytes and i bought a magnesium/potassium supplement(although i rarely ever use the potassium/magnesium supplement, ive had it 2 weeks and taken a total of 2 doses in that time frame). you need to like double your sodium intake from what your used to as it will be processed out a lot faster now.

I guess I'm starting this today as well. Gotta admit, I don't know a lot about health stuff or what foods are good vs bad. relying a lot on my gf to steer me in the right direction. How do you guys know how many grams of what each food has in it????
i usually just google stuff if there isnt a label. If there is a label i have a small food scale at my house to pre-portion 3oz of broccoli etc.

Try the MyFitnessPal app. That thing does wonders
this is usually where my google searches end up.
I use the app "my macros+" to keep track of my food intake and macros. It cost like$2 but its a pretty neat app and you can search in the app(i rarely do) bar-code scan, and custom enter anything/everything.