GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jumping timing, FML

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Two days ago, I went to start Cirilla and there was some weird noises coming from under the hood. The car wouldn't catch and there was a clunking noise that I did not like. The check engine light had come on the night before but she was running fine. I plugged in the OBD2 scanner and the dreaded P0016 code popped up.

I got her towed to Colonial VW in Westborough and they called me this morning. Jumped the intake cam, destroyed the motor. :(

They quoted me 6k to replace the motor with a used one. No thank you. I don't have time to do it myself, but I do have a trusted friend with a shop in NH who's willing to haul it up there for me.

Any advice on where to get a motor?

CHerna

Ready to race!
That sucks man. Sorry to hear. Luckily, the same engine is share across multiple cars.

Try car-part.com and good luck!

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
That sucks man. Sorry to hear. Luckily, the same engine is share across multiple cars.

Try car-part.com and good luck!

Thanks. That's my current go to for big stuff like this. I've picked up some transmissions for my old SRT through the site before, I've been pretty happy with it in the past.

Man. This sucks. I had high hopes that the no start + engine light was just a coil.

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
That sucks man..... my car was making weird noises the other day sounded like a drummer was in my engine. This fucking car engines suck ass!!!!!! Like such a cool car with such a shitty engine. They need to step their shit up foreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Engine donor cars posted in the "Official Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Thread". Make sure the new engine has the updated tensioner.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Two days ago, I went to start Cirilla and there was some weird noises coming from under the hood. The car wouldn't catch and there was a clunking noise that I did not like. The check engine light had come on the night before but she was running fine. I plugged in the OBD2 scanner and the dreaded P0016 code popped up.

I got her towed to Colonial VW in Westborough and they called me this morning. Jumped the intake cam, destroyed the motor. :(

They quoted me 6k to replace the motor with a used one. No thank you. I don't have time to do it myself, but I do have a trusted friend with a shop in NH who's willing to haul it up there for me.

Any advice on where to get a motor?

Im really sorry that happened to you.

Jaber

Modero
Damn that sucks man :( Reading about these tensioners going, it has taught me one thing. Whenever you get a CEL, scan it right away. And if you get that code, do not start it again and have it towed, to prevent engine from destroying itself.

Other day I thought mine went. It's been 10-14F outside and I didn't drive the car for a day and half. So I decided to go run a quick errand, go to start the car and I heard loud clunkclunclunkclunk and CEL was flashing. I immediately turned it off and found my BT dongle and used Torque to scan for codes, only read misfire cylinder 3. To play it safe, I had it towed to the dealer for them to check it out (under warranty still). They couldn't find anything wrong and it only happened that one time. It's been driving fine for few days now.

Good luck!

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Damn that sucks man :( Reading about these tensioners going, it has taught me one thing. Whenever you get a CEL, scan it right away. And if you get that code, do not start it again and have it towed, to prevent engine from destroying itself.

Other day I thought mine went. It's been 10-14F outside and I didn't drive the car for a day and half. So I decided to go run a quick errand, go to start the car and I heard loud clunkclunclunkclunk and CEL was flashing. I immediately turned it off and found my BT dongle and used Torque to scan for codes, only read misfire cylinder 3. To play it safe, I had it towed to the dealer for them to check it out (under warranty still). They couldn't find anything wrong and it only happened that one time. It's been driving fine for few days now.

Good luck!

DOOOOOOOOOODDDDDEEEEEE.

Same thing happened to me last month and it scared the crap out of me.

Luckily, it was just a coil pack that went! Needless to say, I put her away quickly thereafter for the winter, but I'm not starting her again until I have that new tensioner in there.

Jaber

Modero
DOOOOOOOOOODDDDDEEEEEE.

Same thing happened to me last month and it scared the crap out of me.

Luckily, it was just a coil pack that went! Needless to say, I put her away quickly thereafter for the winter, but I'm not starting her again until I have that new tensioner in there.

I haven't done anything and the car has been running fine since then. No idea what caused it..

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the supports, guys. It's been on hell of a couple of weeks since this happened, my truck went into the shop for some front end work and ended up blowing a u-joint while the tech was backing it off the lift. :w00t: I got a foster dog and I have a 3 month old puppy running around as well.

I found a motor on car-parts.com with 45k on it from LKQ/Keystone in Leominster and had it shipped to my tuner in NH. He came and picked up the car two days ago, he's going over everything on the new motor now.

Turns out, it's got a CTS catch can set up, a South Bend clutch attached and maybe some other stuff we haven't found yet. So hey cool, right? Maybe? Anyone know someone who totaled their MK6 recently with about 45k on it and some light mods?

Meanwhile, I'm over at ECS's website looking over their timing component kits, because I'll be damned if I'm going to start that motor without a new kit on it at this point, lol. It may have been done recently with some mods, but I doubt it since there's only 45k on it. ECS has two kits, one all OEM for ~$540 and one mixed bag for ~$360. I am thinking I will spring for the OEM parts as I am new to the VW game and I don't recognize any of the manufacturers. But - if the other manufacturers do make quality parts, do I need to spring for OEM?

Link for non-OEM: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/basic-timing-chain-kit/06h198003/

Link for OEM: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/basic-timing-chain-kit/06h109158hkt1/

Thoughts?

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
What shop in in NH are you using for this?

Sorry to hear that happened to you. How many miles on your ride? I've got a 2012 with 65,500. I guess I need to bite the bullet and pay the $1200 for the tensioner and chains or sell the car and go for a MK7.

When I talked to my VW shop he said $1200 or if the tensioner goes, about $2500 to rebuild the head. But I've been reading about multiple people who need entire engine swaps which is a heck of a lot more than $2500.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
What shop in in NH are you using for this?

Sorry to hear that happened to you. How many miles on your ride? I've got a 2012 with 65,500. I guess I need to bite the bullet and pay the $1200 for the tensioner and chains or sell the car and go for a MK7.

When I talked to my VW shop he said $1200 or if the tensioner goes, about $2500 to rebuild the head. But I've been reading about multiple people who need entire engine swaps which is a heck of a lot more than $2500.

Six Sigma Tuning in Brentwood. i've known the owner for almost a decade now, he's the only guy that I trust with my modified vehicles.

She just turned 104k, was due for service in less than 1,000 (which is when I planned to have this all done) which is what really gets my goat.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
Six Sigma Tuning in Brentwood. i've known the owner for almost a decade now, he's the only guy that I trust with my modified vehicles.

She just turned 104k, was due for service in less than 1,000 (which is when I planned to have this all done) which is what really gets my goat.

Thanks. I've never heard of Six Sigma, but they are only 30 minutes from me.

For VW specific stuff and mainly for TDI related stuff I go down to KMH Motors in Lowell. Keith is a very good mechanic and really knows his VAG products. He didn't think the tensioner was that big a deal for me if I had no noises or issues. And I've got way less miles from you which makes me feel slightly better. But then I read about these tensioners failing with no warning which makes me nervous. But $1200 is a lot of money to fix a mfr defect for peace of mind.

Good luck with the engine swap!

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. I've never heard of Six Sigma, but they are only 30 minutes from me.

For VW specific stuff and mainly for TDI related stuff I go down to KMH Motors in Lowell. Keith is a very good mechanic and really knows his VAG products. He didn't think the tensioner was that big a deal for me if I had no noises or issues. And I've got way less miles from you which makes me feel slightly better. But then I read about these tensioners failing with no warning which makes me nervous. But $1200 is a lot of money to fix a mfr defect for peace of mind.

Good luck with the engine swap!

Thanks! I've heard/read stories where they've failed at 60k which is the main reason I'm coming out the money to just do it now before the new motor goes in!

Six Sigma usually deals in Japanese cars, I know Kevin from my SRT and DSM days. Now that I think about it, he's got my old hybrid HTA68 turbo still... I wonder if I could shove that thing into this beast somehow. :lol: