GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifter Question

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Hey all,

Quick question for you guys. I have the DG short shifter and a weighted shift knob and I'm not quite happy enough with it.

When I am in gear I am able to move the shifter to the left quite a bit but not so much to the right. What can I get to resolve this issue and have the shifter not move at all (left to right) when in gear?

Would the solid shifter bracket bushings solve this issue? Or is it a different part that maybe sits under the shift knob boot?

http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/drivetrain/tyrolsport-solid-shifter-bracket-bushing-ssbb/

Thanks!

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
This issue appeared for me after recently re-aligning the shift cables. For that reason I believe this is an issue with the cable alignment at the cable end links.

Before you tighten the end link for the side to side cable you should press the cable back towards the firewall to "preload" the cable. The cable should slide slightly towards the firewall in relation to the end link. When I re-aligned mine I did this for the front-back but not side-side, hence the issue appeared.

Remember you have to home the transmission (small lever by clutch bleeder block) and shift knob (pin that holds the knob to the base assembly) before you re-align the cable. Watch the DIY videos on the Diesel Geek website. Good luck.

EDIT: I re-read and realized I have a slightly different problem than you. When in NEUTRAL I have very little/no tension when moving the shifter to the left, but good tension when moving to the right.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
It sounds like you need to adjust the shifter, I just installed one of these for a customer last week. You shouldn't have any play while in gear. The bracket bushings do completely make it solid though and feel great.

I've adjusted my shifter so many times. I will say that in 5th and 6th gear it stays in place and has no wiggle but 1-4 seem do wiggle.

I guess in preparation for spring i'll order some new bolts for the short shifter as mine are starting to strip and get these bracket bushings for good measure :iono:

I'm afraid to yet again adjust the shifter as the nuts/screws are starting to strip.

I guess I just don't understand how the short shifter works fully. Would that wiggle room in gear be caused by the screws on the brackets not being tightened enough? I did do the playing card trick for the gap that is supposed to be there after tightening the screws.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
This issue appeared for me after recently re-aligning the shift cables. For that reason I believe this is an issue with the cable alignment at the cable end links.

Before you tighten the end link for the side to side cable you should press the cable back towards the firewall to "preload" the cable. The cable should slide slightly towards the firewall in relation to the end link. When I re-aligned mine I did this for the front-back but not side-side, hence the issue appeared.

Remember you have to home the transmission (small lever by clutch bleeder block) and shift knob (pin that holds the knob to the base assembly) before you re-align the cable. Watch the DIY videos on the Diesel Geek website. Good luck.

Hmm I must be doing the adjustment wrong then. I've done it at least 3/4 times. I watch that video on youtube every time I do it lol. I always lock the transmission to home and pin the shifter inside the cabin. I guess practice will make perfect lol.

Anyone know where I can order a set of new screws/nuts for the brackets?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Bare with me as I’m new to the short shifter game but I should note that one of the black plastic sections broke off of one of the arms I guess you would call it?

When looking down into the engine bay, the left part of the short shifter is what I’m talking about. The black piece that you retract towards the firewall when adjusting. That broke off but there is exposed metal underneath it so I’m not sure if it affects anything. I’m thinking it’s just a guard??

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Bare with me as I’m new to the short shifter game but I should note that one of the black plastic sections broke off of one of the arms I guess you would call it?

When looking down into the engine bay, the left part of the short shifter is what I’m talking about. The black piece that you retract towards the firewall when adjusting. That broke off but there is exposed metal underneath it so I’m not sure if it affects anything. I’m thinking it’s just a guard??

Can you get a pic?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

I’m using Tapatalk so I’m sorry if the picture is huge and rotated. See how the black piece is broken off of 1 of the arms? Should I be concerned?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Ah it’s a dust boot, ok good to know. I’ll get some new screws/bolts and try to readjust again and see if it fixes the issue... if not I’m getting the bushings. I want this slop gone!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Yeaaa I really am not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’ve put the tranny in the home position and pinned the shifter inside the cabin.

All the clamping bolts are loose. I started with the front-back end link and lined the cable so the threads are all inside the end link. I then tightened down the first 2 clamping screws on the front-back.

I then moved to the side-side end link. I pushed the cable away from the end link and towards the fire wall as much as possible. I then tightened the first 2 clamping screws on the side-side. I took the tranny out of the home position and unpinned the shifter inside the cabin.

I cycled through the gears. I’ve got all of them. But when in each gear with the clutch let out all the way, the shifter wiggles from left to right pretty substantially. Some gears more than others. 3rd and 4th gear seem to be the worse ones.

I’ve tried re-aligning the side-side cable at least 4 times and I’m getting the same results every time. I really don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I just want the wiggle in the gears to go away lol

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Yea, its gotta either be those bushings or the bushings on the actual shifter.

The play isn't horrible to be honest. I guess I'm asking for too much to have almost zero play while in gear. Seems like 1st and 2nd have the same amount of play and the most play while in gear. Then 3rd and 4th have about the same amount of play and isn't horrible. Then 5th and 6th have pretty much no play at all.

Not a huge deal but i'll be looking at bushings in the near future.