GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Looks to be the bees knees if you don't get deep snow. I do love my current AS3's and my only gripe is they don't do well on snow covered roads.

Cazzie902

I've heard the same. I'm in east coast Canada. We go from bright sun to snow and hail then fog in one afternoon. But those tires look so good. Haha

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I've heard the same. I'm in east coast Canada. We go from bright sun to snow and hail then fog in one afternoon. But those tires look so good. Haha

Shame on you! You should have snow tires! I live in the Chicago, so I can take public transport if I absolutely need to get somewhere when the weather is bad.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Aw would have taken +20% on dry/wet grip over better snow. :) Hopefully the new ones are on par or better in that department too.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
True! But they don't have better treadwear like a good grippy all season has. I like a tire with that type of balance myself. Can't afford to and no desire to constantly need new tires.

Are you saying you don't think the AS3's are grippy? They out perform some summer tires in the dry and wet. Tread wear rating and level of grip are pretty much inversely proportional. Can't have it all with one set of tires. The AS3's come the closest though.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Are you saying you don't think the AS3's are grippy? They out perform some summer tires in the dry and wet. Tread wear rating and level of grip are pretty much inversely proportional. Can't have it all with one set of tires. The AS3's come the closest though.

Not at all. I have the AS3's and agree 100% with what you said. :happyanim:

Maybe I didn't say it well but I meant that I hope for even more grip with the AS3+ with same or even better treadlife. Wishful thinking probably but technology these days sometimes works wonders so who knows.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Not at all. I have the AS3's and agree 100% with what you said. :happyanim:

Maybe I didn't say it well but I meant that I hope for even more grip with the AS3+ with same or even better treadlife. Wishful thinking probably but technology these days sometimes works wonders so who knows.

Ah ok. Well I don't think they'll be an increase in dry or wet grip from what the video in the link says. The "+" in AS3+ is going to signify an increase in grip in winter weather and snow over the original AS3's. Tread life probably won't improve either. They'd have to change the compound to something less sticky to achieve a higher tread wear rating and that seams unlikely. These tires have a 40,000 mile warranty in the US. I'm on my second set and I got the second set half off because the first set only lasted like 20,000 miles.

johnboyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
On my 2nd set of A/S-3's and I love them. Yes, not good in any snow, but absolutely terrific in the rain and dry grip is also excellent. Only drawbacks are they are a little noisy over pavement imperfections, and mileage suffers some. I have only had the stock Pirelli P Zeros and the A/S-3's so I can't compare to other brands, but I can't see any others being any better. You won't be unhappy with these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reshwitz

Ready to race!
The A/S 3+ will not be replacing the A/S 3, right?

I'm rather happy with the performance of the A/S 3 and am not interested in better snow performance since our winters are mild.

The A/S 3 has adequate enough cold weather performance that I feel comfortable using it as a year-round tire in my climate.

I got from the video that the A/S 3+ sacrificed some of the warm weather wet/dry performance to be able to achieve the winter gains.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
The A/S 3+ will not be replacing the A/S 3, right?

I'm rather happy with the performance of the A/S 3 and am not interested in better snow performance since our winters are mild.

The A/S 3 has adequate enough cold weather performance that I feel comfortable using it as a year-round tire in my climate.

I got from the video that the A/S 3+ sacrificed some of the warm weather wet/dry performance to be able to achieve the winter gains.

It will be replacing the A/S3. I really didn't notice much in the way of dry/wet degradation thankfully. Michelin flew me to Nevada a few weeks back to do some testing on road and at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. We did not get a chance for snow testing, but plenty of dry and wet, with some freezingish rain at Red Rock. Handled all with aplomb. I don't have any reason to doubt their claims and I always enter vendor sponsored testing with a skeptic's eye.