GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Roof Racks?

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Here is my new setup:

What distance does everyone run between each rail. The minimum is 27.75" and I set mine at 29" apart, measured from inside to inside edge.

I'm surprised how quiet this rack really is. I haven't driven with the ski attachment on yet but the rack alone is silent. I don't notice a difference in sound.

Nelly

Ready to race!
I'm surprised you have both hitch and roof rack. How's the hitch for bike carrying? A few times I see them on the road, they sway a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I'm surprised you have both hitch and roof rack. How's the hitch for bike carrying? A few times I see them on the road, they sway a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hitch is the best way to transport a bike. The 1UpUSA hitch rack that I have does not sway at all. It wedges itself tight inside the hitch so there is no movement there. The only sway that you see is from the rack and bike flexing. My rack is 4 years old and has been on 4 different cars. On long trips, I add a stabilizer strap and it makes everything solid. The 1Up rack is the best on the market.

Nelly

Ready to race!
The hitch is the best way to transport a bike. The 1UpUSA hitch rack that I have does not sway at all. It wedges itself tight inside the hitch so there is no movement there. The only sway that you see is from the rack and bike flexing. My rack is 4 years old and has been on 4 different cars. On long trips, I add a stabilizer strap and it makes everything solid. The 1Up rack is the best on the market.
I gotta look that up now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

North

I am looking for a roof rack for my 2-Door 2012 GTI and have been reading through these posts to help make my decision.

I am currently leaning towards the Whispbar (20% off right now on ECS Tuning)

Has anyone used the Whispbar with Thule Ski rack?
This is the one I have

I would like to continue to use my ski rack, and Flush mount it if possible with the Whispbar.
Has anyone done this? What was your experience with this? Would you recommend going with the Thule aerobars if I am going to continue using my Thule Ski rack?

Any help would be appreciated.

Midknight1

Ready to race!
Would love a roof rack for my bike, but a bike on my car won't fit in the apartment garage haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nelly

Ready to race!
Can get the thru bars instead. But it also depends on how much wider/narrower the next car is though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nelly

Ready to race!
I'm debating about picking up the whispbar since they got sales of going on. $340 for the set. Flush or thru bars

hdsix

I'm debating about picking up the whispbar since they got sales of going on. $340 for the set. Flush or thru bars

Whoa wheres this at. I was just about to pull the trigger for a set but decided to hold off and do some more research when I saw your post. They're showing $459-$479 + $90 for a Fit Kit .

Nelly

Ready to race!
etrailer.com is the site. Not sure how long it'll last though.

GTIinthree

Yakima just released new bars and mounts earlier this year and you can pick up their BaseLine towers, base clips, and JetStream bars for just under $400 before tax from REI during their annual sale. The JetStream bars aren't quite Whispbars but they are the close aerodynamic wise and I like how they stick out beyond the mounts. Mine should be in tomorrow hopefully!

XanderCablay

Very happy with my whispbars. Had them for a few years now. Very quiet, rarely hear them. Only complaint is that I had to replace the rubber pads due to them cracking and breaking apart. Only $35 on Amazon so not too bad. I keep my rack on all the time though. Recently had my bars powder coated gloss black too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJJazzer23

How hard is it to remove any of these roof racks from a 2 door? I'm sick of chucking my bike in the boot but I don't want to have anything permanently installed. I personally think that all roof racks ruin the look of the GTI and will likely be installing and uninstalling after each use.