GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which spark plugs

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I have a 2012 GTI SE, stock with around 85k mi. I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs. Which ones do I want? Platinum? Double platinum? Iridium?

I pulled out out to look at it, and it's branded NGK VW. ECS has OEM plugs, but they're Bosch, not NGK.

ECS has the NGK Iridium plugs for $31, Platinum for $50, and Bosch OEM for $75.

Thanks!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Same here and they are great. However, if you aren't tuned I'm it sure they are necessary. I believe these are a step colder than stock? Also, gapped to .028 and not .032.
I changed two sets of plugs on our 2.0T in our Tiguan and helped several friends with theirs. In every case the coating on the plugs, be it platinum or iridium was always still good, the breakdown happens with the internal resistance of the plugs increasing and becoming too high.

IMO Get the cheapest plugs you can, cos even the expensive ones don't last long.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Here's the recommendation I received from HS Tuning
Jeff @ HS Tuning said:
- My first recommendation is going to be the NGK PFR7S8EG. It's the stock plug in a GTI and also in a Golf R. It's a double platinum plug, so it has good longevity and has proven to be a really flexible and stable performer.

- IF you are using water/meth injection, you might consider using the BKR7EIX, as the iridium plugs are more resilient to erosion from exposure to methanol.

- IF you live in an exceptionally hot climate and don't have an upgraded intercooler, you might consider using the NGK PFR8S8EG. It's exactly the same as the stock plug, just one heat range colder.

Edmundo

Ready to race!
Other than a GIAC stage 1, I have no other engine mods. Have been using NGK BKR7EIX (#2667) with good results.

zrickety

The Fixer
I run Denso Platinum TT, $2.28 each from Rockauto... they used to be carried by Autozone.
I'm also K04, so if they can handle that you know they're good.
If you really want iridium they have Denso or NGK about $5 each plus shipping.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I run Denso Platinum TT, $2.28 each from Rockauto... they used to be carried by Autozone.
I'm also K04, so if they can handle that you know they're good.
If you really want iridium they have Denso or NGK about $5 each plus shipping.
Very interesting, good info.