GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Startup Question

gtisrus4ever

I own a 2012 GTI DSG, has about 88k miles. Quite often when I first try and start the car (engine is cold) it will keep cranking, won't start and no codes. If I turn the ignition off for a second or two and then back on the car starts and runs just fine. Any ideas? Possibly the fuel filter? Thanks.

gtisrus4ever

Battery is about a year old as well as the coils and plugs. Once the car starts it runs fine, no misfires, rough idle, etc. I was thinking might be fuel pump or need to do the carbon cleaning.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Battery is about a year old as well as the coils and plugs. Once the car starts it runs fine, no misfires, rough idle, etc. I was thinking might be fuel pump or need to do the carbon cleaning.

Carbon cleaning could be it. Just had mine done at 112k and it runs sooooo much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtisrus4ever

Great, I'll give the carbon cleaning a shot and see how that works out. Did you do the carbon cleaning yourself? If so, what method?

Thanks

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Great, I'll give the carbon cleaning a shot and see how that works out. Did you do the carbon cleaning yourself? If so, what method?

Thanks

Took it to a shop, out the door for $380. They did walnut blasting method.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Boy, that is a pretty good price. Most places around here asking 600-1000 bucks!!!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Try to find an Indy shop or join all the VW pages on Facebook. Should be able to find a decent rate [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
before you go out and pay for the much needed carbon cleaning...battery being a year old means diddley... test your alternator and battery. Make sure the alt is putting out the right amps and your battery is holding the charge.

pull your spark plugs...are they old? Covered in soot? Look at the coil packs for soot too. Also doesn't hurt to check for codes, might be soft codes stored .. they don't necessarily come up with every crank.The next time before you do a cold start, pull a coil pack.. smell gas? Put it back.. try to start, if it does the same thing, pull the same coil pack.. smell gas?
I sincerely doubt if your fuel delivery is impacted a new fuel filter will solve your issues. If so your rpms would be jittery all over the place.
If there was a fuel delivery issue it's either the injectors or it could point to the fuel pump. Pull up the rear seats, have someone with a stethoscope listen as you crank.

tleinad

hi guys...

Wondering if any one have this symptoms, i have a golf gti mk6.
most of the time, there is no issue with starting up the car :)
- there are times, cranking it but no start. key turn, and just cranking sound.
- and to start it, i have to step on my gas pedal while turning the keys
- so far there is no fault codes.

need some advise :)

can share the link to the discussion, if there is any thread discussion related to this :)

Last edited: