GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autobahn Package...Worth It?

Autobahn Package...Worth It?

• I have the Autobahn package and I would do it again.

Votes: 95 43.6%
  • I have the Autobahn package and I would NOT do it again.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I don't have the Autobahn, but would have added it if i could($$/availability).

Votes: 42 19.3%
  • I was never interested in the Autobahn package.

Votes: 78 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hvltg

Ready to race!
what Rich said..
"It's a matter of taste of course The package makes the car feel a lot more upscale."
throw in some LED's and its icing on the cake.

I preffer it and had two base GTi's in the past.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Leather interior, HID headlights and remote start.....I passed on a black one when I bought my GTI. Not worth the extra $8K.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Got mine at $26,900 before taxes using my veterans discount.

hella good! congrats.

GK I'm gonna have to hit you up when I trade in my TDI for a GTI Autobahn soon haha

:w00t: LMK...

This is a pretty good debate here. Usually these end up one-sided.

It's worth noting that some people who have sun/nav or lower said they might have gotten an Autobahn if they did it all over again, while no one who opted for an Autobahn has said they wish they didn't.

I love the interlagos seats, and I love the Detroits. Throw in the $ savings and it was an easy choice for me. Especially since I still got the bi-xenons.

true true..

Leather interior, HID headlights and remote start.....I passed on a black one when I bought my GTI. Not worth the extra $8K.

its all in the eye of the buyer/beholder... some buy base models and then wish they hadn't later on. Some want the options.

icee

Ready to race!
When I was shopping for my GTI, I went in knowing that I wanted a GTI that I didn't have to pull apart and upgrade to get it to something I'd like.

The autobahn felt like the complete package for me. That is until I started looking at the OEM+ retrofits after I bought the car :D

Then again, that's what makes owning the car a ton of fun for me. Its crazy comfortable, peppy and beats the 15mpg I was getting in my last car!

The rear camera retrofit, led tails and side mirror puddle lights make my car an Autobahn+ car. I can't tell you how awesome it is to just add the part, flick a switch in VAGCOM and boom! New OEM feature! :thumbsup:

Fordson

Ready to race!
MSRP on my car was $30,610. I got it for $28,578. Nobody is paying $32+k for these cars...and there is no $8k gulf between base and AB - base is going for $23,600 and AB is going for $28,600. Well worth it to me to pay the extra $5k.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
When I was shopping for my GTI, I went in knowing that I wanted a GTI that I didn't have to pull apart and upgrade to get it to something I'd like.

The autobahn felt like the complete package for me. That is until I started looking at the OEM+ retrofits after I bought the car :D

Then again, that's what makes owning the car a ton of fun for me. Its crazy comfortable, peppy and beats the 15mpg I was getting in my last car!

The rear camera retrofit, led tails and side mirror puddle lights make my car an Autobahn+ car. I can't tell you how awesome it is to just add the part, flick a switch in VAGCOM and boom! New OEM feature! :thumbsup:

:thumbup: The vcds tweaks are really nice. Ive added a few oem parts as well so i guess i have an Autobahn + gti as well.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I got a base model and kind of wish I'd waited for the R to become available, but have no regrets about skipping any of the premium features. I would have preferred a "base" R over an autobahn GTI for the same price if they sold such a thing - which is probably why they don't offer it.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I think cloth is ugly and cheap looking so autobahn was the only option for me

lol you've never sat in other vehicles with cloth huh? The cloth in the Mk6's are actually pretty high quality for being cloth.

soular

Ready to race!
For those of you saying to get the R or the A3 instead, I've compared all of these and in the end, for me at least, it ends up coming down to gas mileage. With the R and A3, you are losing about 5 mpg average (if I remember right). To me, that's a pretty significant drop. I don't plan on modding mine when I get it, and I definitely don't plan on racing, so the economy is one of the biggest selling points for me and why I don't get the more expensive car. To me, the autobahn is more of a complete package because you get a bit of luxury with the decent economy. Now, when all of the next gens come out, the mileage may not be as skewed, so hopefully it'll open up those other options for me. Even if the R gets as good of mileage as the current GTI, I may even consider it. I guess my goal is to get to as close to 30mpg as possible because that's what I'm getting now and don't really want to step down.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
For those of you saying to get the R or the A3 instead, I've compared all of these and in the end, for me at least, it ends up coming down to gas mileage. With the R and A3, you are losing about 5 mpg average (if I remember right). To me, that's a pretty significant drop. I don't plan on modding mine when I get it, and I definitely don't plan on racing, so the economy is one of the biggest selling points for me and why I don't get the more expensive car.

If you're concerned about efficiency, why not get the TDI then?

Fordson

Ready to race!
I think the cloth in the GTI is very nice cloth...damn nice. I didn't get the AB just to have leather - the seats in it are different seats - they're not just base seats with leather.

soular

Ready to race!
If you're concerned about efficiency, why not get the TDI then?
I edited my post a bit, but I'm not *super* concerned with it, just don't want to go less than what I have now. If the GTD was to make it to the states, that would probably be at the top of my list though because I like the look of the GTI way better than the TDI.

The GTI is the sweet spot on performance and efficiency.
This too.

Dubpower786

Ready to race!
I looked at a few base GTIs and were pretty impressed with the quality of the interior and features but after checking out the autobahn i was sold on it. Yes its pretty expensive as compared to the base but like a lot of people have said earlier, it all comes down to what you really want. I always preferred leather, gives the car a more upscale feel. The Dynaudio sound system is amazing. The HID and LEDs are a nice touch, granted you get the with Sunroof and nav package. The NAV i don't really care for, its ok but i think most smartphones would be better.

I have seen many guys buy the base and end up installing the premium options later. I would skip the hassle and go with the Autobahn if you getting a decent deal. Just my 2c