GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling Noise

AngstyPotato

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
As this sound comes when you turn and accelerate i guess it's the cv axle
Loose Heat Shield perhaps ???

We have one of the heat shields corroded where it bolts on over the rear suitcase muffler. It is resting on the suitcase muffler so it vibrates and resonates making the muffler sound loader than it is.

Easy fix but too lazy, then forgot to fix it. I was intending to use the Othey Fixme sticks that sells in the plumbing dept. at Home Depot to fix leaks. Essentially it is epoxy in a putty form, just use a knife to cut a bit off, roll it around like play dough for a minute and mold it to fit around a bolt head or something else and in 5 minutes it's as hard as rock, heat and water resistant as well.

Last edited:

Rubba

Loose Heat Shield perhaps ???

We have one of the heat shields corroded where it bolts on over the rear suitcase muffler. It is resting on the suitcase muffler so it vibrates and resonates making the muffler sound loader than it is.

Easy fix but too lazy, then forgot to fix it. I was intending to use the Othey Fixme sticks that sells in the plumbing dept. at Home Depot to fix leaks. Essentially it is epoxy in a putty form, just use a knife to cut a bit off, roll it around like play dough for a minute and mold it to fit around a bolt head or something else and in 5 minutes it's as hard as rock, heat and water resistant as well.

Lol that's what i call a solution! :D
But in this case the sound should be knocking since the shield is loose and hitting under the body. also it should keep knocking as the car keep moving and if you take a look at the video the sound comes only for a second. But one of the ways to find out if OP accelerate in straight so we know if it's the cv axle or not.

AngstyPotato

Lol that's what i call a solution! :D
But in this case the sound should be knocking since the shield is loose and hitting under the body. also it should keep knocking as the car keep moving and if you take a look at the video the sound comes only for a second. But one of the ways to find out if OP accelerate in straight so we know if it's the cv axle or not.

the sound only lasts as long as i recorded it for, and it goes away once the car is warm really. also only happens when taking off from a stop

if i have more weight in the car, or going up a hill – its a bit louder

Rubba

The part when car is cold is most likely related to the engine like engine bearing failure (rod bearing) or carbon buildup on the crown of the piston. And the part when car is loaded with weight or going up a hill sounds like wheel bearing because the load is being put on that area/part.
Could you take a closer look and look where the noise is coming from?

pandes

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Does it only do it when you turn the steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngstyPotato

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have a feeling it's something mount related just because you said its worse at cold starts or starting off when there's much more vibration in the drivetrain and you said you scraped a big rock.. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some related to the dogbone or around the subframe where the mount is. Just inspect under the car.

I doubt its CV related or engine damage related like mentioned above

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
the sound only lasts as long as i recorded it for, and it goes away once the car is warm really. also only happens when taking off from a stop
if i have more weight in the car, or going up a hill – its a bit louder
I fixed my rear heat shield it was only one item, the other item still to be fixed is the loose exhaust sleeve clamp (GTI 65mm 1K0253141P) that connects the CAT back exhaust. On cold starts it rattles, then seem like it goes away when the idle smooths out but sometimes returns when I get on the gas hard. The exhaust was a bit louder before but when I troubles shot and had it on the hoist i was able to slide it forward a tiny bit, so now quieter but still rattles as the bolts are seized and won't tighten.

Good luck

Last edited: