GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My test drive opinions.

subacpw

Ready to race!
Well start off with my current car. I drive a 2004 WRX mildly modded. it was dyno tuned at 250 whp and 250 wtq. its clicked over 100k so its time for a new car.

considering i have a 60lb boxer i need somthing with a good amount of space but i refuse to get something boring. Im a big fan of hatch's/wagons for the use of space. so in my looking into cars trying to find one that fits my bill i ran across the GTI.

the GTI looks good. the exterior lines are smooth, it is a way better looking car than my wrx. its sporty with out looking like a boy racer.
on the inside with out being able to compare to a mkV but to my WRX it blows the WRX interior away. the fit and finish looks much better.

to me the two door has a almost useless back seat, for the looks it might look slightly better but the functionality of the 4 door would cause me to "check" that box.

looking at pictures i thought the cloth plaid was ugly. but seeing it in person its a different story. its really not as in your face as i thought it would be. the seats were comfortable and very supportive. i liked the wheel adjust lean angle on the seat back.
the leather is nice comfortable and a little more upscale looking. i did like the power seat back lean.

Im sure most of you know but the Wheel is sweet, it just feels right. makes my WRX wheel feel like a bus wheel.
on the DSG that transmission is, i believe, an amazing piece of technology. the shift times are very quick, i didnt feel any real jerkieness.
being used to my fairly heavy clutch pedal i did not like the 6spd at all. the shifts were very crisp, id say my dislike of the 6spd would come from how light the clutch pedal was.

the trunk is narrower than i would like, i would have to lay a seat down to get golf clubs in. but my boxers cage would fit fine along with all my normal weekend gear.

not actually driving it.
:thumbup:
i took out the 4 door DSG first.
i loved the tranny. i do wish the paddles were column mounted and slightly larger. (after market paddles??)
for being FWD the car handles amazing. it felt way lighter than my WRX very compliant over bumps. the Dealer was actually telling me to get off the brakes and take some turns faster. i am very very impressed with the GTI.
he also had me use the launch control feature, nice feature to have.

So as it sits I am keeping the GTI at the top of my list.
for me i would choose
4 door
carbon steel gray
DSG
Xenon lights
rear airbags
Autobahn package
Upgraded audio

and then i am in limbo on if i would or would not choose to get the built in navi or have a standalone garmin or the like.

but over all i am Very impressed with this car, esp that it can achieve 32mpg highway.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Alex.

Ready to race!
If you don't want Navigation, you can probably pick one up today (I know I could). Although, I am not sure if there launch cars available have rear airbags.

subacpw

Ready to race!
If you don't want Navigation, you can probably pick one up today (I know I could). Although, I am not sure if there launch cars available have rear airbags.

The one I test drove had almost everything. but i also have to look into selling my WRX.

plus I would prefer one that was right off the truck so i know only i would ever drive it.

Alex.

Ready to race!
The car I drove today already had marks from people's fingernails on the steering wheel. I couldn't live with that...

Onassis

Passed Driver's Ed
The car I drove today already had marks from people's fingernails on the steering wheel. I couldn't live with that...

I know what you mean, the worst is when they leave their elbow marks on the driver's side arm rest.

subacpw

Ready to race!
the tire tread i left behind haha. the interior was spotless.
the 6spd i drove was sitting still so long there were some flat spots on the tires.

o and just as an aside i freaking love the VW keys. so addicting to just flip open n closed.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Love the new 2010 GTI.......The exterior is so much better looking in person than it appears in pictures, much more focused, sharper, and refined than the MKV (which I like as well), imo. The interior is just great. I thought the MKV was nice, but the new one is even better. It makes my 08 feel plain. The shifter in the new one feels tighter, shorter, and a little more solid than my 08 one does. The car handles great and maybe even feels a little sharper than the MKV. If I could trade my 08 in for a 2010 and keep my payments the same, with no money down, I would do it right now.