GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 STI to GTI - should I?

foobert

Passed Driver's Ed
They're only one letter apart, after all.

Seriously, I've had my 2006 STI since March of '06, and have loved almost every minute of driving it, owning it, and living with it. It's been my DD on my 50 mile (work week) round trip commute since day 1 - 51K as of this evening, and hasn't suffered a single issue - not one. But the new car itch is strong, the GTI offers a helluva lot of features and refinement for the $, and w/a simple ECU reflash, seems to offer some very decent power. Combine that with my few gripes about the STI - that it does beat one up on long drives, it tends to attract unwelcome attention, and it might cause me to drive a bit less safely than I should - and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

The STI is bone stock, has had one adult owner (39 currently), and should be pretty easy to sell private party. I've considered 135s (in a heartbeat IF the ti was available here, doh!), 335s (too many to count on SE FL roads - which is a big negative in my book), the Volvo C30 (just meh where the GTI shines), and a couple Audis including the new S4. I really liked the power delivery, quattro, and interior of the S4, but am leery of the all new mechanicals, and the price tag is hefty if I decide someday to just up and quit my stable job, which isn't out of the question. Plus, the GTI is right there in refinement and not too far behind w/some mods... hmmm.

Sorry for the wall o'text, just doing some self-justification as I plan my exit strategy, I suppose :)

Anyone wanna buy my STI?

PS just drove a white 4-door 6sp this evening and was much more impressed than i thought I would be, hence the post...

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of guys switch out from STIs (stock and modded) for GTIs. Refinement is what they often cite. My wife has a Subaru Outback Limited (STI motor) and overall I think the car is a pile compared to the GTI. Plus it gets abysmal gas mileage. Anyway, I don't think you're gonna get a lot of detractors on this board. Take the plunge. Do it, do it.

artinmoTTion

Passed Driver's Ed
gti vs sti

You won't miss the STI with a modded GTI, unless you need the AWD. Otherwise the GTI feels like a solid car, even though it will likely be less reliable than the scooby. If you're stuck on having any issues with the car, it might not be for you, though most find them to be quite reliable. I compared the two and several others, and while the next gen imprezas might be quite impressive if they finally outgrow their tin can feel, I couldn't bring myself to even completely consider one, and I'm an AWD junkie, of the same age, FWIW. If you can, or want to swing it, I have no problems recommending the S4, as a previous owner of one. Best car I ever owned, just couldn't drive a sedan anymore at the time. Went TT. Which is another car for you to highly consider, since the current gen isn't selling all that well, and you can get some pretty awesome deals out there...

Jever

Ready to race!
They're only one letter apart, after all.

Seriously, I've had my 2006 STI since March of '06, and have loved almost every minute of driving it, owning it, and living with it. It's been my DD on my 50 mile (work week) round trip commute since day 1 - 51K as of this evening, and hasn't suffered a single issue - not one. But the new car itch is strong, the GTI offers a helluva lot of features and refinement for the $, and w/a simple ECU reflash, seems to offer some very decent power. Combine that with my few gripes about the STI - that it does beat one up on long drives, it tends to attract unwelcome attention, and it might cause me to drive a bit less safely than I should - and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

The STI is bone stock, has had one adult owner (39 currently), and should be pretty easy to sell private party. I've considered 135s (in a heartbeat IF the ti was available here, doh!), 335s (too many to count on SE FL roads - which is a big negative in my book), the Volvo C30 (just meh where the GTI shines), and a couple Audis including the new S4. I really liked the power delivery, quattro, and interior of the S4, but am leery of the all new mechanicals, and the price tag is hefty if I decide someday to just up and quit my stable job, which isn't out of the question. Plus, the GTI is right there in refinement and not too far behind w/some mods... hmmm.

Sorry for the wall o'text, just doing some self-justification as I plan my exit strategy, I suppose :)

Anyone wanna buy my STI?

PS just drove a white 4-door 6sp this evening and was much more impressed than i thought I would be, hence the post...

I loved my 05 STi, Dont trade unless your tired of gas prices or insurance. I would do a straight up trade for my mk6 :)

foobert

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the comments.

AWD - love it, but obviously not 100% necessary in FL.

S4 - still on the table, but fiscally not the smartest idea... though that hasn't stopped me in the past.

I know I'll miss the STI, but it's time for a change. I've been in Subies since Dec. 2001 (2002 WRX wagon, then got the STI in '06).

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I had 3 different WRX's and traded the last one in for my 08 GTI. The VW is really a cool little car. I am currently wanting to trade my 08 in for a new MKVI...........

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
DO IT!! the only reason that i haven't taken the plunge yet, is that i've decided to see what was goin' on with the R first. maybe a dumb move on my part...:iono:

subacpw

Ready to race!
i wanted to wait for more news on the R. but having 100000+ miles on my 04 wrx it was hard to wait any longer so i pulled the trigger on the GTI.

my wrx was modded to about the same level of performance of a STi. the GTI is just better equipped. interior quality is way above anything subaru offers.

ill prolly be a little upset if the R comes over with in 6 months but so far im happy with the GTI, i think it looks way better than the subarus it gives a more grown up presence.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
If your priorities in what you are looking for in a car have changed, and the GTI better fits those needs, by all means make the change.

These two cars are different animals; a co-worker has an STI and it was a blast to drive stock. After he did a Cobb Stg. 2 upgrade it was a beast. Not sure I would want it as a daily driver though.

foobert

Passed Driver's Ed
If your priorities in what you are looking for in a car have changed, and the GTI better fits those needs, by all means make the change.

You know, I think this is really what it boils down to. I've had my fun w/the STI and just want more refinement (meaning it's moved up on my list of priorities, as you stated).

Appreciate the comments, and will hopefully get this deal done in the next 1-2 weeks, if the dealer trade option is reasonable. If not, private party sale!

Next big question is when to go APR stg 1...

jlega

APR dealers

I wouldn't know really but check out this APR link. Just put in your location and it'll do a search or your nearest APR dealers. I went to novitech here in Miami. They charged me for the APR upgrade which is 599 plus tax plus 90 dollars labor.

http://goapr.com/dealer/

iLIKEgti1

You're all over the map. Between a GTI and S4 is $20,000 in the US. If your budget is around the $25,000 range, certainly check out the GTI. I imagine you're able to afford STI price + so I would probably be checking out something more upscale.

Ultimatly you have to like the car, feel good in the car and feel good about buying that car. I would have a hard time giving up AWD, but plenty of snow here.

I drooled when you mentioned S4. If I could I would. Not even a comparison to the GTI.

foobert

Passed Driver's Ed
You're all over the map.

Heh, tell me about it. I could swing the S4 (DINK = dual income no kids), but the practical side of me is saying that money would be better saved for now. My wife was all for the S4, and we'll probably get her an S5 next year when her S2000 lease is up, but I guess I'm more miserly. As I mentioned before, I'd love to drive a 135 or 335, but they almost literally clog the roads around here and I enjoy driving something a little different.

Sure, I'll miss AWD in rainy season and on onramps (nothing like taking a 270 degree properly banked ramp @ 75 w/all 4 tires chirping :D), but that's actually part of the reason I'm getting bored w/the STI - I know what it can do, but there's nowhere to use it here.

Oh and I found that apr dealer link demise937, just wondering if you knew anything about the Broward shop (Coral Springs I think).