GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USP Motorsports

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Gonna go on a bit of a frustrated rant, bear with me:

A few months ago I had an issue with my downpipe which resulted in me finding a local mechanic to help me fix it. While he was fixing it his shop lamp fell into my engine bay and melted a large hole in my stock stage 2 pipe - which obviously the shop offered to fix and pay for - and I needed to order a new stage 2 pipe.

I was directed here on the forums to USP Motorsports for their stage 2 pipe, which by all accounts will be a fantastic piece (should the piece ever make it to my door . . .). I purchased the pipe on 4/8/2016 at 12:50 AM, received my confirmation at 3:50 AM - I'm pretty pleased at this point as this is something that I will be needing quickly - putting a patch on my intake piping is not something I like doing or look forward to do. I go about a week and a half without a notice of shipping so I contact USP and just ask what's going on, this is clearly taking awhile. I get into a chat with a customer service rep and I'm informed that there is a 1+ month back order on the pipe. I ask if he's serious that it can take more than a month, he said yes and then chat was disconnected.

Now I'm pretty reasonable - I can understand a back order and I can certainly understand a delay. My gripe is that there was no posting in the product description about a back order (like a lot of sites do when inventory is low) nor was I given any kind of notification or anything to let me know that this was going to be a long and drawn-out wait for my piece - in the past with other distributors (hell, even ECS emailed me SIX TIMES for a one week delay!) I at the very least get an email notification. I have a reasonably large hole in my intake and I could have gotten a few other APR stage 2 pipes here local and off of the forums by now. My frustration is that I had to find out about delays from a chat service on their website two weeks after my order and have had zero update since my inquiry and we're now 4 weeks in.

It is now 6 days shy of a month and I have had zero correspondence outside of myself reaching out to USP about my order. I am understandably pretty salty about this - I expected a little more from a company that I have heard good things about. If there was some form of indication that I'd be waiting a month I wouldn't even be upset - I could have had an APR pipe from another site or forum member. I don't fault USP about the delay, I fault them about the lack of communication and lack of setting the expectation through disclosing the expected shipping date - I want to cancel my order but I've already been waiting so long, it seems like a waste.

- end rant -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
If its the same part that I see on their website it does say ships when available...As far as I can tell all of their parts say their availability.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
If its the same part that I see on their website it does say ships when available...As far as I can tell all of their parts say their availability.

Ships when available is not in the same ballpark as 1+ month with zero notification - if it's not available for an extended period of time then tell the customer upfront. I agree with part of what you say however there should be further disclosure on wait times if they're going to be even close to this long

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Idk if maybe a month ago the website didn't say anything, but if it's something you needed right away, and it said ships when available, why wouldn't you call them and get a better answer before you placed the order? You can't really blame them for that.

I'll go away now, lol :23:

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Idk if maybe a month ago the website didn't say anything, but if it's something you needed right away, and it said ships when available, why wouldn't you call them and get a better answer before you placed the order? You can't really blame them for that.

I'll go away now, lol :23:

I sure can lol

"Ships when available" is vague - typically this isn't a month or more. If they have wait times of more than a month, don't you think that out of COURTESY they should perhaps mention it to you - I don't think that you as someone giving them money should be responsible for getting them to disclose expected shopping dates. I don't need it immediately - obviously in the real world we wait consistently for things from suppliers for 1-2 weeks, however, I think that more than a month should be at least communicated to the customer. If there is an expected delay we get notified - I think that in a customer service driven business with the amount of choices that are available to us I'd imagine that keeping the customer happy/informed is paramount. And again like I said - I don't fault them for the delay, I do however fault them for the lack of communicating a delay to me until I had to reach out to them to ask what the problem is.

Edit: I do take some of the fault of this situation in the affect that I did not make a phone call prior to purchasing for accurate shipping times, however, in my mind 1-2 weeks was acceptable as that is what is normally expected if it's not in stock, if it's longer than that I should at the very least just get a heads-up email about it.

Last edited:

jshay

Go Kart Champion
If you need a piece to hold you by, I have one in my garage. Just return it when you get your replacement.

Uberryan

Banned
"Ships when available" would entail that it ships... when it's available. Let's be real here. If this product is one of the few, if not only, products on their website with this notation on it, you should've probably called and double-checked availability. Moreover, Phil, Tim, and there might've been a Tyler in there somewhere, have been responsive to my e-mails and questions every time I've sent them one. They had a small gap at the beginning of the month where they were closed for renovations, briefly. Either way, you have to eat some responsibility, and in a legal realm they are covered by that one notation you neglected to see before purchase.

Phil is a stand-up guy, so I'm sure he'll do his best to help you out, but I can't stress this enough that if you need something right away, JUST CALL. An e-mail is easily overlooked, and if you're expecting them to pretty much forward you a ticker for round-the-clock updates on your order, you're crazy. They're a local tuner first, part supplier second. Meaning very busy most of the time.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
An e-mail is easily overlooked, and if you're expecting them to pretty much forward you a ticker for round-the-clock updates on your order, you're crazy. They're a local tuner first, part supplier second.

Why would I want/expect a round-the-clock update? I'm sure that USP has better things to do and I'd be a pretty terrible/unreasonable customer if that was my expectation, I would be that customer that I myself hate - so no, I don't expect that. I did however expect at least ONE notification in the 27 days that my order was open - that's all - a "Yo dude, just a heads up . . ." that my order was going to be more than a month. I really don't think that I am unreasonable in having that expectation, tuner first and supplier second shouldn't matter.

And you're right - I am at fault as well because I did not call before I ordered - my assumption of "ships when available" was not accurate, that's 100% true. I accepted fault in that two days ago in an above post. I'm sure that USP is great and the people are great - Phil answered my question and reached out to me by phone. And again, my issue isn't even the wait, I totally get that delays happen and supply is limited. That's fine - I have zero issue with that. My issue is again that after all this time I did not get any kind of notification that it was going to be over a month until I received my order.

At the end of the day, regardless, I don't think that I should have had to wait this long for one update. I received three emails throughout the process, one from the confirmation and two for the cancellation and refund - that's it. I searched every folder a few times before I made the post and checked just now to confirm that I'm not crazy. The issue is done and solved anyways - so whatever, it's all in the past now and I'm looking for another stage 2 pipe elsewhere.

carrquik77

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had issues with ordering items "correctly" on their site also. I was misguided to products that were supposed to fit what I was looking for and after shipping they were not. I have purchased multiple things through USP in the past, but have not even stopped to look at some of the aftermarket stuff they have now just (about a year later) because of the multiple inconveniences in the past. They did offer to fix things through refunding, but only for an exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i ordered a catch can from them nearly 3 weeks ago, it is a "ships when available" item. the hover-over explanation of this on their site says that they will communicate a timeframe when the order is received, but i got no such communication in the order received email.... anyone know how long i should wait before reaching out to USP directly?

USPMotorsports

Ready to race!
i ordered a catch can from them nearly 3 weeks ago, it is a "ships when available" item. the hover-over explanation of this on their site says that they will communicate a timeframe when the order is received, but i got no such communication in the order received email.... anyone know how long i should wait before reaching out to USP directly?

Please let me know what your order number is so I can contact you directly. Sorry I was not getting past notifications on this and am willing to address any shipping questions you may have.

At this time the Spulen catch can is on back order and depending on which one it is, it may be under revision. I am happy to explain this to you if you like on your options for your order.

Thanks,
Phil

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Please let me know what your order number is so I can contact you directly. Sorry I was not getting past notifications on this and am willing to address any shipping questions you may have.

At this time the Spulen catch can is on back order and depending on which one it is, it may be under revision. I am happy to explain this to you if you like on your options for your order.

Thanks,
Phil

PM'd