GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

scmaslow

I installed my RCD330 the other day, latest E part number with 565 hardware and Y510, C210 software. Now I can see why some people think it works fine with Dynaudio and others realize it doesn't 100%. It depends on how loud you turn it up. It works fine with the volume anywhere below half, once you go towards 2/3 or 3/4 it starts to distort and all the way up is just a wall of distorted noise unlike the stock RNS315.

After taking some voltage measurements from the speaker outs I was right in my thinking. The RNS315 only puts out a 4V max from the speakers when all the way up. The RCD330 being made for cars without external amps isn't limited on it's speaker output and will spike above 6V when all the way up. That's why at around that 2/3-3/4 volume it starts to distort since it's surpassing the 4V the Dynaudio amp is expecting from the headunit.

Since you can't Vagcom code the voltage down on the RCD330 like you can the other RNS units since it never came in a car with an amp you have to drop the voltage with hardware, essentially treating it like any aftermarket headunit that also can't be coded. I have what should be the answer to this problem on the way and once I can confirm it works I'll post more info. I don't want anyone who cares about this to spend money on something until I test it.

It also, as expected, doesn't show the fader, just balance which is due to coding. Once I get my hardware speaker level fix I'll also try some alternate coding since apparently coding it for a Skoda amp will then show the fader.

Beyond that, at 50% volume and lower the RCD330 is a real nice upgrade to the very small screen, very dated feeling RNS315. I much prefer using Android Auto and Google maps to the old RNS315.

As for any other things to note, mine does have the odd quirk that others have mentioned where after using Google assistant the volume will drop on the music you were listening to, but not every time and only if it's Android Auto music, not SD card or radio. I can live with that little quirk since it takes an extra second or two to raise the volume back up.

Any update on the hardware install to fix the Dynaudio RCD330 amp issue

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Anyone else get a little annoyed that there's no notification pop-up on the screen when changing songs (like from the SD card or radio stations) using the steering wheel controls while on another screen/menu? My RNS315 even did this so I'm kind of bummed the new one doesn't have this feature. Was really handy being able to see the song while on say the Nav screen.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
anyone interested in a CarPlay "desay" model for 150$ shipped anywhere in the usa? Nothing wrong with it but I realized I wanted to order a different model but it already shipped and it was too late. if youre interested please pm me so i get an email notification. figure if anyone here is on the fence about one of these i can save you a few bucks plus its already in the usa..

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Anyone have any clue what the difference is between the 187E version with Y510 FW and the 187B version with 5314 FW? Or even the 5515 FW?

I recently contacted a reviewer who bought the 5515 FW and is reporting no bugs unlike what I've read here from posts a few months ago.

mikeysentra

I have installed the Unit and adapters in my 2014 Tiguan and everything works...But the Backup camera is in black and white. sometimes it flickers from color to black and white but 99% of the time it B&W. any ideas why? I have replaced the camera adapter and RCA adapter to no help. is this a internal issue with the head unit? TIA

zwarthoffr

An update regarding the Dynaudio issue, sadly i've had no succes with the alpine adapter.

First of all the adapter had DIN connections, which I changed out for 8 pin quadlock connections. Then I added in the adapter in the quadlock extending the original 8 pin through the adapter.

However, no succes, the sound still distorts 60%+ volume and there is still static noise from the tweeters
The volume of the sound does seem lower with the adapter though.

Although I do have a Scirocco it's the same Dynaudio system.

An update regarding the Dynaudio issue, sadly i've had no succes with the alpine adapter.

First of all the adapter had DIN connections, which I changed out for 8 pin quadlock connections. Then I added in the adapter in the quadlock extending the original 8 pin through the adapter.

However, no succes, the sound still distorts 60%+ volume and there is still static noise from the tweeters
The volume of the sound does seem lower with the adapter though.

Although I do have a Scirocco it's the same Dynaudio system.

Is there any improvement to the sound quality at higher volumes with the Alpine unit?

Are you willing/able to remove the casing from the adapter to see what components it consists of? Or perhaps measuring resistance across the device?

Thanks!

billowusu47

Hi, does anyone use an aftermarket setup with the rcd330? Will an amp get rid of the distortion problem? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have any clue what the difference is between the 187E version with Y510 FW and the 187B version with 5314 FW? Or even the 5515 FW?

I recently contacted a reviewer who bought the 5515 FW and is reporting no bugs unlike what I've read here from posts a few months ago.

I think, functionally, there are few noticeable differences between firmware revisions. They seem to mostly consist of bug fixes, as a lot of the bugs are extremely irritating or make it impossible to use. Personally, my HW is 187B and I'm running FW 5314. I've read about tons of crazy bugs with higher number FW revisions, so I haven't bothered updating it.

jamesCA

I installed my RCD330 the other day, latest E part number with 565 hardware and Y510, C210 software. Now I can see why some people think it works fine with Dynaudio and others realize it doesn't 100%. It depends on how loud you turn it up. It works fine with the volume anywhere below half, once you go towards 2/3 or 3/4 it starts to distort and all the way up is just a wall of distorted noise unlike the stock RNS315.

After taking some voltage measurements from the speaker outs I was right in my thinking. The RNS315 only puts out a 4V max from the speakers when all the way up. The RCD330 being made for cars without external amps isn't limited on it's speaker output and will spike above 6V when all the way up. That's why at around that 2/3-3/4 volume it starts to distort since it's surpassing the 4V the Dynaudio amp is expecting from the headunit.

Since you can't Vagcom code the voltage down on the RCD330 like you can the other RNS units since it never came in a car with an amp you have to drop the voltage with hardware, essentially treating it like any aftermarket headunit that also can't be coded. I have what should be the answer to this problem on the way and once I can confirm it works I'll post more info. I don't want anyone who cares about this to spend money on something until I test it.

It also, as expected, doesn't show the fader, just balance which is due to coding. Once I get my hardware speaker level fix I'll also try some alternate coding since apparently coding it for a Skoda amp will then show the fader.

Beyond that, at 50% volume and lower the RCD330 is a real nice upgrade to the very small screen, very dated feeling RNS315. I much prefer using Android Auto and Google maps to the old RNS315.

As for any other things to note, mine does have the odd quirk that others have mentioned where after using Google assistant the volume will drop on the music you were listening to, but not every time and only if it's Android Auto music, not SD card or radio. I can live with that little quirk since it takes an extra second or two to raise the volume back up.

Did you ever end up figuring this out? I see that you posted your unit for sale in the classifieds...so not super optimistic.

RossGTI6

Finally got my OEM-replica backup camera installed and working. If anyone needs help installing one, feel free to send me a PM.

Been reading in depth through this thread trying to get my above combo to work with the Aycetry camera whilst pulling my hair out, and noticed you got the exact combo working!

I have a 2009 Mk6 GTI, RCD330 Plus is in and working perfectly.
I installed the Aycetry camera as per instructions, and via a separate AV monitor, can confirm that when I put the DSG into reverse, the camera image appears on the AV screen, so I know I wired the camera correctly and it is working.

However, when I connect the yellow AV cable into the AV cable adapter that came with the RCD330 (blue square plug with a white and black wire and yellow AV plug at the other end) and put the car into reverse, I get black screen and 'The "rear view" camera system is currently not available' with an OK button.

I have enabled bit 6 'back up camera installed' in VCDS, and I cannot for the life of me work out what I have done/not done to make this happen.

I'm praying you went through this also and have the solution, because i'm fast running out of ideas. I don't believe I need the timer delay box as the the badge camera has the built in timer, and don't need an RGB converter, as both the camera and RCD accept a composite video input.

The joys of retrofit troubleshooting! Any input from everyone appreciated :)

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious if anyone has attemped to get mirrorlink to work while driving? I know there is a coding thing for the OEM unit, but would it work on this as well? Wanting to try to use my Torque App on the headunit instead of my phone as the display.