GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$1500 for 7 year 75k Mile Warranty worth it?

colslaw87

Ready to race!
I got the extended warranty for my 2012 GTI.

The factory warranty of 3/36K was bumped to 10/86K for 1,000 dollars on the total price of the vehicle.

The car will be paid off before the warranty ends! At 3 years or 36,000 miles ... I'm going to be glad I still have the warranty for another 7 years!

cacophony555

Ready to race!
I got the extended warranty for my 2012 GTI.

The factory warranty of 3/36K was bumped to 10/86K for 1,000 dollars on the total price of the vehicle.

The car will be paid off before the warranty ends! At 3 years or 36,000 miles ... I'm going to be glad I still have the warranty for another 7 years!

What company is backing that extended warranty? (and no it's not VW, regardless of whether VW dealerships honor it). I had heard 7 years was the longest you could get. Also, what's your deductible, and which dealership did you purchase it at? Is it bumper to bumper?

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
The only after market ones I had any faith in were the ones endorsed by USAA(Assurant) and Pentagon Federal(Route 66). Which was around $1200 for 5-6years/100k with no deductible. Decided against it since I've got CPO warranty and 100k recall warranty on the dsg.

OldDirty

Ready to race!
Yeah eff that if there is a $100 deductible for each issue....I'd rather take it to my indie mechanic anyway.

rmchung

Ready to race!
The one the dealer offered me was like $1000 for 7/100. Deductible is waived if I take warranty related items to that dealership. Also, if I did not make any warranty claims past the factory warranty, I would get the cost of the extended warranty back less $50. I figure, if nothing happens and don't make a warranty claim, it's only going to cost $50.

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
Extended warranties always benefit the seller, not the purchaser or they
would not sell them. Additionally there are many exclusions in them so read it carefully to see what is actually covered.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Insurance is a form of risk transfer. The insurance company relies on the law of large numbers, knows the relationship among those who use the insurance and those who don’t, and prices the service according to make a reasonable profit.

The decision to buy insurance should be less about whether the insurance company will make money as it is about whether “you” can handle a large future repair bill. If you know you can’t handle a potential multi-thousand dollar future repair bill, you let someone else pick up that monster bill in exchange for a “small” extra cost today that you can handle. One is a manageable cost. The other is not manageable. It is a personal call.

greine16

Ready to race!
take my word

Seven years is a long time. How many cars does anyone know that went for four years after the B2B ended with ZERO problems? Even the most reliable cars generally have one or two minor issues that cost about $300 per repair (two hours of labor and $100 for parts). And as much as we all love our GTIs, we all know they are not THE most reliable cars on the road.

So realistically you will probably spend at least $600 for repairs in years four through seven. If this $600 assumption seems reasonable and those expected repairs are fixed for free under your extended warranty, doesn’t that reduce your net cost from $1,300 to $700? The odds are extremely high you will get some use out of it.

I adjust and look at claims all day long at headquarters so I would know what the average vehicle allowance typically is during the first 36,000K's and ill tell you that its well worth the investment. Some of the well known problems such as nox sensors, EGR valves throttle body's, and turbos all easy put you at or over what you payed in for your warranty and i don't know very many people who've got that kinda dough sitting around for a crappy event like that to happen. like people said if you use it your protected if not then your investment gets returned at a prorated time value that seems fair.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
and how much was all that, $2k, $3k? :eek: are you going to do any modding?

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
like $1500 for it all I beleive and the modding has already started but my buddy is the head service tech at my dealership and handles all my stuff if needed and warranties all the installs because he does them :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
there is no way that was all $1500 ;)

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
im pretty sure it was close to that i think 500 for the lifetime tires and 1,000 to 1,300 for the extended warranty