GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilpack or Sparkplug, Both?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Hello Everyone, I a brief question. I flashed Cobb Stage 1 High Boost two days ago, and I didn't have any issues until this afternoon. On my way home from class, I went WOT in 5th or 6th gear and the car immediately bogged down. The EPC light came on, but a restart cleared it, and then I had a CEL which was misfire cylinder 2. I flashed the car back to stock and the CEL cleared. The car runs perfectly fine, except when I am in 6th gear and attempt to get on the gas, it misfires but the CEL doesn't come on. Do y'all think its the coilpack or the sparkplug? Or another cause? Thanks for the help.

If I don't respond for a while it's because I'm at work.

Last edited:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Its the coils, its a common problem sometimes the stock coils blow either immediately or days after a tune.

If your mileage is high (above 50k) it would be a good time to change the plugs as well.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Its the coils, its a common problem sometimes the stock coils blow either immediately or days after a tune.

If your mileage is high (above 50k) it would be a good time to change the plugs as well.

Thanks for your reply.

I already have a set of BKR7EIX plugs on hand because I'm going stage 2+ in a few weeks (can't wait to get a stratified protune). I also have a set okada coils on order, but I'll have to pick up a new stock coil for the time being.

Nice to see another Dallas GTI owner on here.

Last edited:

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I changed both at 60k miles. OEM red top R8 coils and NGK plugs.

Chris659

Ready to race!
Thanks for your reply.

I already have a set of BKR7EIX plugs on hand because I'm going stage 2+ in a few weeks (can't wait to get a stratified protune). I also have a set okada coils on order, but I'll have to pick up a new stock coil for the time being.

Nice to see another Dallas GTI owner on here.

Interested in hearing some feedback once you get the Okada coils running. Only seen one review of them on a Vw (Hyde16)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Interested in hearing some feedback once you get the Okada coils running. Only seen one review of them on a Vw (Hyde16)
expensive for nothing coils you mean?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I believe that would be the ones yes

Lol, that's the consensus on them for this platform. I know they produce numbers on other engines. From what I've read tuning is where they can shine. I'm getting a stratified protune so hopefully they can maximize them.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
expensive for nothing coils you mean?

Yeah I'm expecting minimal gains, but since Cobb allows for protuning now hopefully they can be maximized. And there was little feedback on them for this car I figured I'd buy a set. IIRC Hyde was running APR software when he tested the coils.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I'm expecting minimal gains, but since Cobb allows for protuning now hopefully they can be maximized. And there was little feedback on them for this car I figured I'd buy a set. IIRC Hyde was running APR software when he tested the coils.
I mean the $100 R8 coils work just as good compared to your $700 plasma coils. That extra $600 is an intercooler or piping you could have added to the car for real gains. Or hell thats even 30% of a k04 upgrade.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Replaced the Coilpack for Cylinder #2, misfires cured. Thanks for the help everyone. I noticed that the new Black Top look different than the one I took off, invoice for the part said VW updated them.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I mean the $100 R8 coils work just as good compared to your $700 plasma coils. That extra $600 is an intercooler or piping you could have added to the car for real gains.
Holy ballsack batman $700 coils! Here I linked used $50 r8 red tops. I'm completely ignorant to the differences but what's the gain?
Here is a link to the info I have on why we need to upgrade our coils when tuned. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45050

It would seem like the R8 coils could handle even stage 3 tunes.

We're not here to tell u how to spend your money but to make sure you have all the information needed for your sake.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I mean the $100 R8 coils work just as good compared to your $700 plasma coils. That extra $600 is an intercooler or piping you could have added to the car for real gains. Or hell thats even 30% of a k04 upgrade.

Yes I agree they cost too damn much. I bought a FMIC, turbo muffler delete, all boost piping, fluidampr, etc. practically every bolt on I could get, everything should be going on the car in a few weeks. Got a ported stock turbo (300 bucks), not trying to go K04, will probably eventually go the route hyde is with the EFR series but that'll be years from now.