GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock DSG torque rating

Tempest99

Hey everyone. Does anyone have data on exactly how much torque the stock DSG can take? I have a 2014 GTI with the APR Stage 1 tune which is like 100 lbs-ft above stock.

I don't take my car to the track and get on it only occasionally, but I'm wondering what you've seen in terms of the ability of this trans to handle that torque increase.

I've read about APR's DSG upgrade and how it's supposed to increase clamping force to provide better acceleration and durability through less clutch slippage, but that's APR talking. Someone on this board mentioned they hadn't seen an increase in clamping force with the APR DSG tune.

If the APR Stage 1 tune is too much for the stock DSG, what have you done to beef it up?

Thanks in advance!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Stock DSG can handle stage 1 no problem. I do not have the #'s handy.

I may botch this statement a bit so shake the salt shaker...
It's not so much that the untuned trans can't HANDLE the power, but it's electronically limiting the full torque. And when I say full torque, that means when you go K04 or more i believe. Stage 2 you should get all the torque it has to offer still.

The higher rev limiter is what makes the DSG tune really worth it IMO.

Tempest99

Thanks for the info, Rice! That makes me feel better, at least in terms of reliability. It's my daily driver and I'd like it to last while still having fun with it.

Going to look into some of the DSG tunes. One thing that's kind of maddening is the stock programming and how there is a huge difference between D and S mode. D is pretty much asleep at the wheel, while S seems hyperaggressive by comparison. Paddle-shifting gives a decent compromise, though like S mode, first gear launch is just that: a launch. Hard to do that smoothly in city driving.

Tempest99

Thanks Jay. Great to hear. I mean it's the same trans in the newer GTI's with more power and of course the Audi's with more power, so I felt pretty sure the limits were a lot higher than what the stock GTI could dish out.

avni

Ready to race!
I'm stage 2 with no DSG tune.

Just do the DSG service you good

SJC

Ready to race!
I’m Unitronic Stg 2 for tcu and ecu .
The tcu program is worth upgrading to.

demon342

Ready to race!
anyone have numbers for the manual trans?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
anyone have numbers for the manual trans?
like 16ftlbs.

No in all honesty though based on forum experience the manual clutch is weak and needs replacing for pretty much any upgraded power.

Some people get by fine at stage 1 but most people feel the clutch slip with anything above stage 1.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Which is the best tcu tune to increase the clamping force?

I had to go custom to get that. I called all the folks from Uni, APR, GIAC etc and all told me that there was no increase in clamping force in their TCU tunes.