GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting some squeaks and rattles.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I found the fix to most of the rattles a long time ago....

door creaks/rattles - insert 1/4" vinyl drain tube along the top of the doors to stop the rubber from flexing against the body

rear seat latch creaks/rattles - wrap a piece of velcro (soft side) around the flat part of the anchor which the latch holds on to.

That one is hit or miss. I did it and still have rattles going over bumps.

I've been chasing down rattles for a while and decided it's pointless to continue. Every one I fix two new ones pop up. It's the nature of the beast. Just look at the mk7 thread on vortex and you'll see new 2015 owners dealing with rattles and creaks. In mine there are so many creaks it's like driving in a 20 year old cheap motel bed.

I used to take drives with no music just to try and find the source and it's maddening. Pure insanity to try and tackle them all. I'm not taking off every single panel of my car.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Anyway... Here's pics:

Good luck and happy hunting:thumbsup:

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
I use to try to fix the rattles and squeaks but it's futile. Now I just turn the music up.

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I think that helped with wind noise more than rattles. Cheap and easy to do so why not?

I'm hoping it fixes the squeaky creaky noise I get from the doors as I go over speed bumps and out of the parking garage. The silicon spray I use works for a time so I know that's the weather stripping.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
SailKote.

It's a marine dry lubricant spray.
Spray it on the felt portion of your weather stripping - and for that matter on or anything else that's giving you an auditory problem.
It's far and away the best thing I've ever tried for such things.
'Matter of fact, it's the only thing that's given me real results.

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I think I got the major squeaks now. I got the 1/4 inch tubing in and put down some more silicone lubricant

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Finally figured out the embed! Here's a vid :)

Sailkote.

Think about this sound.
We refer to it as a squeak or rattle, but it's more like the sound a balloon makes when rubbed (for those of us who rub balloons, or a leather jacket, or rubber boots sound.
It's the sound of rubber meeting felt, and rubbing against each other.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Finally figured out the embed! Here's a vid :)

Damn that is one annoying sound:eek:

I found this ghetto mod helped a lot:

Used a tiny bit of gorilla tape and it no longer sounds like my passenger door is falling off on rough roads. (This is a different rattle than the squeaking shown in the vid). I'd say it's 95% better. Still a tiny rattle that I think I'd have to yank the door panel off to get to it. Maybe another day.

ForzaGTI

Ready to race!
ElectricEye, how does SailKote compare to Infinilube (dry silicon based) for this application/fix?

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
If there is still more noise, buy some UHMW tape and put that on the inside of the upper door jamb where the felt touches when the doors are closed.

Here is a different post I made on this issue:

My car recently developed the door seal creak. After watching this video from LasthumansGarage I am positive this is the noise.

A little bit of research on this page shows that the best fix is the tape, either Felt or something else with low friction. Any other things I should try? Edit* seems like 1/4" tubing will work too. I grabbed some from work and will try it tonight.

Check out this thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16829&page=24

As I posted on page 24 there, the best fixes for me were:
  1. Putting the 1/4" tubing in the top of the felt seal for the door.
  2. Putting the tape on the inside of the upper door jamb where the felt touches when the doors are closed.

(There's pictures in that thread and ill try to post some tonight).