GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2568

Tempest99

Everyone, I have a mystery code that my dealer isn't even sure about. Car is a 2014 GTI TSI that has an APR Stage 1 tune, nothing else. Car got the tune about a year ago with no issues whatsoever.

94,000 miles on it and the CEL went on last week. I got this code which indicates an O2 sensor issue but doesn't specify which one. Dealer thinks there may be something else at play here and is calling VW tech for assistance.

Anyone else have this?

Tempest99

Thanks a lot for that!

That may also answer the question as to why my temp indicator went up on the highway last Friday. I was doing about 75 mph on a hot day with the air on and the temp went up to about 210, or so. It's never ever gone past 190 under any conditions, so this was unusual.

I turned the A/C off and it went down to 190, but I think it may have crept back up again. Well short of the red zone but still, it's never moved off 190 when the car is warmed up.

I sent a link of that thread to the dealer mechanic who is working on it. He was going to ask his son who has all kinds of APR stuff on his car. I told him I would also call the APR place to see if they had any knowledge, but I think you answered everything already.

Thanks again!

Tempest99

Follow up after getting car back.

No repairs were made. Tech drove the car around in today's heat (95F) hooked up to his laptop with the air running and everything checked out fine. I mentioned the radiator sensor that I got linked to on this thread and I'm pretty sure he said my car doesn't have one.

Anyway, he thinks the temp rise I saw may be due to my A/C condenser getting banged up from all the highway miles (94,000 mostly highway) and restricting airflow to the radiator. He said that would require replacement of the condenser. If not that, then possibly a communication issue between the temp sensor and the thermostat which may also require replacement of the pump. He doubted that because this pump is a factory replacement when the stock one stated leaking two years ago.

The CEL code P2568 he explained might be due to warm up times, as in how long it takes to get to operating temp. He suggested I just keep driving it and keep an eye on the temp gauge. I ran it today myself in 95 degree heat with A/C on and it didn't budge past 190.

I fully expect the CEL light to go back on tomorrow but we'll see.

Tempest99

Forgot to add, from the threads I was linked to it sounds like a lot of people with this code had their radiator/sensor replaced but the code still popped up.

I guess I'm glad my dealer didn't just replace parts willy-nilly. When I first talked to the tech he told me the code pointed to an O2 sensor possibly, which I already suspected from reading around, but because there are 3 of them and the code wasn't telling him which one, he wasn't going to replace anything until he talked to VW tech help.

After looking at my A/C condenser, it is pretty banged up from a lot of high speed highway collisions with stones, so the limited airflow theory makes sense. Especially since i had the A/C on when the temp went up a bit, so it must have been rejecting heat past the radiator along with restricting the flow of cooler outside air. Temps are supposed to drop about 20 degrees overnight around here so I may not run into this issue over the next few days.

Tempest99

Ok, so I drove my car to work today, 20+ miles of mostly expressway driving with the A/C off because outside temps were in the high 60's, and after about 20 minutes on the expy my temps started to creep up to about 200-210F.

Upon exiting the expressway that temp was maintained for the brief 40 mph stretch to hook up with another expressway with the cooling fans running full blast. When I was getting on the second expressway, under hard acceleration, the temps climbed higher to maybe 220 per the factory temp gauge.

It's never done this before. I've had APR Stage 1 for over a year now and the temp gauge has never budged. But reading some other threads here, none of you seem concerned about 220 degree temps. I mean the red zone on the gauge is up around 260, so I know I have room before I need to take drastic action.

But my concern is the change in behavior after all this time might indicate something is wrong. I had my water pump replaced maybe 30,000 miles ago. And the CEL with the stupid code P2568 that sent me to the dealer yesterday in the first place has not come on.

Anybody else seeing cooling temps climbing above 190 without having made any additional performance mods? Like I said, from reading some of the threads, many of you are probably laughing at my concerns about cooling temps in the 210 degree range. But my gauge has never budged from 190 ever under any conditions until now.

Tempest99

Wanted to update everyone on this.

Took my car, 2014 GTI with 92,000 mostly highway miles, back to the dealer and they were able to duplicate the temperature rise and the diagnosis was a bad water pump. Mind you, my water pump was already replaced under recall around 55k for leakage. This time around there was no leakage, nothing to indicate a cooling issue other than the temp rise.

Told the dealer to go ahead and replace it and they gave me a loaner. In the meantime I talked to a local European auto repair place and they said that they've seen the TSI water pump impellers start slipping from the shaft. Not sure if the impellers are keyed into the shaft with a keyway, or how the two components are held together. But the implication was that the shaft may be turning but the impeller wasn't, or was turning slower than it should due to the slippage.

Anyway, $1180 later I got my car back. I asked the dealer to break down the cost for me and it went roughly as follows: 5 hours labor x $140/hr = $700. Water pump, I think ~$200. Coolant flush and refill, $150. Then some miscellaneous parts and tax brought it up to the miserable dollar amount shown above.

You may be interested in knowing that my P2568 code has disappeared with the replacement of the water pump. I like my tech at the dealership, he warned me long ago to change the oil every 5K because of the timing tensioner failures. His initial diagnosis of the P2568 (after calling it a mystery because nobody had ever seen it) was the time it takes the coolant to warm up was not within spec. He said there is a calculation in the ECU that has to do with that warm up period and if it isn't met, it trips the light.

The problem is determining why that is happening. If my water pump was acting up, as in slipping like the other place I called said, maybe low coolant flow was leading to improper warm-up times?

Most of you know more than I do about the ins and outs of the VW ECU, and maybe there is a coolant flow sensor, though if I had to guess that may only be to detect if there is coolant flow (yes/no) and not actually measuring the flow rate being delivered by the pump. So the ECU may have been detecting some flow, but the pump wasn't delivering enough.