GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

...vs. BMW 1 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP335

Go Kart Champion
Run from a roll? Don't get how you would beat it any other way. Mid 13 second car stock. Thought stage 3 was faster than k04, and people with k04s are posting high 12 second 1/4.

I just asked my friend and he said he has stage 2+ or something. He has a k04 set up but not the rest of the components needed for stage 3. I'm guessing better intercooler and bigger brakes amongst other things.

ScoGold

Passed Driver's Ed
I just test drove the 128i and was not terribly impressed for what you get for the $$$ (even a Certified Pre-Owned BMW). The performance both around town and at 70mph was very similar to what I experienced with my 2010 Golf TDi test drive.

That being said I think I would be happier with the extra $10,000 and better fuel economy with the TDi.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I just test drove the 128i and was not terribly impressed for what you get for the $$$ (even a Certified Pre-Owned BMW). The performance both around town and at 70mph was very similar to what I experienced with my 2010 Golf TDi test drive.

That being said I think I would be happier with the extra $10,000 and better fuel economy with the TDi.

No doubt the 128i is pricey but comparing its performance to a TDI is a stretch. The 128 has 230 HP while the TDI has 140. Yes the TDI has a lot of torque but the 128 does 0-60 in under 6 seconds with a MT while tests show the TDI is closer to 9 seconds. That's a huge difference.

msmΘΘb

Banned
Did you not read my first post on page 2?

I'll take the time to address the ones you decided to address, but I'll also take the time to address the other ones I labelled as false.

Why would you take the numbers off BMW's website when I've already stated that they underrate their specs. It's the same reason why we know that the GTI doesn't do 7.1 sec (manual) and 6.9 sec (dsg) which is also VW's own numbers.

If you don't believe me and you are clearly too lazy to go and read up since you're afraid of finding out that you're wrong, then click these few links and do a quick skim.

Autoblog report on B8 S4 being underrated which also takes note of the 335 being underrated. Do a quick skim to the mid section of the report.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/28/report-evidence-mounting-that-2010-audi-s4-is-underrated/

Blog that has a baseline dyno of a stock 335 back in 2007
http://danielmiessler.com/blog/the-bmw-335is-power-is-underrated

Edmunds report back in 2006 which does a full dyno and analysis(man looking back at this initial report on the 335 tells me just how behind you are and how misinformed you are)
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-series/2007/full-test-2007-bmw-335i-coupe.html

If you don't believe those reports then you can click these two baseline dynos

I see. I misunderstood you the first time and thought you'd "get there" faster.

Sigh. Just no. You are only theorycrafting this since you don't have first hand experience coupled with the fact that you are convincing yourself that the 335 does 0-60 in 5.3/5.5 seconds. Hopefully you actually took the time to read above and realize that you were wrong and BMW has underrated it's HP/TQ output and 0-60 times.

Sorry, wrong again.

335 actually puts down closer to 350hp, so, pardon me, it's a 74hp advantage.

Again, wrong. The 335 will actually be the one with the advantage - 350 vs 314. 36lbs torque advantage.

So let's see - 74hp + 36lbs tq advantage. :eek:

Again, if you did any research other than browsing the BMW website, you'd understand that the difference is not hefty(.1 sec difference).

It's "DUAL" as in two, not "DUEL" as in a fight. Why are you bringing up this point? You aren't comparing a GTI Manual to GTI DSG here buddy. You can also get the DCT (dual clutch transmission) in the 135i and 335is these days or have had it since late 2008 in EU.

For the other false statements I called you out on, which you decided to leave out. I'll address these to prove a point and make it clear that you need to do more research on any subject before you start preaching your "facts."

So wrong the first time around, even moreso now that I've posted correct info for you to theorycraft.

lol... Yes, it should be.

Yup, they do. You're wrong. Again.

Search e90post.com and youtube.com is your friend.

:cool:

Oh hi there. Haven't posted in a while. I've been trying to take a break from the cocaine. Care to continue this discussion? Did everyone finally agree that I am right?

FasDarken

Ready to race!
dude don't poke the bear...imo this thread should be locked.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
msmΘΘb;84990 said:
Oh hi there. Haven't posted in a while. I've been trying to take a break from the cocaine. Care to continue this discussion? Did everyone finally agree that I am right?

oh hai there troll

nice.

N8ive Creech

Passed Driver's Ed
Why is it everytime I log on to this fucking forum I'm reading a new thread about people bashing the very car that they just spent 25,000 grand or more on. I like my car. Thats why I bought the damn thing. Not so I can log onto the internet at 1 in the morning wearing nothing but a thong to bitch that some other car that i could of bought is better. Find a new hobby people. Cuz i dont think this one is working out for you.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
Why bump a thread that has been dormant for two weeks?

Why click on a "MK6 Vs ...." thread if you don't want to take the chance on seeing comments that "car x" might have some advantages over your GTI?

For the most part I've been impressed with these threads*. I seriously expected a bunch of idiotic fanboy responses, but a lot of the members here seem to have fairly balanced views.

*In general. I haven't read this particular thread.

ExplodingBrain

Passed Driver's Ed
I just noticed this thread today. It's amazing. BUT, it's also pointless. People who drive GTIs and BMWs don't (or shouldn't) care much about 0-60 times and drag racing. We care a lot more about handling. Let's take a GTI and a 1-series to an autoslalom/autocross event, and see which car posts the best time. Preferably with the same driver.

My neighbour across the street has a 135, and there is an autoslalom meet here this Saturday, maybe I can persuade him to go. And to let me drive his car. :)

msm00b

Ready to race!
msmΘΘb;84990 said:

It's good to know that I've managed to crawl so far up inside that guy's sandy vagina.

I love this thread.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.