GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Follower Wear

That had nothing to do with it. VW didn't want the R's grenading due to lateral G's...

ya..can you even achieve max G's with your R??? :iono:

.they stuck an FSI motor in there and just for kicks, gave ya undefeatable traction/ stab control so you can be slower around the cones at an autocross/ track than a new Accord. :confused:

no modern VW gets near its lateral potential cos of their track-inhibiting /intrusive stab/ TC electronics.

Last edited:

RocknRoll

Passed Driver's Ed
.they stuck an FSI motor in there and just for kicks, gave ya undefeatable traction/ stab control so you can be slower around the cones at an autocross/ track than a new Accord

Yea that does suck, wait.....

WHAT?!?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
How long did you run the HPFP for? That cam follow looks like you could do another 20k not sure though.
Absolutely not. The black DLC coating is gone and friction and wear will go way up, and the cam lobe is going to get the worst of it. The cam follower is being replaced just in time.

That had nothing to do with it. VW didn't want the R's grenading due to lateral G's...
The only reason why they used the FSI engine in the R is because it was K04-ready.

You act like I didn't drive a mk5 or something...and what rock have you been living under? traction control has been defeated many moons ago.

if the 2013 R's have fully defeatable TC/ Stab Control... then I am wrong. Last time I read up on 2012 R's, all the mags were whining about undefeatable TC/Stab

Yea that does suck, wait.....

WHAT?!?

not being a dick or anything, cos I do so want to love the R, but I understood that the R cannot achieve its full potential around a track cos of undefeatable Stability control...so a poster's point about EA888's implosion cos of super high lateral g's would be mute.... stick an EA888 motor in the R and keep the Stab control... no implosion of motor due to super high lateral G's cos the computer would intervene :D

I'm going off the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uDzeDP1eo

Vagcom can defeat all electrical nannies ensuring true R fun.

oh I see. So stock it still has SC/ TC?

The FSI was and still is a very robust engine.

The reason the Cam follower wears so much is due mostly "because it cannot run in lean burn mode (US NOx regs), sooo... there is additional fuel in the oil. The high levels of sulfur/crap fuel in our US fuel damage the viscosity of the oil at a much higher rate, causing premature wear of the cam follower due to the oil losing its viscosity much faster then it would in Europe... where this FSI engine never had the cam follower issues.

Cam follower failure is lubrication related, and cos the FSI was never allowed to run in "lean burn/ stratified" mode (like it does in Europe)... it destroys oil very very quickly, and as a result... destroys the black dlc coating on the follower within 15-20k miles.

I did my research years ago. :)

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
if the 2013 R's have fully defeatable TC/ Stab Control... then I am wrong. Last time I read up on 2012 R's, all the mags were whining about undefeatable TC/Stab

Its defeated in my 2012. The car mags you read know much less about these cars than the VW tuning community. The R community found the defeat and the solution was later discovered to apply to 2012/13 GTI's.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
not being a dick or anything, cos I do so want to love the R, but I understood that the R cannot achieve its full potential around a track cos of undefeatable Stability control...so a poster's point about EA888's implosion cos of super high lateral g's would be mute....

Three things:
1. I was really kinda /joking/ about the high lateral G's with the EA888...

2. Not to be too big of a grammar nazi, but for the love of God man. It's MOOT point. Not "mute" point

3. The Golf R's electrical nannies can be fully disabled

Three things:
1. I was really kinda /joking/ about the high lateral G's with the EA888...

2. Not to be too big of a grammar nazi, but for the love of God man. It's MOOT point. Not "mute" point

3. The Golf R's electrical nannies can be fully disabled

on #2: I didn't realize. Thx for the correction.

1FastGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a piece of info for all of you do some more research the golf r has a redesigned cam follower with a ball bearing roller on the end to prevent this issue (because we all rose hell about it)

Just a piece of info for all of you do some more research the golf r has a redesigned cam follower with a ball bearing roller on the end to prevent this issue (because we all rose hell about it)

links? where you get this info? Interesting....

Bozz

Go Kart Champion

In for this "redesigned cam follower"...please come back 1FastGTI and post about it....like a part# or supplier? more info?

1FastGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
In for this "redesigned cam follower"...please come back 1FastGTI and post about it....like a part# or supplier? more info?

DO NOT TRUST your Volkswagen dealer they all lie so disregard my last statement just did some 'recon' myself and no it still is the same