GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone had their turbo sound like this?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
That is a blown turbo. Do not drive that car. My 2010 TDI did the exact same thing and the cause was a busted shaft in the turbo. This caused the fans to bounce around the turbo housing, shredding the blades and sending metal all through the intercooler. Luckily nothing made it back to the engine. Cost $4000 to repair. Here what mine looked like. I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
That is a blown turbo. Do not drive that car. My 2010 TDI did the exact same thing and the cause was a busted shaft in the turbo. This caused the fans to bounce around the turbo housing, shredding the blades and sending metal all through the intercooler. Luckily nothing made it back to the engine. Cost $4000 to repair. Here what mine looked like. I'm sorry for your loss.

Wow....I did drive it, more than I should've too [emoji29]

Rain screwed over my part removal start yesterday, just hasn't been started yet because of the holiday and being out of town.

Did you hear trash (fragments in the pipes) when it first did that? At first it didn't smoke, later on it was literally a chimney.

Was $4K with labor, or did you have to have head work done?

I am considering a CR170 turbo since I am Stage 2 Malone and planned to keep the car as a project/track unit. I will be doing the work myself too, so labor is my own time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Wish I could remember the other guy that posted a video just like this...It was about a month ago, but I can't even remember if it was on facebook or here, and I don't remember what the verdict was. I'm useless...

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Wow....I did drive it, more than I should've too [emoji29]

Rain screwed over my part removal start yesterday, just hasn't been started yet because of the holiday and being out of town.

Did you hear trash (fragments in the pipes) when it first did that? At first it didn't smoke, later on it was literally a chimney.

Was $4K with labor, or did you have to have head work done?

I am considering a CR170 turbo since I am Stage 2 Malone and planned to keep the car as a project/track unit. I will be doing the work myself too, so labor is my own time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No mine sounded exactly like your video. I just heard a loud pop when shifting into second and then thought I was getting pulled over by a 1920’s motorcycle cop.

I am going to guess your issue is the shaft as well based on the smoke. Engine oil is used to lubricate the turbo shaft so if it broke I could see a fair bit of oil going into the exhaust manifold. Regardless the actually circumstances that turbo is toast. I would totally upgrade. I would have but I was in Alaska when mine went and I was lucky to even get an oem replacement. $4000 was parts and labor.

Last edited: