GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help please, engine oil leak

ciprigudea

Hi all , new here looking for help.
Oil leak on cylinder head.
Anyone experienced the same on a 09 gti manual?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, there’s loads of threads about this! Where does the oil appear to be coming from exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ciprigudea

Thanks a million, it dribble out on right back part of the cylinder head, I'm losing around 5 ml a day,

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Could also be upper timing cover, they liked to leak around bottom of gasket which can coat back of engine block and also run along the cylinder head

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Could also be upper timing cover, they liked to leak around bottom of gasket which can coat back of engine block and also run along the cylinder head

AKA "cylinder head cover." (I'm not trying to be pedantic, just want to help make searches for info easier). If you run a search or three on cylinder head cover leaks you might find a bit of information. Mine has been seeping very slowly on the rear side of the engine above the turbo for years now, but it's such a slow leak I haven't really felt that it was worth the headache to fix.

This particular part isn't a traditional "valve cover" but an actual stressed part of the engine because the camshaft bearing caps are integrated into it.

Also have a close look at the upper and lower timing chain covers. My upper timing chain cover has had to be replaced a couple of times over the years.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
AKA "cylinder head cover." (I'm not trying to be pedantic, just want to help make searches for info easier). If you run a search or three on cylinder head cover leaks you might find a bit of information. Mine has been seeping very slowly on the rear side of the engine above the turbo for years now, but it's such a slow leak I haven't really felt that it was worth the headache to fix.

This particular part isn't a traditional "valve cover" but an actual stressed part of the engine because the camshaft bearing caps are integrated into it.

Also have a close look at the upper and lower timing chain covers. My upper timing chain cover has had to be replaced a couple of times over the years.

I'm talking about the upper timing chain cover. But yes the cam girdle is known to leak too due to the sealant gasket weeping over time.