GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior LED question

demon342

Ready to race!
Seen only a few people change the LED colors in the interior so I know its possible but I'm just getting a shopping list for preparation. My question is, what type of LED's do I need. I know most are PLCC-2 but what size do I need and what luminous intensity matches OEM?

I was thinking about these:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...eGfSY3csMkdgyOOAg6kv2adCP27z4uoV0jImSRVXMqA==

But this doesn't look like the factory LED like I've seen in other threads

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Check out deAutokey. They make full kits that are fantastic.

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
I still have leftover LEDs at home so I'll confirm tonight after work, but I'm almost certain I used size 2512 and 0805 PLCC-2 LEDs. There are also through-hole LEDs in the overhead dome light unit. I did the LED swap back in 2017 when I had limited knowledge of LEDs, now here I am today doing a few custom lighting projects I'm working on commercializing. I didn't even know what mouser or digikey were at the time so I ordered all of my LEDs through Amazon and do not know their luminous intensity. They are a little brighter than stock LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting a good camera soon so I'll have to take better pics.

demon342

Ready to race!
Looks sick, This will work on my 2011 right? Your climate controls and radio are different from mine but the principle should be the same

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks sick, This will work on my 2011 right? Your climate controls and radio are different from mine but the principle should be the same
Thanks. I upgraded my radio head unit and climatronic unit. The principle would be the same on any make/model though, you are just desoldering LEDs then soldering new LEDs in their place.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
OP, you want the flat square shaped PLCC-2s, not the dome top one you linked. I think you may need one or 2 of the done top depending on what sort of headlight switch you have.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138528

Last few posts are from me, documenting my swap. Mk5, but should be very similar.

I needed a handful of these.

Reverse mount. There’s a link in the thread I posted to purchase.

I needed a few 1206 and 0805. I bought all LEDs from seller bright house LEDs on eBay.

Buy extra if you’ve never worked with LEDs before, it’s easy to melt them by accident. Watch some YouTube videos to learn how.

I swapped my backlighting for blue. On the door lock switch, the amber would mix with the blue and it would look purple, so I swapped the amber for white.

In the mk5, the ambient lighting from the overhead console (red LEDs) isn’t accessible without breaking off the plastic surrounding it. May want to order a replacement to experiment on.

I’d never done any LEDs before. Just need a lot of patience.

Tons of troubleshooting/trial and error involved. Most of the time is spent removing the switches/panels and getting access to the LEDs. In terms of soldering itself, it’s only a few hours if you’re a fast learner.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks - we have a ton of options now for 2019.

Complete interior LED kit:
http://deautokey.com/product/14pc-c...kit-error-free-fits-09-up-volkswagen-golf-mk6

You can choose from single color red, white or blue footwells. Or color changing front footwells.

We now have front/rear footwells color changing and single color white/red/blue:
http://deautokey.com/product/front-...l-volkswagen-with-194-front-footwell-housings

And if you want red or blue dome/trunk/glove box/sun visor you can contact them for a custom kit: Support@deAutoLED.com

demon342

Ready to race!
OP, you want the flat square shaped PLCC-2s, not the dome top one you linked. I think you may need one or 2 of the done top depending on what sort of headlight switch you have.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138528

Last few posts are from me, documenting my swap. Mk5, but should be very similar.

I needed a handful of these.

Reverse mount. There’s a link in the thread I posted to purchase.

I needed a few 1206 and 0805. I bought all LEDs from seller bright house LEDs on eBay.

Buy extra if you’ve never worked with LEDs before, it’s easy to melt them by accident. Watch some YouTube videos to learn how.

I swapped my backlighting for blue. On the door lock switch, the amber would mix with the blue and it would look purple, so I swapped the amber for white.

In the mk5, the ambient lighting from the overhead console (red LEDs) isn’t accessible without breaking off the plastic surrounding it. May want to order a replacement to experiment on.

I’d never done any LEDs before. Just need a lot of patience.

Tons of troubleshooting/trial and error involved. Most of the time is spent removing the switches/panels and getting access to the LEDs. In terms of soldering itself, it’s only a few hours if you’re a fast learner.

Holy crap! I just found the gold mine for changing out these LEDs. Thanks man!