GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Sway Bars

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
I was looking to get stronger aftermarket sway bars for the GTI. i dont know what size is the best for the front or rear. (22 or 24 for rear/26 or 28 for front) also i dont know which company is the best value or quaility. should i go with the H&R, APR, Neuspeed, or any other ones that i dont know of???

woofie2

Ready to race!
I have used H&R and Neuspeed Bars, and they are both very similar and very good.

Vogtland or Eibach would be others worth looking into, I have had a few friends rocking Hotchkis Tuning bars.

for the 2010 GTI I think H&R is the only bar I have seen for them, I am sure all the major companies will be dropping their parts on the MKVI's soon.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
yeah i was looking at Hotchkis too

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
why do these threads die? :D
some of us need information to supply our mod-addicted minds!

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
From what I have researched before getting mine... in an MKV GTI magazine shootout between several tuner GTI's from several years back... for the most part they ran the smaller 26mm bar up front set to soft & the larger 24mm rear bar set to hard.

H&R runs all their GTI's with the smaller 26mm bar up front set to soft and the larger 24mm rear bar set to hard.

White James recommends the smaller 26mm bar up front set to soft and the smaller rear 22mm bar set to hard.

AWE's MKV time attack GTI only ran a special 28mm rear H&R rear sway bar... and that thing is fast.

I'm sure APR runs their in house bars... but I don't know what they set theirs at.

Me... I run just the bigger H&R 24mm rear sway bar set to soft with OEM up front... and it works just right for me... in the future I'll upgrade the front and run soft/ hard like the other setups... but for now I'm really happy with this setup... handling is nice and neutral, no snap oversteer, just a hint of controlled oversteer through fast corners which is just the way I like it... and it reduced overall body roll:)

Figure the harder the rear bar is = more oversteer... the harder the front bar is = more understeer

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
From what I have researched before getting mine... in an MKV GTI magazine shootout between several tuner GTI's from several years back... for the most part they ran the smaller 26mm bar up front set to soft & the larger 24mm rear bar set to hard.

H&R runs all their GTI's with the smaller 26mm bar up front set to soft and the larger 24mm rear bar set to hard.

White James recommends the smaller 26mm bar up front set to soft and the smaller rear 22mm bar set to hard.

AWE's MKV time attack GTI only ran a special 28mm rear H&R rear sway bar... and that thing is fast.

I'm sure APR runs their in house bars... but I don't know what they set theirs at.

Me... I run just the bigger H&R 24mm rear sway bar set to soft with OEM up front... and it works just right for me... in the future I'll upgrade the front and run soft/ hard like the other setups... but for now I'm really happy with this setup... handling is nice and neutral, no snap oversteer, just a hint of controlled oversteer through fast corners which is just the way I like it... and it reduced overall body roll:)

Figure the harder the rear bar is = more oversteer... the harder the front bar is = more understeer

That last principle makes complete sense.

I'm looking at buying a 23mm Eibach Rear Sway Bar just for a minor upgrade from stock to accompany an Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs.

Any more input?
I think you basically summed it all up though! :D

Ben1

Go Kart Champion
Let me know if you guys need great deals on those sways :). We're looking into Eibach or Neuspeed's as well!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
What I'm going to run (had it on my MKV):

H&R 24mm rear sway bar with stock front sway bar here :thumbsup:

No squeaks & no maintenance with the Teflon bushings (compared to poly bushings)

woofie2

Ready to race!

it all comes down to the driver's pants.

it depends on what the driver wants.
Most of the local SCCA guys with their FWD cars disconnect their front swaybar during races(some RWD guys do too), then reconnect them for street use.
but then with lower and stiffer race springs a sway bar is not really needed to help control body roll. The sway bar just adds more to the spring rate when turning.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
it all comes down to the driver's pants.

it depends on what the driver wants.
Most of the local SCCA guys with their FWD cars disconnect their front swaybar during races(some RWD guys do too), then reconnect them for street use.
but then with lower and stiffer race springs a sway bar is not really needed to help control body roll. The sway bar just adds more to the spring rate when turning.

Exactly... Affects weight transfer in turns... It's all physics:)

As the car rolls, with a stiffer rear sway bar, more force pushes down in the back of the car instead of the front making weight transfer to the back of the car... Which decreases understeer and increases oversteer.:thumbsup:

That's why knowing physics is fun... "knowledge makes power"... In this case it makes you faster around the turn:)

woofie2

Ready to race!
Exactly... Affects weight transfer in turns... It's all physics:)

As the car rolls, with a stiffer rear sway bar, more force pushes down in the back of the car instead of the front making weight transfer to the back of the car... Which decreases understeer and increases oversteer.:thumbsup:

That's why knowing physics is fun... "knowledge makes power"... In this case it makes you faster around the turn:)
Just because Joe likes his car setup one way does not mean that you will like it setup that way too.

Every driver is different, Ask Tony Kanaan and Danica Patrick, TK setup all of Andretti's cars for Indy, so they were all the same and all very fast, Danica could not get the same speed out of the car setup the same way. She complained then threw her team under the bus for not working with her, and the crowd boo'ed.
we have had to change our setup on our Silvercrown champ car to fit another driver's style after our driver of 20 years retired, one week at the track and the new driver was making the same speeds as the previous driver in the same car, and he completely changed the suspension. because he took the corners differently. one driver diamonded the corners of the track using the understeer and counter steer to corner, and faster cornering speeds, the other driver rolled the corners and used higher straight away speeds to carry the mile track.