GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cabin noise in Golf MK6

Ozone

I have just got my new Golf MK6 2011 1,6 tdi. Im generally happy with the car, but i think the cabin/road noise is to high. I measured the cabbin nois at 60kph to 73db, and at a 100kph its about 83db! Im currently driving on winter tyres, hakkapalitta 225/45 R17. I havent tried the summer tyres, but my experience is that winter tyres are softer, and should make less road noise.

Anybody who has the same problem?

it seems like the baggage compartment is poorly sound isolated, it sounds like a drum when i tap at the interior covering the wheel wells in the back.

Appriciate all help!

Cheers

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Winter tires will actually be louder due to their large tread blocks and tread design. I find my Golf pretty quiet but when I put my winters on it got significantly louder due to the tires.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Winter tires will actually be louder due to their large tread blocks and tread design. I find my Golf pretty quiet but when I put my winters on it got significantly louder due to the tires.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

mk6s are pretty quiet... even on my summer tires. I keep pressures down around 36 psi rather than 38.... helps with harshness and sound

Ozone

Tyre dimension

Thank you guys for the replies.

I understand that you guys are having a quiet ride, what kind of tyre dimensions are you using?

My summer tyres are 225/40 R18 on original Vancouver rims. (havent tried them yet)

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
Yes I also feel difference between summer and winter tires. I run in winter 215 50 17 pirelli, summer 225 40 18 brigstone.
As far as I know, MKVIs are the one of the lowest cabin noise level car in the market.

Thank you guys for the replies.

I understand that you guys are having a quiet ride, what kind of tyre dimensions are you using?

My summer tyres are 225/40 R18 on original Vancouver rims. (havent tried them yet)

225/40/18 on summer Contis...

sound levels at 70 mph are fine at 36 psi... can be a bit louder at recomended 38 psi...

how are the roads paved in Norway. Gritty asphalt I presume???

Submerge

Ready to race!
I dunno....I keep reading reviews about how quiet the MK6 is and etc. I came from an ordinary '07 civic, and was expecting the GTI to be a lot more quiet (from reviews and etc). Doesn't help that most econo japanese cars are notorious for noisy cabins (lacking sound deadening and etc).

I must say that I'm quiet disapointed with my GTI's cabin noise. I almost feel as though my firends MK5 is quieter than mine. I get road noise from tires, but its mostly wind noise I get (around 65-80mph). I don't know whether its tires or the typical "door seal" noise. I thought the factory already took care of the door seal issue for '11s. I haven't driven any other MK6, so I can't really compare.

I have the stock all season pirellis...don't know whether thats a contributing factor or not.

I dunno....I keep reading reviews about how quiet the MK6 is and etc. I came from an ordinary '07 civic, and was expecting the GTI to be a lot more quiet (from reviews and etc). Doesn't help that most econo japanese cars are notorious for noisy cabins (lacking sound deadening and etc).

I must say that I'm quiet disapointed with my GTI's cabin noise. I almost feel as though my firends MK5 is quieter than mine. I get road noise from tires, but its mostly wind noise I get (around 65-80mph). I don't know whether its tires or the typical "door seal" noise. I thought the factory already took care of the door seal issue for '11s. I haven't driven any other MK6, so I can't really compare.

I have the stock all season pirellis...don't know whether thats a contributing factor or not.

check your tire pressures. Keep it at below 38 psi.... sometimes the heat in LA will send your tire pressures way above 40 psi.... that means a ton of noise...

sirdudeth

Ready to race!
It's probably the condition of the roads that's causing the problem. Mine is relatively quite on the highway that's just been repaved, but on some of the back roads it is so loud because the pavement has gone so long without being resurfaced.

arkju

I think the tires are the culprit.

I test drove a 2010 GTD car back in summer on German autobahn (factory Pirellis installed) and it was very quiet inside.

Love the acceleration of those diesel engines...