GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rpm stutter *PLEASE HELP!!!*

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I'm gonna toss out a guess:

As the engine speed is not actually stuttering, it is just the needle. These are no longer hard-wired mechanical gauges; everything is digital and run through the CECM.

So my guess is that this is simply digital interference from another nearby signal, mildly annoying, but harmless.

303GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks to me that it is more the road conditions bouncing the needle a little bit. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I bet if you look at your spedometer needle it does the same thing.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
VCDS would show the RPM so you could compare it with the dash RPM?

Could be the cruise control pedaling the throttle to maintain constant speed??

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Looks to me that it is more the road conditions bouncing the needle a little bit. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I bet if you look at your spedometer needle it does the same thing.

Really? I don't know about that. Not saying you're wrong, or that I'm an expert, but those needles have a fair amount of torque the way they're designed. They should hold true no matter the road conditions. I mean, if the road conditions were really having that large of an effect on a NEEDLE, why isn't the camera shaking violently? Or some other vibrations, etc...

I think your theory, while the logic is there, is a little far-fetched. Nothing personal. :thumbsup:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
yup and they claim it is "normal" cause they took another car out and it did the same thing. but honestly, ive never seen anything like this and with no one really having much input it doesnt sound quite "normal"

Uh, what?! Did you ride alone and observe this "normal" condition yourself? If not, just remember this one rule - NEVER trust what a dealer service department says.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
so i attached a link to my video showing what my rpm's do while driving. this happens almost all the time while driving in any gear and remaining at a constant speed or doing cruise control. i have asked people and no one is able to come up with an exact answer because my car runs perfectly fine. there is no stutter or movement of any kind at idle just when driving. car starts up fine, pretty much drives fine except for the movement of the needle. please help!

http://youtu.be/2dBxqtbuDVY

It looked like each time the tach needle jumped, it moved by about 100 rpm? Each jump of 100 rpm in 6th gear would cause your speed to jump 2-3 mph. That would be very noticeable. Could you feel the car change speed? Since your digital speedometer readout remained the same, my guess is that the car’s speed was not jumping around. Also, could you hear the engine change rpm as the needle jiggled? You should easily be able to hear a 100 rpm change in rpm.

Do you know anyone with a Scan Gauge or equivalent? If yes, connect it to your OBDII port and monitor your tach. If the Scan Gauge holds steady while the tach needle jumps, it might confirm a problem with the tach needle.

EMaster24

Ready to race!
I'm gonna toss out a guess:

As the engine speed is not actually stuttering, it is just the needle. These are no longer hard-wired mechanical gauges; everything is digital and run through the CECM.

So my guess is that this is simply digital interference from another nearby signal, mildly annoying, but harmless.

I am in agreement. Sure feels like the needle is getting a jumpy signal

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
yup and they claim it is "normal" cause they took another car out and it did the same thing. but honestly, ive never seen anything like this and with no one really having much input it doesnt sound quite "normal"

Fight them on this. I had a similar situation with wastegate rattle. They took a car off the lot out, heard it on that car also, and said "oh, its normal, they all do that". But when I challenged that logic and took it to another dealer, that dealer knew the issue and had the TSB fix looked up even before I brought the car in to them.

Short summary: 2 wrongs are nothing more than both wrong.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
My rpm and speedo needle both do this. I thought maybe it was just a turbo car thing (this is my first turbo car)....

torga

Autocross Champion
Bringing back from the dead, but hey, now I don't have to start a new thread.

Does anyone else see this on a daily basis? My car has done it since I've owned it (~6 months). Other than the RPM/tach needles getting seemingly jumpy signals, there are no adverse effects. The needle bounce does not correspond to any lurching or abnormal revs from the engine whatsoever - it drives very smoothly.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has a fix, or if this is just a minor annoyance/quirk I'll have to live with.

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
its obviously your car enjoying the music and jamming out with you :)

I hope thats not carbon build up...yikes. Not sure, ignore it until it throws a light i guess. My car iirc did that when my motor had carbon build up on startup. My 2001 does that at idle /shrug