GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
VW says their factory-fill MT fluid is lifetime. In my mind, lifetime = warranty + 1 day. The Haynes manual says 60K for a change. I figure every 50K is a good round measure, maybe a little early, but what the heck? I want/need this car to last 250K miles like my last VW.

The old fluid was brown, still fairly clear, probably good for another 30K miles, but Redline MTL has been so good in my previous vehicles, I wanted to get it in there now. I had a syncro go up at 105K miles on my '99 TDI Beetle with factory MT fluid, and after that $800 repair, I had the car for another 150,000 miles using MTL with no subsequent transmission repairs. I am hoping early, regular changes with MTL will avoid any and all transmission repair in this GTI.

Redline MTL is a 70W80 GL4 oil and the web site says it satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 70W, 75W, 80W, and motor oil viscosities of SAE 30, 10W30, and 5W30.

In comparison to OEM MT Fluid, the viscosity index is as follows:

at 40*C, OEM is 31 cSt and MTL is 56.2
at 100*C, OEM is 6.2 cSt and MTL is 10.6

So it's a little more viscous than OEM, but not enough to be detrimental to shifting in Maryland temperatures. I can definitely tell the difference that it makes. Smooth as silk. Click in, click out.

In comparison to OEM MT Fluid, the viscosity index is as follows:

at 40*C, OEM is 31 cSt and MTL is 56.2
at 100*C, OEM is 6.2 cSt and MTL is 10.6

at 40*C, OEM is 31 cSt and MTL-LV is 29.8
at 100*C, OEM is 6.2 cSt and MTL-LV is 6.5

Is MTL-LV better than oem and MTL, I know.lv is just lower viscosity

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Unless you're tracking the car my recommendation is to use OEM fluid. Many people, including myself, have used redline, motul, and similar fluids with the result being a notchy, difficult to use gearbox. There are plenty of threads on this topic on this forum.

EDIT: Fill/drain plug part number is N10037105. There is not a crush washer.

Last edited:

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
I just put in the oem fluid from FCP Euro, called VW and asked which one by vin. It was the link someone gave of cheapest on here they found. Fcp local pickup, same price and can do it sooner than 50k if want for free since they warranty fluids too, crazy right.

Anyway, tomorrow I am done with the clutch, q month later on days off , with rain days, too hot days etc ;)

Also... Fcpeuro suggest a crush washer for it, I'm returning them, there were no crush washers on it already. Just bought new drain/fill plugs, why not, cheap

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
thanks for the writeup, just did this at 79k. and the pump from amazon linked in here worked great, happy I didn't spend the extra cash on the $39 ECS pump.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know the difference between G052171A2 and G052527A2? Both genuine VW and both are listed as acceptable for my 2010 GTI 6-sp, but there's quite a price difference between the two.
1647031611089.png