GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #57
FlowMK6
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 2.5 6speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSpy View Post
It's looking like this may be 2020 instead, I could have managed the turbo build But the supporting mods (clutch, dif , brakes) really bump up the price. I will still be doing this though! I'll start with IEs intake this year though As I planned to have it with the turbo any how.
A full turbo setup well built is about 7000$CAD and more from what I have seen.

Just to give you an idea.

- 5 Bosch 550cc injector : 325$CAD + tax + shipping approx.
- Bosch 040 fuel pump : 260$CAD + tax + shipping, you might find a Walbro pump cheaper
- PrecisionTurbo 5858 : 1400$CAD journal bearing, 2200$CAD ball bearing + tax + shipping
- Exhaust manidold / turbo manifold : 800$CAD+
- Precision 46mm Vband Wastegate : 500$CAD
- Diverter Valve (I would not get a BOV except if you are maf-less), a Tial QR is about 350$CAD
- An intercooler, VibrantPerformance sold them near 400$ CAD
- Custom downpipe works approx 300$ depending of the job
- An IE intake manifold, you could keep the stock one, but I don't think the plastic one would support the boosty very well plus you wouldn't get the best performance from your turbo setup without the intake manifold : 1100$CAD
- An UnitedMotorsport Fuel Injector tune, near 750$CAD, maybe less
- Oil lines, fittings, piping for the intake : price may vary...

Pretty much what you need for basic setup, then you will have to upgrade your clutch, otherwise it will slip and slip... Performance clutch kit is near 1200$CAD

If you don't install it by yourself, you will have to pay for labor time, just the clutch is near 5-6 hours. You will always have to use 91 octane gas. You might have to change some other stuff like fuel filter. I would also get an AFR gauge and a boost gauge, near 250-300$CAD, a wideband will cost more...

Keep in mind the 5speed differential can be weak... And you might need to replace it in an unexpected moment ^^

It's not cheap but if you have the money and want to keep your car for a long time without caring of the resale value, then go for it, it's a nice project and you will have a reliable turbo car with decent power If you are planning to put an Haldex AWD, it's near 4000$ CAD using R32 parts.
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #58
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMK6 View Post

- Bosch 040 fuel pump : 260$CAD + tax + shipping, you might find a Walbro pump cheaper
- PrecisionTurbo 5858 : 1400$CAD journal bearing, 2200$CAD ball bearing + tax + shipping
- Diverter Valve (I would not get a BOV except if you are maf-less), a Tial QR is about 350$CAD
- An IE intake manifold, you could keep the stock one, but I don't think the plastic one would support the boosty very well plus you wouldn't get the best performance from your turbo setup without the intake manifold : 1100$CAD

Pretty much what you need for basic setup, then you will have to upgrade your clutch, otherwise it will slip and slip... Performance clutch kit is near 1200$CAD

If you don't install it by yourself, you will have to pay for labor time, just the clutch is near 5-6 hours. You will always have to use 91 octane gas. You might have to change some other stuff like fuel filter. I would also get an AFR gauge and a boost gauge, near 250-300$CAD, a wideband will cost more...

Keep in mind the 5speed differential can be weak... And you might need to replace it in an unexpected moment ^^

It's not cheap but if you have the money and want to keep your car for a long time without caring of the resale value, then go for it, it's a nice project and you will have a reliable turbo car with decent power If you are planning to put an Haldex AWD, it's near 4000$ CAD using R32 parts.
Not to be a Troll but this is why I don't even consider adding a turbo.... it's a slippery slope my friend.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #59
OrangeSpy
Oval Newbie

Drives: '12 VW Golf 2.5L 5D
Quote:

I plan on driving thus car into the ground haha If In have the money I'll go for it. I'm getting IEs manifold this year, we'll see how it goes from there.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #60
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
I plan on driving thus car into the ground haha If In have the money I'll go for it. I'm getting IEs manifold this year, we'll see how it goes from there.
Sorry you sound a bit let down! Backyard guys, do great sh!t all the time, I think you can still turbo your 2.5 for alot less than $7K and enjoy it.

I think the IE manifold is a BIG waist on a limited budget as it represent almost $2K spending in Canadian dollars, ... look at it this way you could buy a turbo manifold and Turbo Charger for that much and use the original plastic intake manifold. You'd be along way to achieving your goals. If you go another step further and buy a budget water/meth kit, you'll be ready to get UM to custom tune your ECU.

Take your time, make reasonable goals and budget. Where people go wrong and discouraged is trying to go BIG or for the Ideal/Best and over think and NEVER get going,...go for what can be achieved within a budget.

Like I said in past threads there is a kid that turboed his Rabbit. He did it with a turbo that people here laugh at no less, but he has done it and they have done zip.

You can also stick to your original plan and weld up your turbo manifold OR buy the turbo manifold made in Brazil and get a K03 to start; yes not near Ideal but get started, remember you can upgrade later. I'm sure someone has one from a K04 upgrade that they will sell cheap (couple o hundred $).

Just throwing a few suggestions out there ... .

Last edited by MLue1; 04-13-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #61
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

I tell my kids, "if you're willing to work and be creative you can accomplish alot". There is more than one way to skin a cat !

Maybe some inspiration from this video ... .
https://youtu.be/oFLqaSNp45Q

and this one.
https://youtu.be/casinJuaIPg

And this one.
https://youtu.be/Od7wrbJkke4

I'll stop there.

Last edited by MLue1; 04-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #62
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I think the IE manifold is a BIG waist on a limited budget
This is 100% correct. I think MLue said something to the effect in another post as well that the IE IM is wasted on a daily driver and I think that is kind of true as well. I was pretty happy with stage 1 on the stock manifold and for the money I am not sure it is worth the upgrade. It definitely has more power but you can feel the loss of low end torque and given your wish to go to turboland I would imagine this may not be in your best interest.

I checked out the Audi S6 4.0T today for kicks. Maybe I can shoehorn that badboy in the grey golf. 450hp. Too bad it's like $100k.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 04-15-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Wascally Wabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #63
FlowMK6
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
This is 100% correct. I think MLue said something to the effect in another post as well that the IE IM is wasted on a daily driver and I think that is kind of true as well. I was pretty happy with stage 1 on the stock manifold and for the money I am not sure it is worth the upgrade. It definitely has more power but you can feel the loss of low end torque and given your wish to go to turboland I would imagine this may not be in your best interest.

I checked out the Audi S6 4.0T today for kicks. Maybe I can shoehorn that badboy in the grey golf. 450hp. Too bad it's like $100k.
MLue is right, no need to get the intake manifold if you are on budget. The stock intake manifold support about 14psi which is enough for a turbo setup. The IE intake manifold give better results on turbo setup, for N/A usage, the C2 Motorsports intake manifold give better results, but it's harder to find

A K03S/K04 is way too small for our engine, it doesn't produce enough CFM for our engine
Old 04-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #64
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
MLue is right, no need to get the intake manifold if you are on budget. The stock intake manifold support about 14psi which is enough for a turbo setup. The IE intake manifold give better results on turbo setup, for N/A usage, the C2 Motorsports intake manifold give better results, but it's harder to find

A K03S/K04 is way too small for our engine, it doesn't produce enough CFM for our engine
Yes and no on that, it depends on goals and the stages of development that you set. I'm suggesting K03 as they are alot cheaper to get started, get a cheap used turbo to start the project. With in reason, K03 can be used for a mild turbo build! on a 2.0T it can produce 260HP in Stage1, so it is capable of producing enough CFM for a mild turbo build on a 2.5, at less initial cost, once it works the guy can upgrade to K04 etc.

If done in stages, chances you are you are more likely to achieve your goals rather than sit on the side wishing. Alot of the first MK5 turbo builds started this way and evolved from that.

AND all used the original plastic intake manifold to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
+1 Fun Fun Fun!

Last edited by MLue1; 04-15-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #65
OrangeSpy
Oval Newbie

Man late reply!

I still plan to do this and like mentioned above I plan to start basic and slowly upgrade.
I'm one of those guys that once I have a plan I see it through to the end no matter how many people say it's a bad idea haha
I like to find out if something won't work rather then be told it won't, I guess.
I've priced some of the parts and plan to slowly buy bits and pieces here and there over the next year.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Last edited by OrangeSpy; 05-05-2018 at 02:03 PM.
OrangeSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #66
OrangeSpy
Oval Newbie

He folks, starting to buy some pieces for this build. Hoping to do a sort of video diary along the way.

Quick question though, I'm looking at Turbos and trying to pick the right one. Due to cost I think I'm going to rebuild one as it seems easy to do and inexpensive.
What do you folks think on a VF52? It's a stock subaru WRX turbo.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #67
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
He folks, starting to buy some pieces for this build. Hoping to do a sort of video diary along the way.

Quick question though, I'm looking at Turbos and trying to pick the right one. Due to cost I think I'm going to rebuild one as it seems easy to do and inexpensive.

I would steer clear of anything a Subaru is using based on my neighbors and coworkers experiences with blowing turbos on their wrx's. I just had a big convo with my coworker and his went at 60k. My neighbor was on number 3 before 100k and neither was heavily modded or anything. Just some food for thought.
Wascally Wabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #68
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:

The Turbo is the heart of the build, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Research previous builds and use what works. in other words don't try to reinvent the wheel, the journey has many pitfalls, keep it reasonable.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #69
FlowMK6
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:

As said above, not so reliable and you would need to change either the flange on your exhaust manifold or make modifications / replace the turbo housing. You should be looking for something more universal like T4. Most people run PrecisionTurbo (5858 and bigger)

Not sure if it might be helpful, but here is some picture for the oil feed and return :

It's a M10x1 bolt that goes here, it should help for choosing the right fitting

And for the return line, you can use a bong and at the same time you could get a new oil pan if the current one is rusted :

The hardest part will be the intercooler piping in my opinion, have fun !
Old 03-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #70
OrangeSpy
Oval Newbie

Thanks! Did you have to drill it yourself?
So far the only thing I found that other have done is put a T fitting on where the sensor is. Something tells me this isn't ideal haha

Tags
2.5, custom, k03, mk6, turbo