GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I need to remove APR before getting COBB AccessPort?

nojorge

I feel like this must have been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer, so please bear with me.

I have a 2011 GTI with the newest APR stage 1 tune applied.

If I wanted to get a COBB AccessPort and then play around with loading tunes onto the vehicle myself, do I need to have the APR tune removed beforehand by a shop? Or will the COBB device overwrite those tunes for me? Also, would I be able to use the COBB device to return the vehicle to stock?

I'm actually enjoying the v2.4 APR stage 1 tune, although I actually ended up dropping down from the 93 octane mapping to the 91 octane mapping for day-to-day driving. The 93 mapping is very boosty, but can be fun if you're in that kind of mood. :) I'm just curious about the COBB AccessPort because applying tunes myself rather than relying on a shop seems pretty cool.

lleron

Ready to race!
I feel like this must have been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer, so please bear with me.

I have a 2011 GTI with the newest APR stage 1 tune applied.

If I wanted to get a COBB AccessPort and then play around with loading tunes onto the vehicle myself, do I need to have the APR tune removed beforehand by a shop? Or will the COBB device overwrite those tunes for me? Also, would I be able to use the COBB device to return the vehicle to stock?

I'm actually enjoying the v2.4 APR stage 1 tune, although I actually ended up dropping down from the 93 octane mapping to the 91 octane mapping for day-to-day driving. The 93 mapping is very boosty, but can be fun if you're in that kind of mood. :) I'm just curious about the COBB AccessPort because applying tunes myself rather than relying on a shop seems pretty cool.

I directly overwrote my APR Stage 1 with the COBB tuner with no issues.

nojorge

I directly overwrote my APR Stage 1 with the COBB tuner with no issues.

Interesting. Did you ever try to use the cruise control stalk program switching after overwriting the APR tune, just to see what happens?

Also, is there a "stock" mapping on the AccessPort? I read the AccessPort's manual, and it seems like it grabs an ECU backup when you first install it into a car. I wonder if restoring that backup would restore the APR tune and program switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Now that would be interesting

lleron

Ready to race!
That's a good question. I've never taken the Cobb tuner off before, although have to for emissions in a few months. If no one has an answer before then I'll update the thread.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Bump - If I have revo software and I switch to cobb (stratified), what will my car revert to when the accessport is removed?

Laimface

Ready to race!
Bump - If I have revo software and I switch to cobb (stratified), what will my car revert to when the accessport is removed?

When the access port is removed, it puts a bone stock flash onto the car. It doesn't read your ECU when you first pair it.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
When the access port is removed, it puts a bone stock flash onto the car. It doesn't read your ECU when you first pair it.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear but ill be honest Im a little skeptikal. Who puts the stock tune onto the car? I know I have a stock revo file but from what I understand, the VW OEM program was overwritten...

Laimface

Ready to race!
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear but ill be honest Im a little skeptikal. Who puts the stock tune onto the car? I know I have a stock revo file but from what I understand, the VW OEM program was overwritten...

The accessport copies a stock tune to the car when you unpair it from your car. The car will be stock leaving you to sell your accessport to whoever you want

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Laim is right, it uses the last known stock tune.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Alex at stratified confirmed this as well. Thanks for the responses guys.