GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with the MDI cable please!

hasG6

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum, I have recently picked up a 2010 Golf 6 1.6 TDI BLUEMOTION SE, basically when I insert my iPhone cable into the USB end MDI it didn't use to recognise the device on the media screen, I then found an update online in which I updated the media system via Flash drive/ USB and now it charges the phone unlike before, but it still doesn't read the phone and comes up with something like 'device without compatibility' so anything I try play on the phone, nothing happens... When I connect through Bluetooth/ Aux it works fine... Did I download the wrong update? Please help, thanks in advance.

P.s. It's an IPHone 4s I'm using.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
The actual MDI plug for your phone might work better. I just got my 2013 GTI and I got the latest iPhone MDI cable and it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hasG6

A friend of mine had the same car and had, as you said, the actually MDI cable for the iPhone 4s and it worked perfectly with my phone, but I don't want to go out and purchase the exact plug as I change my phone quite frequently so that's why I was happy with the MDI with open female end USB, in which I thought I could just plug in any phone cable and it would recognise it and be able to play the music.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
At least it charges it. You could just enable it with Bluetooth. Sounds more clear that way

hasG6

Yes true but it would be nice not having to wait in the morning for it to connect via BT that's all, thanks for the reply mate.

hasG6

Yes it does sometimes, usually when you turn your Bluetooth on from your phone it should automatically connect to the cars media system, however I have to always physically click on the VW PHONE BT option on my phone then wait a while for the car to recognise it's being connected, the car will search for a while then eventually connect, takes maybe 30 seconds give or take.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Oh wow. Luckily I don't have that problem but sometimes it does act up and says it's connected but it doesn't play while it's been playing and let's say I get a phone call or something. Usually when I get phone calls but rare

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
That made no sense lol. So while its playing and I receive a phone call it'll stop playing obviously but after I end the phone call sometimes it'll remain "connected" but will act up and not play so I'll then have to disconnect it and just reconnect it

hasG6

I have that exact same problem as well! Forgot to mention it, maybe it's just a common issue with the unit...

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I have that exact same problem as well! Forgot to mention it, maybe it's just a common issue with the unit...

Yes possibly common issue. Doesn't happen to often but when it does it can cause a headache. Nothing an aftermarket head unit can't fix :)