GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
edwardnese
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
How to test for bad PCV?

Hey guys i did some research and there seems to be multiple ways to test a bad PCV but i am still confused as to what signs to look for. So far i tested by:
  1. Start engine leave it idling, remove engine oil cap, engine starts sputtering and vibrating pretty hard.

Does this mean that my PCV is still good?
edwardnese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #2
Wascally Wabbit
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Yes I think that is normal. I believe if there is no change it is bad. I just replaced mine so I know it is good and my car does the same as yours when I remove the oil cap.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 03-07-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
If higher mileage, just change it out for a new one since it is a maintenance item.
It's a simple swap and a pretty cheap part
Old 03-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
If higher mileage, just change it out for a new one since it is a maintenance item.
It's a simple swap and a pretty cheap part
Hehe I thought u were trolling by telling them to change oil cap but I'm drinking and it just dawned on me ur talking about pcv

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardnese View Post
Hey guys i did some research and there seems to be multiple ways to test a bad PCV but i am still confused as to what signs to look for. So far i tested by:
  1. Start engine leave it idling, remove engine oil cap, engine starts sputtering and vibrating pretty hard.

Does this mean that my PCV is still good?

That DOES generally mean the PCV is good, however they can fail in several different ways and most do not directly produce any fault codes, but yours is probably good unless youíre getting other symptoms,

Take a look at this,
https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
edwardnese
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
That DOES generally mean the PCV is good, however they can fail in several different ways and most do not directly produce any fault codes, but yours is probably good unless youíre getting other symptoms,

Take a look at this,
https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Thanks for that link, i am only suspecting PVC failure because i have a slow oil leak that happened recently about the size of 2 quarters that drips only after i have driven the car. Read online that a bad pcv can cause pressure buildup which would then blow our the rear main seal, but i havent gotten any CELs or fault codes.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Thanks for that link, i am only suspecting PVC failure because i have a slow oil leak that happened recently about the size of 2 quarters that drips only after i have driven the car. Read online that a bad pcv can cause pressure buildup which would then blow our the rear main seal, but i havent gotten any CELs or fault codes.

I had a failed PCV last year that also took out the rear main! The only symptom was oil dripping from the join between the transmission and engine which started as a few drips but quickly got much worse, I had no CELís or fault codes, the PCV rarely logs any faults (directly) if at all, I also had to change the clutch as oil had got onto it as I left it a bit too long! I also changed the flywheel as it had to come off to do the seal so it wasnít a cheap repair for me, if it is your rear main be sure to use the latest revision and fit it correctly (not like the old revision) or it will leak again straight away!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
i replaced mine at 55k for peace of mind
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #9
edwardnese
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I had a failed PCV last year that also took out the rear main! The only symptom was oil dripping from the join between the transmission and engine which started as a few drips but quickly got much worse, I had no CELís or fault codes, the PCV rarely logs any faults (directly) if at all, I also had to change the clutch as oil had got onto it as I left it a bit too long! I also changed the flywheel as it had to come off to do the seal so it wasnít a cheap repair for me, if it is your rear main be sure to use the latest revision and fit it correctly (not like the old revision) or it will leak again straight away!

How much was the cost for your jobs? and how long would u say u had the dripping oil issue for? so far its been half a week for me.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #10
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
How much was the cost for your jobs? and how long would u say u had the dripping oil issue for? so far its been half a week for me.
at a shop rear main seal alone will prob be around 1500. All labor due to removing transmission, bit more difficult if youre DSG.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
edwardnese
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
at a shop rear main seal alone will prob be around 1500. All labor due to removing transmission, bit more difficult if youre DSG.
jesus thats quite a bit my car on kbb is only worth 6-7.5k and i already threw in 1800 in repairs this year for intake cleaning, and timing chain tensioner update.

In a dilemma now
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

How to test for bad PCV?

Quote:
jesus thats quite a bit my car on kbb is only worth 6-7.5k and i already threw in 1800 in repairs this year for intake cleaning, and timing chain tensioner update.

In a dilemma now

£1189.08 GBP for me, (around $1650 US)

the clutch and flywheel were at cost price as the shop owed me a favour and the PCV was free due to the previous one only lasting a few months causing the rear main problem!