GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overfilled on Oil Change

erichorn10

Hi! So I did an oil change yesterday and overfilled by a bit. Half a litre at absolute most. In total I put 5.5L in, but it reads in the Max range on the dipstick. Should I be worried? Should I drain some? If I need to drain some, can I just drain the filter or will oil pour all over the place. I've never drained the filter with a full pan. Any help is appreciated.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I wouldn't worry about being .5 of quart over filled. That is just me, I'm sure there are others who will tell you to drain it out.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Is the oil filter on top or bottom of the engine? On the 2.0T its on top and the filters have a check valve so no worries....not sure about the 2.5....

FWIW I don't think an extra 0.5 liter will be a problem either. But any more than that I would err on the side of caution.....

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
You basically overfilled it by half a quart. I've overfilled an engine by half a quart in the past and nothing happened... thought once I found out about it I didn't like it. I'd monitor the oil and make sure that it's not whipped and foamy. You can get a cheap transfer pump (under $10) and pump it out from the oil dip stick tube. Obviously, I'd catch it back into a fresh oil can and reuse it later.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
It probably won't do any damage but you know they put a dip stick for a reason and over filled engine can slow you down a the oil become the restriction. Just drain a bit using the valve on filter, that's the recommended way.

DKhubs

Passed Driver's Ed
I imagine it might mess with the pcv valve on you valve cover, causing you to dump oil into your return. Gunking up your intake manifold and your MAP sensor throwing a premature P0106 and you might get oil on your coil packs.

I'm not an expert, so I may be wrong, I'm just taking a wild guess... /2cents

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I'd say as long as the oil isn't so overfilled that the crank counterweights are hitting the oil you'll be fine. If the crank is hitting the oil causing cavitation the oil level will need to be lowered. Is the oil foamy on the dipstick? If so lower the oil, if not don't worry.

dmg

I just did this last Saturday. I changed my own oil but put in 6 bottles and was in the max driving it for a week. Thinking that's perfectly fine and not reading the manual like I should have. I realized my mistake, called/went looking for a 1/8th vinyl tube to put down the dipstick and nobody had that size. I called dealer who said they could drain, but what I didn't know was they drain a little, not all of it like I thought.

Long story short - go by the book and drain it yourself. It's super easy to, no disassembly . Just loosen the plug and it doesn't come out until the screw is about to come off, and it's easy to regulate the flow. Now it reads in the middle like it should.

erichorn10

Thanks a lot for all of the replies folks. No, the oil is not foamy on the dipstick and I have noticed zero change in driveability. If anything, I have better throttle response now. I may just drain some out just to ease my paranoid mind. So with that said....drain from the filter using the release plug, or buy a transfer pump? Sorry, I'm new at all of this.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Just drain the oil from the oil filter plug. Drain most the canister out and start the car. The canister will refill with oil and make the oil level a little lower. No point in taking out a ton of oil and having to refill.

But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. It doesn't sound like you crazy over filled. If it really bugs you, like I said drain a little from the oil filter canister.