GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keyless entry help required.

BryGuy

Hope to get some assistance. My dad allowed me to use his 2013 GTI while he's overseas and I'm trying to figure out a keyless entry issue he has on driver door. When he first got the car a couple of years ago, the keyless entry via the touchpad on the door was working. Within the last few months it has stopped working, and I've noticed some strange behavior when using the remote control. Occasionally when locking the doors using the remote control the trunk opens. Occasionally when you try and lock the door, the lights flash but the doors do not lock and there is no horn. I've also noticed occasionally that the light on the remote control flashes rapidly non-stop for a period of a minute or so and then sometimes turns off, and while it is flashing the car does not recognize the key at all. Sometimes, it will lock and unlock normally, sounding the horn on lock. I've changed the battery. I did a quick search and found a thread where there was a connector in the trunk behind the rear seat, and I checked that and it is intact. Is there anything else that I could check or is this an issue where the dealership has to reprogram a module of sorts? When using the key in the door when you lock and unlock everything seems to function as it should, the car arms, all the windows and the sunroof closed on lock. On unlock the car on locks and if you hold the key in the unlocked position the windows come down. The passenger door is ok for touch lock/unlock. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BryGuy

I'm going to assume it's the handle.

Also, does anyone know how to remove the door handle? I found the 2 torx screws. The long one,closer to inside of car comes out and before it is fully removed, it can be pushed in and pulled out as part of some air of latching mechanism. The one closer to outside of the door will unscrew but stops eventually and I assume this is to prevent it from falling into the door. With the one removed and one partially unscrewed, the lock still doesnt move. I've tried to unscrew with handle pulled out as well.

DaBigKahuna

Occasionally when you try and lock the door, the lights flash but the doors do not lock and there is no horn.

The flash with no horn usually indicates that a door or the trunk are not latched all the way. You can confirm this on the VIS on the dash. It will show a silhouette of the car with the offending latch highlighted.

BryGuy

The flash with no horn usually indicates that a door or the trunk are not latched all the way. You can confirm this on the VIS on the dash. It will show a silhouette of the car with the offending latch highlighted.
Thx. Ya for some reason, the trunk opens occasionally upon unlock with the remote. Not sure why. Just trying to figure out how to remove handle now. Are there any diag steps available using a meter to determine if driver door switch is defective?