GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
I don't think of any Audi/VW as cars that handle, and I've never been impressed with the S4. You need to merge those two vehicle choices you have into one great car, because 40K is used E90/E92 M3 money, and it will resale better than an S4 as well as destroy one on a racetrack.
Some truth to this for sure... I have been looking at those cars lately (E9X M)... but the S4 gets better mpg, has an actual usable back seat and a better interior.

The m3 on the other hand sounds better and would prob handle better, resale is stronger as well given that previous gen S models are pretty much worthless.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
A new S4 starts at 47, so paying 40-45k for a CPO is not a good value. 35-40k maybe, but those tend to have highish miles, and are 3+ model years old.
but no one would want an option-less new S4 for $47k, not to mention zero dealers would have any.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #59
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
S4 meets that bill. Great DD, has utility, has AWD, has the POWAH. YOU BUY. NOW.
this is towards Fall 2013 or so. The wifes choice should come first, hers is a 2009 with 39k miles. My GTI has about 22k miles. But, when she gets her new car and new car payment.. it may just push me out of the changing car picture for longer than i expect. At least the Xterra is paid off and we have $16k-$17k in private sale value. That will be her down. Only problem is, she's looking at $40k cars too.. Ford Explorer.. Honda Pilot.. boring stuff to me. I'm going on my 4 mile run now, so i can daydream about cars the entire time.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #60
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
The pre 2013s just look dated now... The new headlights are great, the interior was quite ramped up as well. Better steering wheel/shifter, navi screen with google maps etc.

A new S4 starts at 47, so paying 40-45k for a CPO is not a good value. 35-40k maybe, but those tend to have highish miles, and are 3+ model years old.
true on the outdated, but they didn't look that great to begin with, lol.. i will admit it. Not much distinction from the A4, but thats been the status quo for a while.

No, I wouldn't pay anymore than probably $42K for a used one and we are seeing $40K cpo'd ones out here now - grrrrrr...

Quote:
I don't think of any Audi/VW as cars that handle (outside of the R8), and I've never been impressed with the S4. You need to merge those two vehicle choices you have into one great car, because 40K is used E90/E92 M3 money, and it will resale better than an S4 as well as destroy one on a racetrack.
agreed for the most part.

did you miss my video I posted? lol

Yes, for tracking M3 is the winner. But how often are you tracking?

Interior - S4

AWD - S4

Sexy Front end / newer styling - S4

MPG - S4 by a long shot. M3 gets 14mpg, if you're lucky.

other things to consider.

The last few years my car buying is based on a new thing... its called "360/5".

I buy a car based on what I will do for the 360 days a year its NOT on a track, but also taking into consideration the handful of days in the summer I will be tracking it. Unless a dedicated track car, no sense in DD'ing one/buying one that will compromise the 360 in favor of 5.

Quote:
Some truth to this for sure... I have been looking at those cars lately (E9X M)... but the S4 gets better mpg, has an actual usable back seat and a better interior.

The m3 on the other hand sounds better and would prob handle better, resale is stronger as well given that previous gen S models are pretty much worthless.

agreed again^. much better interior, big time.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #61
troyguitar
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2004 Z06, 2005 Vibe GT
I can't imagine spending $40k on a Pilot or Explorer.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #62
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkulhanc134 View Post
i like the s4 but the maintainance is like no tomorrow from what i heard, id personally get the x1 if only they offer manual in the us market. i got in the x1 once and i like the way it is on the inside, its like more modern gti with increased ride height
like what besides the normal maintenance on any car?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #63
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
this is towards Fall 2013 or so. The wifes choice should come first, hers is a 2009 with 39k miles. My GTI has about 22k miles. But, when she gets her new car and new car payment.. it may just push me out of the changing car picture for longer than i expect. At least the Xterra is paid off and we have $16k-$17k in private sale value. That will be her down. Only problem is, she's looking at $40k cars too.. Ford Explorer.. Honda Pilot.. boring stuff to me. I'm going on my 4 mile run now, so i can daydream about cars the entire time.
that would be TOTALLY stupid.. if she really wants one of those, buy a 2year old loaded and certified one and save $15K+... don't get ass-raped...

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #64
Noize
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Quote:

An E90 M3 is one car I could leave stock, sans extreme performance summer tires and good brake pads and lines. It's a four door, and backseat room is ample unless your kids are sumo wrestlers.

Interior is subjective, but handling the M3 is worlds apart, truly. And that engine... Yum... Rev baby, rev!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #65
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Quote:
An E90 M3 is one car I could leave stock, sans extreme performance summer tires and good brake pads and lines. It's a four door, and backseat room is ample unless your kids are sumo wrestlers.

Interior is subjective, but handling the M3 is worlds apart, truly. And that engine... Yum... Rev baby, rev!!!
Just about anyone would say the interior in the Audi is better than the M3... I mean, sitting in one the other day, for a car that costs $75K, its pretty pathetic.

The brakes on the M3 really aren't that great on the track, btw.

The engine and steering is total sex, I agree.

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #66
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Hey, if you get "stuck" with the K04 GTI, you could always start buying different suspension setups like you did with downpipes and make videos. I would be very curious to see whats best for daily driver
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #67
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:

Something about the M interior with the DCT is off, the area around the shifter is nothing but dull gray plastic.

Aside from that the interior is fine but Audi has a better design for the center stack for sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #68
Noize
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 Evo X
[quote=GunKata;1018125]

Quote:
AWD - S4
I clipped a lot of text because there were a couple main things I wanted to focus on. While AWD absolutely, positively demolishes FWD, I think RWD is real performance car bliss, and is the most winning drivetrain layout for a reason: Weight distribution and balance.

Quote:
Yes, for tracking M3 is the winner. But how often are you tracking?
I buy a car based on what I will do for the 360 days a year its NOT on a track, but also taking into consideration the handful of days in the summer I will be tracking it. Unless a dedicated track car, no sense in DD'ing one/buying one that will compromise the 360 in favor of 5.

The 360-5 theory is why I have a GTI today, and while it looked great on paper, it doesn't hold water at all in practical life (for me). The GTI is a nice commuter when going straight, but the driving dynamics are dismal. I certainly don't race my car everyday, but I like to have fun on twisty roads, which are something I encounter a lot where I live. In that scenario, the M3 would be a blast for unwinding after a long day at the office, where a modern S4 is an understeer monster.

I'm not saying AWD cars don't handle well, because there are some out that do. But they don't have a VW or Audi badge on the front.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #69
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

[quote=Noize;1018182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post

I clipped a lot of text because there were a couple main things I wanted to focus on. While AWD absolutely, positively demolishes FWD, I think RWD is real performance car bliss, and is the most winning drivetrain layout for a reason: Weight distribution and balance.

The 360-5 theory is why I have a GTI today, and while it looked great on paper, it doesn't hold water at all in practical life (for me). The GTI is a nice commuter when going straight, but the driving dynamics are dismal. I certainly don't race my car everyday, but I like to have fun on twisty roads, which are something I encounter a lot where I live. In that scenario, the M3 would be a blast for unwinding after a long day at the office, where a modern S4 is an understeer monster.

I'm not saying AWD cars don't handle well, because there are some out that do. But they don't have a VW or Audi badge on the front.
Right, and we agree actually. but from my perspective...

On a perfect day in a perfect life, M3 would be the clear choice. If I was going to track days 20x a year and what not, and only had a 5mi commute, and didn't care about the 14mpg or less, or the interior looking the same as the 2006 328i, then yes, the M3 is the choice for me. And yes, I agree on the RWD, I've had a 400hp Corvette, so I know all about those orgasms...

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #70
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Quote:
Something about the M interior with the DCT is off, the area around the shifter is nothing but dull gray plastic.

For $75,000 dollars... that's the interior and center "stack", that you get....

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Closed Thread

Tags
2013r is plac is mark, anothergticomeon, coldairmattressintake, deep dsg thoughts, dubpl8 anus workout, gti/bee/gti/bee/gti, gti/bee/gti/bee/gti/wrx, king of the gti, lastnutjobsgarage, lol @ plac, lolmcqueenmad, mustsucktobepoor, plac for president, plac is a nice guy, plac is black, plac is pottytrained, plac's heroes, plac's poop diaries, placenta, placsmokesdoja, tall therapy bills, the modfather, train wreck, troycantplayguitar, troyrailsdudesinthebutt