GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dynaudio woofer blown (passenger door)

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Sounds like one of my Dynaudio woofers is blown. The woofer in my passenger side front door makes a rattling and scratching sound; sounds like a rubbing voice coil. Pretty sad seeing that these are supposed to be quality components and seeing that I'm in an age group where I don't listen to loud or bass heavy music so nothing should have strained that woofer.
Unfortunately I'm already out of my 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty so it looks like I'll have to take on a woofer replacement.
Anyone ever have a Dynaudio woofer blow in their MK6, any tips, trick etc?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Replace it with an aftermarket component set. Don't even bother with warranty because those speakers weren't that great to begin with.

I disagree... these Dynaudios may not be better than the upper end Dynaudios/ Focals available in the aftermarket, but the whole system is leagues ahead of the 2012 base system, and in 2012-2014, was the most clear, accurate non-surround system available in any car at the $30k price point.
The system/ speakers took months to break in and the tone controls need to be set at the most unorthodox values. Once broken in, with set tonal values, quality audio sources were reproduced in a glorious manner.

Anyhow... yes, it's best to call up VW of America and ask them to help pay for this. I've gotten them to pay for a couple of things after warranty.

It's not as simple as a straight swap btw... I'd replace in pairs. You'll have to rivet the new speaker in place... good luck.. yea, call VW of Am

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I disagree... these Dynaudios may not be better than the upper end Dynaudios/ Focals available in the aftermarket, but the whole system is leagues ahead of the 2012 base system, and in 2012-2014, was the most clear, accurate non-surround system available in any car at the $30k price point.
The system/ speakers took months to break in and the tone controls need to be set at the most unorthodox values. Once broken in, with set tonal values, quality audio sources were reproduced in a glorious manner.

Anyhow... yes, it's best to call up VW of America and ask them to help pay for this. I've gotten them to pay for a couple of things after warranty.

It's not as simple as a straight swap btw... I'd replace in pairs. You'll have to rivet the new speaker in place... good luck.. yea, call VW of Am

Dynaudio setup is nothing better than the base 8-speaker setup. Yes, it has the better headunit with navigation and external amplifier. Other than that, nothing to brag about. Not sure where you're getting your information from. Have you actually heard both setups side by side? I highly doubt it.

What's the point of trying to get a "free replacement speaker" from VW when OP is already out of warranty. Man up and pay for an aftermarket set. Don't make it harder than it is. :rolleyes:

Dynaudio setup is nothing better than the base 8-speaker setup. Yes, it has the better headunit with navigation and external amplifier. Other than that, nothing to brag about. Not sure where you're getting your information from. Have you actually heard both setups side by side? I highly doubt it.

What's the point of trying to get a "free replacement speaker" from VW when OP is already out of warranty. Man up and pay for an aftermarket set. Don't make it harder than it is. :rolleyes:

based upon your imbecile response, I'll keep this short:

You're obviously jealous, deaf (tone deaf, too)and devoid of any rationale or reason. I have heard both and I own an ATB GTI with the fantastic Dynaudio. Read the previous post, Trump.

So you think you drive a Versa?... I believe that. ya Loser..

And ya... OP, keep your $$$ in your pocket and call up VW of A.. Don't listen to the VW Versa clown. As I said, VW of A has paid for two window issues... and yes.. I was a year outta warranty...

END

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
#popcornready for the throw down

brobst

Go Kart Champion

You're obviously jealous, deaf (tone deaf, too)and devoid of any rationale or reason. I have heard both and I own an ATB GTI with the fantastic Dynaudio. Read the previous post, Trump.

And ya... OP, keep your $$$ in your pocket and call up VW of A.. Don't listen to the VW Versa clown. As I said, VW of A has paid for two window issues... and yes.. I was a year outta warranty...

END
What was window issue, just curious?
You can pm me

Sent from phone Tapa

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

END

haha. I'm the clown, yet I do all the work myself on my cars. Check out Youtube on how to do oil changes. It may be helpful for you. :bellyroll:

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Calm down everyone. :)

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've gone ahead and contacted VWoA and they told me to bring it into the dealer and that they will get back to me on how they want to handle it. I'll be fine buying the part if they want to cover labor.

I really enjoy the Dynaudio system, it's one of the better ones I've heard on a $30k car. On the other hand I don't think a woofer that really hasn't been played to the max should blow that easily.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Little update, VW decided to cover the speaker plus labor. I guess having owned 5 VW products over a 9 year span helps.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Noob question here, but when you contact VWoA, where do you actually contact?

When you call it gives you a multitude of options. One of them is "Customer Relation and Inquiries" or something along those lines. That's the option I picked and just explained the issue to a rep. They then set up an appointment with my local VW dealer and the dealer and VWoA worked together from that point on.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Little update, VW decided to cover the speaker plus labor. I guess having owned 5 VW products over a 9 year span helps.

I have some doubts that they just being nice to you. I had 2 Dynaudio speakers blown just like yours, same symptoms and both luckily were replaced under b2b warranty. After dealer replaced 2nd speaker they told that I won't have any problems. I am starting suspecting that they had a problematic batch of speakers going into production and quietly replacing faulty ones for free instead of doing extended warranty publicly. It won't be first time car manufacturers did this.

By the way Dynaudio system sounds much better than standard system. My nephew had basic audio, so I had a chance to compare to Dynaudio on many long car rides. But he did upgraded his to high-end Focal set-up for about $2K, and now my Dynaudio sounds like crap :cry: when compared to his new set up.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I have some doubts that they just being nice to you. I had 2 Dynaudio speakers blown just like yours, same symptoms and both luckily were replaced under b2b warranty. After dealer replaced 2nd speaker they told that I won't have any problems. I am starting suspecting that they had a problematic batch of speakers going into production and quietly replacing faulty ones for free instead of doing extended warranty publicly. It won't be first time car manufacturers did this.

By the way Dynaudio system sounds much better than standard system. My nephew had basic audio, so I had a chance to compare to Dynaudio on many long car rides. But he did upgraded his to high-end Focal set-up for about $2K, and now my Dynaudio sounds like crap :cry: when compared to his new set up.

Uh oh, sounds like I might have my driver side one go out then. :yikes:

KaJ

Ready to race!
I had my left Dynaudio woofer rattling/making terrible noises and it ended up just being the door panel.

Dynaudio speakers sound decent stock. The problem is that the head unit powers the front and the amp under the seat power the rear speakers, both of which are under powered. To really get the best out of the speakers you need to throw more power at them.

I think people are crazy for swapping out the Dynaudio speakers in these cars. For the same price as replacing all the speakers with "better" ones, you could just add a good amp and processor (for timing correction and EQ) and they sound amazing.