GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

master water/meth discussion thread

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Well if your tune is dialed in at 93 without w/m at 60F ambient temp it will certainly help you on hot days when the ECU starts pulling timing because of knock. Also at the track even on cool days it will help because of the extreme heat.

Spraying post IC is not really going to put your TB in danger. Just place as close to the IC as possible to (farther from TB) so the mix has time to evap. And of course the TB plate allows you to spray after the TB. If necessary use multiple nozzles rather than one large nozzle post IC.

I run a race file and I have run out at the track (actually contaminated mix plugged up both nozzles completely). It is not as treacherous as folks make it out to be. Our ECUs are quite effective in making adjustments including large ones to timing if something like this happens. My MKV ECU can pull 12 degrees of timing that is a lot by design, your MK6 ECU can pull just as much. I didn't realize the w/m was not working until I went to fill it for the next session only to find out I had not used any. Normally I use a gallon during a session.

A couple tips on install of that Snow system.
1. it uses nylon tubing push to connect fixtures. Push to connects can be leaky especially when they come into the push connect from a curve as opposed to coming straight in. To avoid curves in the tubing buy the 90 degree push to connect fittings to allow you to change direction with the tubing without bending or curving.
2. Add the supplied solenoid between the reservoir and the pump.
3. The kit comes with an LED you can mount in dash, use it, just make sure the location is easy to see while you are driving at full throttle. I put mine a little to low and it made it difficult to use.
4. Add a dash mounted ON/OFF switch for the system so you can just shut the system off. This would be especially helpful if you are going to use a tune that does not "require" w/m as you have described. Just turn it on when you are at track or on hot days. It will help you save mix by not spraying when you don't need it.

gotcha, i guess i've just been reading too many horror stories. and i have a mk5 too so should be similar there. thanks again for the info, i'll keep looking into it to see how exactly i'd want it set up. basically i want my tune like you said, dialed in for perfect conditions and the meth just keeps the tune more stable. i think that's a fair expectation without putting it at risk of damaging anything.

Gino

Ready to race!
I am thinking about getting the Aquamist 10L Baffled tank. I like how Hyde16 has his set up. Looks spacious. The other options would be the Cooling Mist 2.5 Gallon Tank or USRT 2.25 Gallon Tank. Think any of the three would be a great improvement over the .75 Gallon Tank Snow Performance provides. The goal is to have a new tank installed prior to my corner balance.

Aquamist 10L Tank = $176 Shipped
Cooling Mist 2.5 G Tank = $175 Shipped
USRT 2.25 Gallon = 166 Shipped

All in the same ball park. Like I said I am leaning towards Aquamist. As of right now I currently daily with meth on and average normally 500 miles per .75 gallon tank of meth.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I am thinking about getting the Aquamist 10L Baffled tank. I like how Hyde16 has his set up. Looks spacious. The other options would be the Cooling Mist 2.5 Gallon Tank or USRT 2.25 Gallon Tank. Think any of the three would be a great improvement over the .75 Gallon Tank Snow Performance provides. The goal is to have a new tank installed prior to my corner balance.

Aquamist 10L Tank = $176 Shipped
Cooling Mist 2.5 G Tank = $175 Shipped
USRT 2.25 Gallon = 166 Shipped

All in the same ball park. Like I said I am leaning towards Aquamist. As of right now I currently daily with meth on and average normally 500 miles per .75 gallon tank of meth.

I just added the latest twin 10L baffled tank with internal crossover to vent outside of the car and provide vacuum under pump pressure. Bolted it directly to the fender wall this time and didn't use the provided bracket. By far the best tank. More photos recently posted on IG @becauseryanjacobs

_Dejan_

Passed Driver's Ed
I prepare my car for WMI installation(direct port + post intercooler) and have question about post intercooler jet loaction...
I have spullen TFSI Boost Pipe Kit:

How far from MAP(2.5BAR) I can place jet?
Is better to make hole in silicone hose and put jet in aquamist silicone hose adapter(806-384) or make hole, thread and glue jet adapter(806-357N) into alloy like this(Marked with red):

I will running 4x140cc(806-501C) for DPI and 1x220cc(806-502C) after intercooler.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Spullen_TFSI_Boost_Kit_1.jpg
    Spullen_TFSI_Boost_Kit_1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 544

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I would put the jet as far back as possible, the silicone adapter will get it back further and you won't have to drill and tap your throttle body pipe. For me, I originally went back farther and drilled/tapped an APR intercooler outlet, before the silicone coupler and throttle body pipe.

_Dejan_

Passed Driver's Ed
HYDE16 Thanks again for your help. Im ask this because I don't trust aquamist silicone hose adapter that will not produce any boost leak ... This is reason why Im ask if is better to put it into aluminium pipe... I will also check for option to make hole into intercooler...

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
HYDE16 Thanks again for your help. Im ask this because I don't trust aquamist silicone hose adapter that will not produce any boost leak ... This is reason why Im ask if is better to put it into aluminium pipe... I will also check for option to make hole into intercooler...

Good idea, drill and tap either the aluminum pipe or the intercooler.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

I have run a Snow adapter for silicone hose for last 3 years with no issues. They seal nicely. I would avoid trying to tap your boost pipe, metal is too thin for a proper mount. If it is possible to tig weld a bung on it then it would be a good spot but I wouldn't try and tap that thin wall and expect it to hold up well. (opinion)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Is there any one particular spot on the output of the intercooler to place it? Meaning, top, inside, bottom,etc?

Have a do88 ic in factory location

Thanks

Does not matter at all where on that outlet, I would install it on the underside of the outlet or anywhere so you can remove the bellypan to service the jet

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
I have run a Snow adapter for silicone hose for last 3 years with no issues. They seal nicely. I would avoid trying to tap your boost pipe, metal is too thin for a proper mount. If it is possible to tig weld a bung on it then it would be a good spot but I wouldn't try and tap that thin wall and expect it to hold up well. (opinion)

I agree, even I installed the nozzle in the BSH pipe for 3 years without any problem and it was very efficient too.

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
I did the same as Hyde, drilled and tapped an APR intercooler exit "arm" right before the right angle silicone adapter on the underside so I could change the jet easily. And it's as far away from the throttle body as practical. Just install an NPT plug if you ever do not want to use it anymore.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I did the same as Hyde, drilled and tapped an APR intercooler exit "arm" right before the right angle silicone adapter on the underside so I could change the jet easily. And it's as far away from the throttle body as practical. Just install an NPT plug if you ever do not want to use it anymore.

Aren't you worried about spraying right before that 90 degree bend? Wouldn't that tend to cause the droplets to collect on on the wall due to the sharp change of direction?