GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will you buy another vw after your current?

Uberryan

Banned
I got a decent laundry list...

2DR 2011 GTI 46k miles

-Left and right side door window regulators went (covered
-Cloth headliner dropped (covered just barely under goodwill since I was a few months out of the bumper to bumper)
-Coil packs popped one after the other in the same month (not covered)
-Intake manifold (covered)
-Long block replaced (covered)
-Sunvisor cloth dropped (not covered)
-Door cloth (not covered)
-DSG clutch assembly (to be determined)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
NO.

Two weeks ago, wife got a rental car for long road trip (NC to MN and back) and it turned out to be a '16 Jetta TSI (1.4L). Average MPG was around 41 highway which was quite impressive considering we were coasting around 77mph all the way. Even though it was nice ride, the interior of the car felt so cheap, like a Dodge. Seat was uncomfortable and cruise control was iffy when trying to turn it on.

you won't get another VW because of your experience in VW's americanised economy car?? hm

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
I had a MK6 GTI, and currently own 2 MK7 GTIs, 1 MT 1 DSG. My next car will most likely be an Alltrack, as I intend to do an OEM+ R conversion, with the IS20 swap on the 1.8, and all the associated body changes etc.

If not that, and I'm doing better in life than I can reasonably expect to be, I'll get an Arteon. The Arteon is absolutely stunning. My mom has owned a 2011 CC since 2010 and it has been my family's favorite car ever. Never had a single issue, and we are just smitten by it. Love the stance/design, how it rides on the highway, the stock DSG programming is surprisingly good (doesn't race to 6th gear, delays shifts with increased throttle input, unlike my MK7 GTI). The Arteon is the futuristic replacement for the outgoing CC, and it has the 7-speed DSG and the Golf R engine/turbo. And DCC.

Needless to say, I'm a huge VW fanboy and don't realistically ~ever~ see myself leaving VAG. If I can afford them, I'll get an Audi/Porsche later in life.

italiansanto

Passed Driver's Ed
I am going to say I had a very similar experience with what everyone is telling me about the GTIs...They are great when they are running 100% which is very, very rarely. My family had two VWs (a GTI & Jetta, and an Audi A4) so I knew what I was getting myself into when I purchased my 2011 MK6 GTI. I've modded the hell out of it, have had numerous headaches and problems, but still love the way the car drives. Would I buy another one? Absolutely not. Even if VWOA refunded me a check for the timing chain, tensioner and other damage it caused ($3,200) I still wouldn't blink an eye. They're too expensive to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I've had good luck with mine, so I'd get another one. I like my Mk6 enough that I'd probably look for another clean one if something happened to mine, but I could possibly be talked into Mk7 if I could find a two door with third pedal and performance package.

I don't think I'll get another new GTI unless they start offering them in two doors again.

AM407

Autocross Champion
I've also been lucky with mine. No issues in the seven years I've owned it. In fact, it's been the most trouble-free and reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

I'll probably keep it another 3-5 years, and for sure would consider another VW. I like the MK7 GTI, but not how they've optioned them in Canada. I'd want a base 5-door with PP, but PP is only available on loaded cars. At that point, pricing is pretty close to an R, so might be tempted to go that way.

But the MK8 will be out by then, so who knows. Alltrak is also very tempting, but I'm scared I'll miss the performance of the GTI.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
you won't get another VW because of your experience in VW's americanised economy car?? hm

I've owned my '12 GTI since October of 2011 (purchased it with less than 90 miles). Everything on the car has been replaced/worked on by me except the intake manifold and AC refrigerant lines. Those two parts were replaced by the dealership under warranty. Ever since February, it's only been driven on the weekends, with 116K miles on the clock. Even though it does have more power than my two other cars, I will get rid of it before Thanksgiving. Owning a German car reassures me why I stayed away from them all this time.

First and last Volkswagen/Audi.....YEP.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
I've owned my '12 GTI since October of 2011 (purchased it with less than 90 miles). Everything on the car has been replaced/worked on by me except the intake manifold and AC refrigerant lines. Those two parts were replaced by the dealership under warranty. Ever since February, it's only been driven on the weekends, with 116K miles on the clock. Even though it does have more power than my two other cars, I will get rid of it before Thanksgiving. Owning a German car reassures me why I stayed away from them all this time.

First and last Volkswagen/Audi.....YEP.

I think some have better luck than others. My wife and I have been driving German cars for 20 plus years, three of them being VW. The only issue we had was the tensioner on my mk6 and that I did preventively.

Our BMW is the nicest car I've driven, really don't see going with anything else in the future. If I need a truck, I guess it will have to be domestic, the Germans keep all those to themselves.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I think some have better luck than others. My wife and I have been driving German cars for 20 plus years, three of them being VW. The only issue we had was the tensioner on my mk6 and that I did preventively.

Our BMW is the nicest car I've driven, really don't see going with anything else in the future. If I need a truck, I guess it will have to be domestic, the Germans keep all those to themselves.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

From the looks of it, the MK5's and MK6's 2.0TSI cars have had way too much issues. This was the first car I've own that need a water pump replacement before 60K miles. Poor workmanship and durability on parts. Don't get me started on VW service "writers" either.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
From the looks of it, the MK5's and MK6's 2.0TSI cars have had way too much issues. This was the first car I've own that need a water pump replacement before 60K miles. Poor workmanship and durability on parts. Don't get me started on VW service "writers" either.

The Mk7's are significantly more reliable than the 6's. No inherent manifold, waterpump, tensioner, subframe, or PCV issues (people with 60k+ on their non-MPI equipped Gen 3 TSI's have negligible carbon buildup). They're more efficient, more powerful, and the cars ride smoother and perform better. I totally understand your being jaded, you have every right to be. But VW stepped their game up and remedied just about every single design flaw from the MK6.

I've had two window regulators go out t the 3 to 4 yr mark. The replacements were covered as goodwill.

I've had the subframe bolts replaced and shimmed.

my 2012 has been reliable otherwise. KOW

MK7 VWs are presumed to be reliable... but time will tell.
The MK6 was initially more reliable than the MK5 too...

Next car could be a VW ... a Touareg, but I'm getting a touch needy for something larger

Disanto7389

Passed Driver's Ed
God you guys are scaring me lol. Im at 47k on my 2013 gti. No issues so far except a phamtom cel that came and went on its own, and my subframe clunk which i just got the collared tyrol kit to solve that problem.

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't really had any problems that have been attributed to fault of VW. My ECU died(but that was from a bad bench flash from the Unitronic dealer I went to). Other than that, besides the fog lamp bulb going bad the day after I bought the car, and some wiring gremlins with the center read break light, I haven't had any problems.

Unless I continue on my modding journey(maybe going Ko4 in the near future), If I do buy another VW, I've been eying the MK7 Golf R DSG; I've owned nothing but GTI's(5 of them to be exact) for the past 10 years, I'm looking for something different. If not the R, than I've been looking into maybe transitioning into the American Muscle scene; I've been eying the new Mustang 5.0's and Chevy Cameros.

...maybe a used Audi S4/A6 3.0t, or a TT as well, though I am a little intimidated about potential repair costs of luxury cars like that. We'll see, I've got at least another 3 years before any of that is even remotely feasible. 'Till then I'm just going to enjoy my MK6.