GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Lol. So done with Cobb at this point. Another crack found, this time all the way at the back...and another one right behind the muffler.

zef

Drag Racing Champion

zef

Drag Racing Champion
So a few updates...

My edition 35 bumper arrived from Europe:

I took a trip to Atco Dragway a few weeks ago to see what it would do. Fastest trap speed was ~106mph. Not that great for a KO4 which are typically ~115.

Replaced some very busted endlinks...

And finally, after dealing with Stratified for about 5 months decided to part ways. Not impressed at all with my tune and was tired of waiting 2-3 weeks to get updates. Decided with the recent APR sale to jump onboard and had their v3.1 installed at the recent excelerate cars and coffee event. Car is running better than ever at this point!

I placed an order with SRS-TEC for their fenders, ed35 side skirts and front lip, and the fog light delete grill pieces so I can fabricate brake ducts. Once all of that is in the car will be going in for paint. Stay tuned!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
How long did the previous set of SuperPro endlinks last?

About a year. Was able to warranty them through the vendor I bought them through

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
About a year. Was able to warranty them through the vendor I bought them through

Is that the typical lifespan of these? :confused:
I'm considering the SuperPro endlinks in the future, and it seems like the lifespan is shorter than OEM. I could be wrong though.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Same happened to a few buddies using superpro endlinks. The whitelines I have in front are no better. I'm planning on trying 034 and hoping I get a bit more life out of them.

You can also get replacement bearings directly from aurora without needing to buy a full replacement too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I am tempted to try 034. That's good to know. FCP Euro sells 034 parts and they said they're guaranteed for life and they'll warranty them. Definitely tempted to take them up on that.

Is that the typical lifespan of these? :confused:
I'm considering the SuperPro endlinks in the future, and it seems like the lifespan is shorter than OEM. I could be wrong though.

I think the track/autocross abuse just tears them apart. Properly adjusting them to eliminate preload makes a big difference.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure what AST uses, but it was included in my coilovers. So far so good with track duty and horrible roads. Can maybe give them a call?

This is mine

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Well finally discovered where that exhaust smell is coming from...

Looks like the turbo has to get dropped. Again.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Lots to update on.

The "exhaust smell" I thought was coming from a defective turbocharger was actually from my goddamn stupid ECS tuning catch can dripping oil from the rear fitting on the back of the cylinder head, which dripped on to the back of the motor/turbo causing the smell. Thank GOD I discovered that before I pulled the turbo again. New rear fitting on the way.

I finally got around to installing my APR OPS kit. I did a full write up of it here:

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117605

I heeded some advice from Hyde to reconnect the front PCV hose. Since then, there has been substantially less (if any) oil in my catch can, which would typically be filled to the brim after 1 autocross event. Very promising results so far, will hopefully see less oil in my intercooler as a result.

Next update, I got my hands on a Kenwood DNX516ABS head unit. You may remember this from Paddie McGrath's car "Project GTI" - it's the exact same one. It was only available in the UK/Europe, but it was purchased from a German eBay vendor and the seller already went through the trouble of obtaining US maps on an SD card. I just need to get the firmware updated. Unlike other aftermarket radios that look like poop, this radio looks absolutely OEM, and integrates with the MDF like a VW radio would.

Finally, enjoyed a fun (but cold) day at Thompson for CART's last event of the season:

https://youtu.be/5KKI7hW-PMg

Stability control was kicking in like CRAZY. Was getting pretty pissed, so figuring out how to deactivate that through VAGCOM is going towards the top of my list.

More updates coming soon!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I heeded some advice from Hyde to reconnect the front PCV hose. Since then, there has been substantially less (if any) oil in my catch can, which would typically be filled to the brim after 1 autocross event. Very promising results so far, will hopefully see less oil in my intercooler as a result.

just saved your piston rings...