GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA SHS--genuinely comfortable or "good for a lowered setup"?

somerset91

Ready to race!
I'm currently on Autotech/Sachs monotube shocks and VWR springs. They are phenomenal during spirited driving and don't beat you up on the daily drive as much as I'd have expected. But they still get to your nerves at the end of a long day.

The mk5 stock suspension was similar--great handling but wasn't that great for a daily driver. Mk6 stock suspension made for a great daily but left a little to be desired during spirited drives.

Is HPA SHS the best lowered setup in terms of comfort? Koni coilovers would be my next bet.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The HPA SHS are more or less KW V1's but with some V3 damping technology thrown in (I forgot their exact explanation of the particulars). They'll likely ride better than your shock/spring combo as the spring rate will be properly matched to the damper which is often missed when you piece together 2 different spring/shock brands. That being said, it's not going to ride like a cloud, either, unless you forked out money for Ohlins or something similar. The SHS are a very good coilover for the price and would highly recommend them.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
DG springs will get you to about 24.75” ftg. Pair those with good shocks and you’re good to go. If you want lower, the HPAs will get you to 24.5” ftg, but cost a bit in ride comfort. Still very manageable though.

I think new version Koni coilovers give about the same drop.

Anything lower than that really sacrifices comfort. I’m at 24” and ride is rough.

I purchased HPAs new. No regrets, if they went lower, I’d still run them.

somerset91

Ready to race!
I was running my setup as someone had these shocks with DG springs. VWR springs are more plentiful, so I just went with those instead of DG springs instead.

Maybe it's my perception of things. When I was taking public transit to work and driving more than 20 minutes only 1-2 times a week I found the setup to be fine. Now that I'm driving 5 days of the week 20+ miles, I want something a bit softer.