GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Cutout w/switch and Turboback Pics, Vids,...stay tuned for new VID

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Nice! Thought I'd see flames though!

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
haha...ya my friend messed up on the one vid where i downshifted to 2 and then back to 3 again. It really gets that crackle from the trans now like a rally car. Its hard to capture it on my came. You gotta be in the car or actually outside of it in reality to appreciate it. If I had a better speaker on the cam the overall sound would come off a lot meaner because it def is. I got the cutout up in there a bit so even if you look under its hard to see so I don't get popped by the cops or anything else. Wanted it stealth.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
last bump.

VIDS are DONE

I still can't really capture how nice the shifts sound with my cam. You would need to be in the car or have a better cam to here the shift sound.
I had one could pass where it probably would've took but my friend turned the camera off too early so the vid wasn't useable.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
where did you mount the switch for the cutout motor?

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
where did you mount the switch for the cutout motor?

Its the one thing I forgot to take a pic of. Its right where your right knee would sit, right underneath the dash. I dremeled a hole and it fit perfectly. Can't see it at all. I can reach it easily while driving. Its a momentary rocker switch. Pushing it towards the front of the car closes the cutout. Pushing it towards me or the back of the car opens the cutout.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
This is a really cool mod, because you can make it all loud and nasty when you want, but then switch it back to civilized when you prefer a quieter ride. I definitely wouldn't want my GTI that loud for daily driving, but that's the beauty of what you did, it doesn't have to be. Very cool, and appreciate all the videos! :thumbsup:

VagPuncher

Ready to race!
i actually like the way it sounds on the drive by's...

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys. Thats exactly why I did it. Its just a fun mod. Just lets you interact with your car that much more.

The thing with exhaust videos is a good sounding exhaust is always better in person. Maybe if the cam was made for videos I could really capture the sounds better but its one of those things....it'll always be slightly better in person. There is no rasp whens its open. Its running through one of Ultimate Racing's resonators and one really short and small vibrant res that almost looks like a high-flow cat. Thats it though. It actually doesn't really drone that much on the highway.. ....anyone of you guys that drove/road in it with me would be pretty surprised I think.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
I've been thinking about doing a cutout. I wonder if a better place would be on the downpipe, on the pipe that bolts to the turbo, and place it right between the bracket and the v-band clamp. That way it would be before the high flow cat, so itd be ridiculously loud when I want it to be. Or would it be a shame to hack up my beautiful 1st gen Eurojet Downpipe?

Here's where I'm talking about:

Or I could also do it on the reduced section right before the catback, so it would be after the high flow cat.

Last edited:

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
I've been thinking about doing a cutout. I wonder if a better place would be on the downpipe, on the pipe that bolts to the turbo, and place it right between the bracket and the v-band clamp. That way it would be before the high flow cat, so itd be ridiculously loud when I want it to be. Or would it be a shame to hack up my beautiful 1st gen Eurojet Downpipe?

Here's where I'm talking about:

Or I could also do it on the reduced section right before the catback, so it would be after the high flow cat.

The reason I did it where I did is so all the gases escape underneath the car better. Its also a cleaner install. Lastly its actually one of the only places if any you can even fit it. I had it set up with only one res before the cutout and it sounded like a mack truck and not necessarily all that good. Also on a stock turbo it may make you lose some torque initially. If you have the right shop do it than you can just have it welded up nicely like I did. Its not really hacking the system then because I used mandrel 304 stainless and then painted it black for looks.