GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

koni coilover problems

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i just installed some koni coilovers and i hear some rattling now. it sounds like somethings loose on the coilovers but i tightened everying fine. anyone know what it might be?

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
no droppped the back all the way down. and the fronts are 17 threads from the bottom. im going to drop the front to either 15 or 10 threads and the back to 5 threads

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
That's your oil pan rattling loose from bottoming out one too many times! Ha! J/p. I would walk thru all the bolts again when you go down in threads as a precaution.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
:S get some PSS10s :p haha jks

i don't know bro.

Hope you get it fixed :)

Maybe spray it with WD 40 or something?

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i narrowed it down to the back springs rattling i think. it sounds like they are moving around. im not sure why tho

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
Did you put the factory rubber pads back on the top of the springs?

+1^
I took everything out of the rear when i first installed them and got clanking sounds. I forgot to put those in and thought i'd get away with it. I put it back in and no more sounds....i get other sounds now:D

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
yeah i put the top rubber pads in but i didnt put the bottom ones because i dont think they fit. did you put them in on the bottom?

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
I'm not sure if there were any in the bottom or not but that could deff be the cause. Metal on metal. The spring was jumping around when i didnt put the top ones on so im assuming its the same concept but vice versa. If you dont want to put those rubber pieces and are trying to go lowest possible, you can wrap half the springs in some hose/tube. Did that on my previous car to avoid spring binding and worked out great.
No noise.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
I'm not sure if there were any in the bottom or not but that could deff be the cause. Metal on metal. The spring was jumping around when i didnt put the top ones on so im assuming its the same concept but vice versa. If you dont want to put those rubber pieces and are trying to go lowest possible, you can wrap half the springs in some hose/tube. Did that on my previous car to avoid spring binding and worked out great.
No noise.

yeah that sounds like a good idea, thanks!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
yeah i put the top rubber pads in but i didnt put the bottom ones because i dont think they fit. did you put them in on the bottom?

The rears are already in/on the lower control arm....you should've left them in.....that's what holds the spring in it's proper location

Metal on metal & nothing holding the spring (except pressure) is not good

You have to line up the spring & then turn it into the rubber pad for it to "lock in" to the tabs (there's a rubber stop for the beginning of the coil of the spring)

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
The rears are already in/on the lower control arm....you should've left them in.....that's what holds the spring in it's proper location

You have to line up the spring & then turn it into the rubber pad for it to "lock in" to the tabs (there's a rubber stop for the beginning of the coil of the spring)
+1

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!

alright thanks for the help:thumbup:, i'm going to get on it asap