GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > TDI / GTD discussions

Old 11-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
New noise I don't like!?!?

Hey y'all, been a while since I've had time to get on here. However, my TDI is making a strange noise that I think is the throwout bearing. You can hear the weird, almost ceramic noise over the idle in the beginning. I rev it once or twice, then I press in the clutch and you can hear the noise vanish. This is why I think it's the throwout bearing. Take a listen and if you have experience with this, please tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t8bmR23Uk4
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Austin_W
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2013 MKVI CSG GTi--6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitersLOSE14 View Post
Hey y'all, been a while since I've had time to get on here. However, my TDI is making a strange noise that I think is the throwout bearing. You can hear the weird, almost ceramic noise over the idle in the beginning. I rev it once or twice, then I press in the clutch and you can hear the noise vanish. This is why I think it's the throwout bearing. Take a listen and if you have experience with this, please tell.

Geez things sounds almost as bad as a diesel.

Oh wait...
Austin_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
azthegame
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 12 Golf 4DR TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_W View Post
Geez things sounds almost as bad as a diesel.

Oh wait...
Seriously lol...

Lots of people wish their TDI sounded like a Cummins pickup
azthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
jade eyed wolf
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 12 TDI 4dr 6sp, APR 1, SnowPerf W/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitersLOSE14 View Post

It might be the throwout bearing, however, and I could be crazy in my thinking, if it were the throwout bearing, wouldn't the sound get worse when you pressed the pedal? I mean, when you're pressing the pedal, you're putting pressure on the springs for the pressure plate, right? That pressure would also be acting upon the throwout bearing. Wouldn't that exacerbate an issue with the bearing itself if there were something wrong with it? Like I said, it might still be the throwout bearing, I'm just thinking aloud (you know what I mean).

That said, seeing as how the problem goes away when you depress the pedal, this leads me to believe it could be a problem with either the clutch disc (are you getting any slip?) or perhaps something along the course of the input shaft (which could include the TB). Again, just thinking aloud.

It could also be part of the pressure plate rubbing against the bell housing just slightly. When you press the clutch pedal, you might be moving things just enough that it's no longer rubbing maybe.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Last edited by jade eyed wolf; 11-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.
jade eyed wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
QuitersLOSE14

Quote:
Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
Seriously lol...

Lots of people wish their TDI sounded like a Cummins pickup
Me being one of these people. CR's just wont though by design. I also wished it rolled coal to ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade eyed wolf View Post
It might be the throwout bearing, however, and I could be crazy in my thinking, if it were the throwout bearing, wouldn't the sound get worse when you pressed the pedal? I mean, when you're pressing the pedal, you're putting pressure on the springs for the pressure plate, right? That pressure would also be acting upon the throwout bearing. Wouldn't that exacerbate an issue with the bearing itself if there were something wrong with it? Like I said, it might still be the throwout bearing, I'm just thinking aloud (you know what I mean).

That said, seeing as how the problem goes away when you depress the pedal, this leads me to believe it could be a problem with either the clutch disc (are you getting any slip?) or perhaps something along the course of the input shaft (which could include the TB). Again, just thinking aloud.

It could also be part of the pressure plate rubbing against the bell housing just slightly. When you press the clutch pedal, you might be moving things just enough that it's no longer rubbing maybe.

Anyone else have some thoughts?
I've talked with my dad on the issue as well. I brought up the fact that it should do it when you press the clutch in like you said. Instead mine is opposite. He mentioned pilot bearing, for the input shaft like you said. Some research I did led to the dual mass flywheel. Idk, I'm taking it tomorrow to have a tech hear the noise at the dealer to get a better opinion. My dealer happens to actually be quite good where I'm at.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
QuitersLOSE14

They speculated secondary vacuum leaks. No tech looked at it because I don't believe in paying money to speculate on what a problem is. I'll be getting my 40k done as soon as I get money for it, so hopefully I can figure it out. Also, lets hope its an issue covered by warranty!

Tags
clutch, golf, tdi, throwout bearing