GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do I need for front caliper upgrade?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi. Besides rotor, carrier, and calipers (going with stock GTI ones), do I need anything else to upgrade my front brakes?

somerset91

Ready to race!
I'll be damned. That takes care of a lot of things.

Does the larger GTI rotors help with anything besides better heat dissipation?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Cool. So improving brake performance short of a big brake kit would be better pads, fluids, lines, and caliper stiffening kit, correct?

For a daily driver, I've heard OEM fluid is more than enough and steel lines offer better feel but nothing earth shattering.

somerset91

Ready to race!
sure it's the same? I have a rabbit and a gti. The 15" steelies from the rabbit won't clear my gti brakes.

I think that might have to do with more of the bigger rotors on the GTI. Tthe Golf and GTI they use the same pads when I check for part numbers.

I guess it was cheaper to use smaller rotors than to offer 16" wheels on the cheapest Golf

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'll be damned. That takes care of a lot of things.

Does the larger GTI rotors help with anything besides better heat dissipation?

The larger rotor will allow for greater stopping force because like a long handled wrench you can a apply more torque. If you want to really improve your brakes as you put these on ... go with something like an Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pad and you will notice a BIG difference. Street driving - regular OEM fluid is fine. If you track your car absolutely get hi-temp fluid.

One other mod a lot of us have used with GTI or R brakes is the Tyrolsport stiffening kit. I put in the braided lines just because but I personally didn't notice much difference.

GTI rotors and Hawk HPS pads and you will feel a big change.

somerset91

Ready to race!
The larger rotor will allow for greater stopping force because like a long handled wrench you can a apply more torque. If you want to really improve your brakes as you put these on ... go with something like an Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pad and you will notice a BIG difference. Street driving - regular OEM fluid is fine. If you track your car absolutely get hi-temp fluid.

One other mod a lot of us have used with GTI or R brakes is the Tyrolsport stiffening kit. I put in the braided lines just because but I personally didn't notice much difference.

GTI rotors and Hawk HPS pads and you will feel a big change.

From what I understand, there shouldn't be any rotational force involved in braking. The calipers seem to be a set of pistons powered by hydraulics pushing the pad up against the rotors.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Use better pads without a big power increse going to larger and heavier rotors will effectively slow you Golf down due to the increse in rotational mass, ask any one using "boat anchor" Detroit wheels on their Golf 2.5.

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah I see where he's coming from. Since the rotors are larger and the calipers are placed at the edge, the rotational force along the axis would result in higher braking power.

I have thought about that before as well. But if you are able to lock the wheels up with the Golf brakes, then it doesn't NEED any more force to stop the car, right? Which would mean going to GTI brakes is only beneficial by gives you more consistent stopping power when you are on the track. (if you are panic stopping repeatedly on the street, you are doing something wrong... if you are frequently going down big hills, you need to consider engine braking).

The reason I have GTI brakes on my car is because I tow with the car, and the extra weight could potentially overcome the stock brakes. As a result, I upgraded to the GTI brakes to give myself more stopping force. I have yet to put it to the test though, and am hoping I never have to. I have also installed much wider tires to allow for more traction (both to accelerate and decelerate, and for anyone thinking that wider tires = heavier tires, and would only slow me down: my car is turbo'd, so I have more than enough power to overcome the extra weight from the tires).

Here's what I think makes the most sense:
http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-parts/why-a-big-brake-kit-wont-make-your-car-stop-faster

and i quote:
"Big brake systems were not designed to stop your car sooner, but rather, stop it more efficiently and consistently. The larger calipers, vented discs, and exotic-compound pads increase heat capacity and heat dissipation. These upgraded braking systems not only perform well under extreme temperatures, but in most cases perform better when hot as opposed to average street driving temperatures. This is definitely something to consider when deciding on rotor and pad compounds. Because these brakes dissipate heat more effectively, they reduce brake fade. Brake fade occurs under high temperatures, can be caused by boiled brake fluid, and results in a soft pedal and elongated stopping distances. Big brake systems don’t decrease your car’s stopping distance over stock. Instead, they are designed to perform consistently under extreme conditions so that your car will stop just as well the first time as the N’th time. "

Peter

madbikes

Ready to race!
Hi. Besides rotor, carrier, and calipers (going with stock GTI ones), do I need anything else to upgrade my front brakes?

A big brake kit for the GTI will be a much more worthy upgrade since going for GTI stock rotor with the necessary hardware is a small jump.

Everything bolts up. It's not cheap, but will feel like you actually do have brakes at the end with a smile. Requires 17" wheels with an offset of +47 minimum to fit.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2489727&postcount=329

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have thought about that before as well. But if you are able to lock the wheels up with the Golf brakes, then it doesn't NEED any more force to stop the car, right? Which would mean going to GTI brakes is only beneficial by gives you more consistent stopping power when you are on the track. (if you are panic stopping repeatedly on the street, you are doing something wrong... if you are frequently going down big hills, you need to consider engine braking).

The reason I have GTI brakes on my car is because I tow with the car, and the extra weight could potentially overcome the stock brakes. As a result, I upgraded to the GTI brakes to give myself more stopping force. I have yet to put it to the test though, and am hoping I never have to. I have also installed much wider tires to allow for more traction (both to accelerate and decelerate, and for anyone thinking that wider tires = heavier tires, and would only slow me down: my car is turbo'd, so I have more than enough power to overcome the extra weight from the tires).

Here's what I think makes the most sense:
http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-parts/why-a-big-brake-kit-wont-make-your-car-stop-faster

and i quote:
"Big brake systems were not designed to stop your car sooner, but rather, stop it more efficiently and consistently. The larger calipers, vented discs, and exotic-compound pads increase heat capacity and heat dissipation. These upgraded braking systems not only perform well under extreme temperatures, but in most cases perform better when hot as opposed to average street driving temperatures. This is definitely something to consider when deciding on rotor and pad compounds. Because these brakes dissipate heat more effectively, they reduce brake fade. Brake fade occurs under high temperatures, can be caused by boiled brake fluid, and results in a soft pedal and elongated stopping distances. Big brake systems don’t decrease your car’s stopping distance over stock. Instead, they are designed to perform consistently under extreme conditions so that your car will stop just as well the first time as the N’th time. "

Peter

"The reason I have GTI brakes on my car is because I tow with the car, and the extra weight could potentially overcome the stock brakes."

Just an FYI... as you increase speed you are also increasing the amount of braking power needed to stop the car. I will add to that by saying that stopping or slowing safely requires modulation if you are setting up for a turn (as opposed to panic stopping). Big brakes provide that. I have driven my car at the track with stock brakes and with modified Golf R brakes and the difference is amazing and I can brake much later coming in to turns. So I have larger brakes for spiritied canyon driving and track use. Driving non-spirited in town driving, stock brakes work just fine.