GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost of timing chain tensioner replacement

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
just wondered how much you guys paid to have the OLD tensioner replaced with the NEW and updated one? with parts provided or just labour if you guys bought your own tensioner, bolts, covers and sealant.

OH, and does anyone have a list of parts needed (also part #’s and quantity) needed for this job?

i'm in Waterloo, ONT and looking for reputable fair priced shop to do the job if anyone knows and recommends.

thx

Last edited:

kashak

Ready to race!
just wondered how much you guys paid to have the OLD tensioner replaced with the NEW and updated one? with parts provided or just labour if you guys bought your own tensioner, bolts, covers and sealant.

OH, and does anyone have a list of parts needed (also part #’s and quantity) needed for this job?

i'm in Waterloo, ONT and looking for reputable fair priced shop to do the job if anyone knows and recommends.

thx

The coworker that I sold my GTI to got it done for $1100+ tax at Independent Tuning. This included new chains, guides, chain tensioner, cover, oil change, etc. I think just the labour was $600.

SJC

Ready to race!

thx

Try Foreign Automotive for a price quote.
They are a VW & Audi specialty shop located right there in Kitchener.

Wed-Wabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
I paid roughly $1400after taxes for mine

I’ll see if I can find my invoice which lists parts as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
I paid roughly $1400after taxes for mine

I’ll see if I can find my invoice which lists parts as well

that would be great if you could find the invoice with the parts list; that would help me lots

thx

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The coworker that I sold my GTI to got it done for $1100+ tax at Independent Tuning. This included new chains, guides, chain tensioner, cover, oil change, etc. I think just the labour was $600.
That is expensive !

Friends tell me they swap the tensioner out in less than 3 hours, I will see if this is true one our Tiguan when I get back to Canada, I have the special tools (pulley holder and donut) so I will give it a go myself.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I paid around $1,100, but didn't get new chains installed; I got it done at 115,000KM, so I was told my current timing chain can last up until 250,000KM.

I got mine done at K&H Rad in Scarborough.

Wed-Wabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh dang, totally forgot this.
Here’s the list!

BS2H

Ready to race!
Is this timing chain issue?

Hey guys,

I have approx. 90,000 miles on my car.

So today I tried to start my car and it turns over (Battery is ok, spark plugs were changed at 60k, so they are ok.

But the car doesn't start up. I'm thinking 1) there is a boost leak somewhere (PVC?) or 2) timing chain went and the injectors are bent which means that there is no compression in the cylinders. It just clicks and clicks and clicks until I turn the key off.

My question is - how did you know if your timing chain went? Does this sound like mine has gone? And thanks for the response - I'll probably be looking at 1,100 to 1,400 I guess. Was this at the VW dealer or specialized dealer?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys,

I have approx. 90,000 miles on my car.

So today I tried to start my car and it turns over (Battery is ok, spark plugs were changed at 60k, so they are ok.

But the car doesn't start up. I'm thinking 1) there is a boost leak somewhere (PVC?) or 2) timing chain went and the injectors are bent which means that there is no compression in the cylinders. It just clicks and clicks and clicks until I turn the key off.

My question is - how did you know if your timing chain went? Does this sound like mine has gone? And thanks for the response - I'll probably be looking at 1,100 to 1,400 I guess. Was this at the VW dealer or specialized dealer?
Your car is direct injection even with a boost leak it would still crank and idle. The 2.0 TSI Engine is basically a diesel engine with spark plugs and less compression, it makes alot of noise just turning over.

I knew our 2.0T engine in the Tiguan was done as soon as my wife came and got me and mentioned some noises and then I heard the silence as the engine turned with the starter, it was confirmed.

Good Luck

racerboX

I'm also looking into replacing my tensioner. Are there any other shops you guys recommend? I see a Scarborough and Waterloo shop mentioned, I'm in the west end closer to Hamilton.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

that's where I'm headed next two weeks to have my chain done.. .they did my tensioner in 2016 and for $90 I'm going to just replace it again too. quoted $1000 if nothing else goes wrong.. gonna do the carbon cleaning for another $500 :cry:

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
if i bought a car with 60000 on it could i just do the tensioner?

I did timing system before and that was pricey.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!

Considering Independent Tuning on Crockford in Scarborough and AST (Auto Select Tuning) in Brampton for mine. Anyone dealt with Mittler Motors on Gorham in Newmarket for this?

that's where I'm headed next two weeks to have my chain done.. .they did my tensioner in 2016 and for $90 I'm going to just replace it again too. quoted $1000 if nothing else goes wrong.. gonna do the carbon cleaning for another $500 :cry:

How did it go? Cost? Was the carbon by walnut or chemical? Thanks.