Not open for further replies.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
We have a 3 bedroom house. For guests? Iono
1 we sleep in
1 for you when you visit
1 that doubles as a junk drawer

not bad :)

so i guess im saying any house with 4 bedrooms for only 2 people seems excessive. i see the point on 3 somewhat, youve altered my outlook.

I have three bed apartment. One for our bedroom, second for my office, and third for 50 shades of gray action.
wow craig TMI

Jaber

Modero
Speaking of money and houses , ill never understand people who buy 4 bedroom houses but only need 1 for them to sleep in. Such a waste.

Is it a status thing? Someone help me understand.

Not too shabby

We went from a 3BR/2.5 bath townhouse to a 4BR/2.5 bath SFH. In our TH, the 2 bedrooms were small (10x10), so the 3rd was used as a playroom for the kid. This way our main living area didn't look like a daycare with crap all over the place. We tried using it as an office, but it got pretty tight with two desks, printer, filing cabinet, etc.

If you WFH, you need a dedicated working area. So my wife and I share an office in the new house. It is big enough where both of us can WFH at the same time and not feel jammed into a space. The fourth bedroom is used as a spare, incase family visits and wants to spend the night over. Right now we just have a inflatable bed in there. We don't plan on having anymore kids, but in the event we do or have a whoopsie baby, we will have a room for them, while still having an office.

I personally don't know anyone who is single or married with no kids and has a 4 bedroom house. Maybe they bought the house to grow into it, but if they don't plan on having kids, yeah that can be a big waste. Unless the husband and wife want a room for each of their hobbies.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
We went from a 3BR/2.5 bath townhouse to a 4BR/2.5 bath SFH. In our TH, the 2 bedrooms were small (10x10), so the 3rd was used as a playroom for the kid. This way our main living area didn't look like a daycare with crap all over the place. We tried using it as an office, but it got pretty tight with two desks, printer, filing cabinet, etc.

If you WFH, you need a dedicated working area. So my wife and I share an office in the new house. It is big enough where both of us can WFH at the same time and not feel jammed into a space. The fourth bedroom is used as a spare, incase family visits and wants to spend the night over. Right now we just have a inflatable bed in there. We don't plan on having anymore kids, but in the event we do or have a whoopsie baby, we will have a room for them, while still having an office.

I personally don't know anyone who is single or married with no kids and has a 4 bedroom house. Maybe they bought the house to grow into it, but if they don't plan on having kids, yeah that can be a big waste. Unless the husband and wife want a room for each of their hobbies.

Seen your house. Yours is perfect imo. Not big by any means but gets the job done in all respects. Thats the kind of house I want to move into once the wife and I find a place to live.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Pretty much everything that could be said, has been said.

Room for you. (1)
Room for each kiddo. (0-n)
Guest room for visitors. (1)
Home office space if you ever WFH. (1-n)

If you're a person who works an office job in this day and age, chances are, you WFH at least on occasion. So that alone puts you at 3 br's, really.

If you and your significant other BOTH work from home... might justify having 2 home offices. Depends on what kind of environment you both need.

Then add kids.

We have a 3br + loft home, where the loft area is huge. The loft became my WFH space. My son has his room, and until recently, we also had a guest room.

We converted the guest room to the son's sort of "2nd room" - he's got a couch in there, his XBOX, etc. Our basement is unfinished and being 14, he wants/needs a spot to hang out with his friends without being in the common area living room... both he wants it, and the wife+I got sick of (a) the main living room getting trashed and (b) the noise and (c) what if WE want to watch TV?

All of his other friends have finished basements, which is where they usually hang out. Better to give him a small 2nd space, where they can come hang out HERE (and we can keep an eye on them) vs. defaulting to "never home."

My buddy Mike (who since relo'd to IA) had a 4000sqft 5br house in Cary... for himself.

Master bedroom and laundry were both on the first floor. He literally never went upstairs. He lived there a few years and some of the rooms hadn't been touched in years. Just empty. The house had dual thermostats... he basically shut everything off upstairs and just lived on the first floor.

He bought the place because he wanted the garage space. It's pretty hard to find a reasonable 1200-1500 sqft house that comes with 1500sqft of garage space :)

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion

Good points yeah. Inflateable bed is a great option. We may go that route too.

Your 4th bedroom should be your mancave :)

Party at jabers?

Seen your house. Yours is perfect imo. Not big by any means but gets the job done in all respects. Thats the kind of house I want to move into once the wife and I find a place to live.
Thats the noise youre hearing at night jaber, its andrew with his res deleted gti creepin by.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Good points yeah. Inflateable bed is a great option. We may go that route too.

Party at jabers?

Thats the noise youre hearing at night jaber, its andrew with his res deleted gti creepin by.

Nah,
I drive past your house all the time boosted. You just dont hear me in that big mansion of yours.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie

That's what the unfinished basement is for.

Too dank and dingy for the wife and kid to like it. "Eeew the basement is gross and there are spiders."

Cool. Then you'll leave me alone when I'm down there.

I keep my sim rig in the unfinished basement amongst all the boxes and shelves and race tire storage.

She got mad that I had some friends over to check out the sim rig, that they were in the basement. So I rolled out some of the carpet scraps. There. It's fancy now.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Too busy in garage slamming car for no reason at all other than cuz. Iono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapping wheels for fun. Checking his dip stick making sure its not leaking oil :iono:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Pretty much everything that could be said, has been said.

Room for you. (1)
Room for each kiddo. (0-n)
Guest room for visitors. (1)
Home office space if you ever WFH. (1-n)

If you're a person who works an office job in this day and age, chances are, you WFH at least on occasion. So that alone puts you at 3 br's, really.

If you and your significant other BOTH work from home... might justify having 2 home offices. Depends on what kind of environment you both need.

Then add kids.

We have a 3br + loft home, where the loft area is huge. The loft became my WFH space. My son has his room, and until recently, we also had a guest room.

We converted the guest room to the son's sort of "2nd room" - he's got a couch in there, his XBOX, etc. Our basement is unfinished and being 14, he wants/needs a spot to hang out with his friends without being in the common area living room... both he wants it, and the wife+I got sick of (a) the main living room getting trashed and (b) the noise and (c) what if WE want to watch TV?

All of his other friends have finished basements, which is where they usually hang out. Better to give him a small 2nd space, where they can come hang out HERE (and we can keep an eye on them) vs. defaulting to "never home."

My buddy Mike (who since relo'd to IA) had a 4000sqft 5br house in Cary... for himself.

Master bedroom and laundry were both on the first floor. He literally never went upstairs. He lived there a few years and some of the rooms hadn't been touched in years. Just empty. The house had dual thermostats... he basically shut everything off upstairs and just lived on the first floor.

He bought the place because he wanted the garage space. It's pretty hard to find a reasonable 1200-1500 sqft house that comes with 1500sqft of garage space :)
Yeah your buddy with that large house, that is what ill never understand . At that point youre almost better off buying a smaller house with land, then build your dream garage on it.

Ive been noticing the trend of kids getting an extra game room happening more and more. From your point of view im assuming its cause you want them out of your living and let them mess up that room as much as they want. Do you find your kid sleeps in that room often? like on the couch.

Family i know who has a kid, they did the extra room thing with him...seems he stays up till 3-4 in the morning playing xbox with his friends till he runs out orange soda or passes out.

If i worked from home no doubt would appreciate a nice work room, our spare doubles as our office and game room. I have guests maybe 2-4 times a year max.

I have neighbors who have so much stuff in their 2 car garages they cant/dont even park in them. Another topic that blows my mind. Anyone whos ever lived somewhere without a garage knows what an atrocity that is.

How are the windows on your place? new construction crap?
Nah,
I drive past your house all the time boosted. You just dont hear me in that big mansion of yours.
luls i wish

Too dank and dingy for the wife and kid to like it. "Eeew the basement is gross and there are spiders."

I keep my sim rig in the unfinished basement amongst all the boxes and shelves and race tire storage.

She got mad that I had some friends over to check out the sim rig, that they were in the basement. So I rolled out some of the carpet scraps. There. It's fancy now.
Get a mini bar down there, some better lighting . Maybe a pool table if its a wide setup. Surround sound , maybe a 50 inch tv. We can help you spend your money on ultimate man cave. :laugh:

Unfinished basements arent normally pretty, i think most guests know that going in them. A basement for the most part is just overflow storage you dont need to access often.

Too busy in garage slamming car for no reason at all other than cuz. Iono.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol
Swapping wheels for fun. Checking his dip stick making sure its not leaking oil :iono:

lmfao. funny cause swapped wheels for winter. pads too. even though not really planning on driving it this winter.

If someone can take a bunch of oil jugs away for me ill throw you $20 to dispose of it . (legally) somewhere. been meaning to. #oil hoarder

Jaber

Modero

Hopefully we can finish our basement in the next 3-5 years. Want a movie room (with sim rig in the corner) and some area where I can have a work bench to work on small stuff and clean the gunz.

I'm trying to save monies to build a rig, hopefully within the next year or two. Since I need to buy or build a PC, it's going to make it expensive.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Yeah your buddy with that large house, that is what ill never understand . At that point youre almost better off buying a smaller house with land, then build your dream garage on it.

Ive been noticing the trend of kids getting an extra game room happening more and more. From your point of view im assuming its cause you want them out of your living and let them mess up that room as much as they want. Do you find your kid sleeps in that room often? like on the couch.

Family i know who has a kid, they did the extra room thing with him...seems he stays up till 3-4 in the morning playing xbox with his friends till he runs out orange soda or passes out.

If i worked from home no doubt would appreciate a nice work room, our spare doubles as our office and game room. I have guests maybe 2-4 times a year max.

I have neighbors who have so much stuff in their 2 car garages they cant/dont even park in them. Another topic that blows my mind. Anyone whos ever lived somewhere without a garage knows what an atrocity that is.

How are the windows on your place? new construction crap?

luls i wish

Get a mini bar down there, some better lighting . Maybe a pool table if its a wide setup. Surround sound , maybe a 50 inch tv. We can help you spend your money on ultimate man cave. :laugh:

Unfinished basements arent normally pretty, i think most guests know that going in them. A basement for the most part is just overflow storage you dont need to access often.

lol

lmfao. funny cause swapped wheels for winter. pads too. even though not really planning on driving it this winter.

If someone can take a bunch of oil jugs away for me ill throw you $20 to dispose of it . (legally) somewhere. been meaning to. #oil hoarder

You can take it to any parts place like Advance or Oreilys and they take it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.