GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tracking stock GTI @ SoW

swisscheese

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Guys,

New guy in town. I just bought a '13 GTI DSG couple months ago. It's broken in now and i'm considering doing a track day at streets of willow. The only mod i'm considering of doing is picking up some decent summer tires. Other than that everything will be stock. I'm thinking I'll be ok. Has anyone tracked a stock GTI at that track or any track in general. What are your thoughts and advice?

I'm worried about brakes the most. they are not the most confidence inspiring.

P.S.

I track my 08 cbr600rr at streets of willow regularly for the past 3 years so I'm very familiar with that track.

Thanks,

Swisscheese

UNFOGIVABLE

Go Kart Champion
I drove my car very spiritedly on some windy roads. and my brakes got heat soaked with the stock brakes.. I feel The heat soak may be worse on a track.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I would def pick up a set of good brake pads if your planning on spending a whole day on the track.

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
Took my stock GTI to the track`

I took my stock GTI to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park for a day and had 5 30min sessions with no issues in August.

Mosport is one of the fastest tracks in the world, so arguably it isn't as hard on the brakes as a very turn heavy track. I did have the front brake pads and rotors replaced (regular maintenance) shortly before.

The car performed well, there was a small bit of engine heat soak and brake fade near to the end of the sessions, but not enough to ruin the fun or make me feel unsafe. Heatsoak and brake fade will happen to most street cars on a track over extended periods, so this isn't really out of the ordinary.

The club I went to the track with requires a mechanic to complete an inspection form before allowing my car on the track. One of the inspection items was for the brake fluid to be bled and topped up. The mechanic also found that one of my rear springs was cracked and had to have it replaced before being allowed on the track (was not tracked prior).

It was a whole lot of fun, and I felt the car performed well for a little sporty hatchback.

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
You should be fine

You should have no issues as long as your brakes aren't low and your fluids are all topped up.

Summer tires will have a massive impact on how your car will perform on the track. I went with All seasons, and even though It was still a lot of fun All seasons sqauwk a lot around hard turn, they're just not made for he track.

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
DO NOT USE E-BRAKE AFTER SESSION

Also I meant to say do not use your e-brake after a track session until the brakes have fully cooled (don't touch them either).

If you do you run the risk of fusing the pads to the rotors or warping the rotors because the brakes are extremely hot after a track session.

swisscheese

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks!

This is awesome. I see a lot of good information here.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't have guessed to not put the parking brake up. It does make sense. It looks like i'll just have to keep monitoring my temps and brakes. I'll probably have to scrub off more speed before entering the tighter turns.

I'll pretty much be running a brand new car, with new pads, rotors, etc.

I'll be definitely running autox with stock setup in May. I haven't decided if i will get summer tires for the autox yet. I've done aggressive canyon carving in malibu canyons. All season tires aren't that great i noticed hehe.

I'll let everyone know how my autox goes. Thanks again for responding guys.

Swisscheese

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
This is awesome. I see a lot of good information here.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't have guessed to not put the parking brake up. It does make sense. It looks like i'll just have to keep monitoring my temps and brakes. I'll probably have to scrub off more speed before entering the tighter turns.

I'll pretty much be running a brand new car, with new pads, rotors, etc.

I'll be definitely running autox with stock setup in May. I haven't decided if i will get summer tires for the autox yet. I've done aggressive canyon carving in malibu canyons. All season tires aren't that great i noticed hehe.

I'll let everyone know how my autox goes. Thanks again for responding guys.

Swisscheese

Yeah you're good to go.

Also make sure you bring lots of gas if it isn't available at the track, fuel consumption is on another level while tracking.

Possibly some basic tools like tire pressure guage and torque wrench come to mind. Club I went with reccomended that tires be kept at approx 2 psi above owners manual, and to check after every session as well as torque check your wheels after every session. If you don't have the tools, likely somebody their will have them and let you borrow if you ask nicely.

formul8

My GLI farts
Stock pads will be TOAST after the weekend. Either swap in new pads before you go or keep them on hand through the weekend and burn up the OEM's.

mrgoodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
I am selling my old setup for brakes.
HP+ pads and a pair of matched blank rotors to use with the pads.

I never switch my pads on the same rotors.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72373

Let me know if your intersted. I would also suggest switching to RBF600 brake fluid makes a huge difference and remove your heat shields.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If you don't want to switch pads between track and street, look into Carbotech's pads....though it might be cheaper just get 2 sets of rotors. They are sold as if you run both their street and track offering, you don't need to do any re-bedding work when switching. This is what I run, with their street pads all around and swap to XP10 on the front for track days.

Also note stickier the tire you are going to run, more critical it is to have pads that can handle heat, and fluid that can handle higher temp. Street of Willow will be more demanding on the brake compare to say, Mosport(CTMP) mentioned earlier. Mosport has longer straights also, allows for more cooling to happen between braking events.

swisscheese

Passed Driver's Ed
More Good info

Thanks Guys,

More good info. It looks like I might need to pick up some pads at the very least just to be safe. I might just take mrgoodbar's offer :)

DerekKanarek

Ready to race!
I drove my car on a private track last summer in Arizona and after about 30min there was smoke coming from my brakes

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Brake pads and fluid. Those are necessary IMO. I boiled my brake fluid and lost my brakes when I tracked my stock GTI on all-seasons. It will be worse on summer tires. Granted I was pushing the car hard, but if you have previous experience on the track, I'm sure you will be as well.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Also make sure you bring lots of gas if it isn't available at the track, fuel consumption is on another level while tracking.

This is another good point to keep in mind. I cut my last session early because I was nearly out of fuel. You should try to start the day with a full tank.