GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2 Hardware - SEM Motorsports after install pics

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
I picked up my newly Unitronic Stage 2 GTI from SEM Motorsports in North York. Went from stock to stage 2.

Tom at SEM Motorsports took after install photos of the downpipe(stock cat-back) and intake. They did a great job and the Unitronic hardware looks well made and sturdy.

So far the customer service from Unitronic and SEM Motorsports has been phenomenal. SEM also did some other maintenance and service for me at reasonable rates.

Impressions:

Intake:
- Excellent Quality and fitment
- louder than stock intake
- more turbo, induction, and DV sounds

Downpipe:
- Excellent quality and fitment
- noticeably louder on cold start
- not noticeably louder at idle
- not significantly louder while in D
- noticeably louder at WOT
- All in all sounds great and isn't drony at all
- DSG shift louder and more pronounced

Stage 2 Tune:
- Quite a lot more tourque and horsepower
- more responsive
- power delivery is very smooth
- very drivable and smooth when in D or just cruising
- Uniconnect allows for flashing at home
- have to be easier on 1st and 2nd while launching due to traction

Downpipe Shot #1:

Downpipe Shot #2:

Downpipe Shot #3:

Downpipe Shot #4:

Downpipe Shot #5:

Intake Shot #1:

Intake Shot #2:

Intake Shot #3:

Last edited:

wireless

Ready to race!
what catback is that mated to? I like the looks of the Unitronic downpipe, seems to be a great buy for the money. I like my CTS though.. and a good bit cheaper.. lol

MichaelGTi

Ready to race!
ugh, I'm so torn...I already spoke to Tom about going up to stage 1+, but keep wondering if I should just go to stage 2 and be done with it then worry about the clutch later. Looks like stock catback on your car? I just don't want a loud car, been there done that and I'm too old for that shit anymore. Would love to hear your thoughts on sound increase/difference with just the downpipe.

RoidRage

Ready to race!
ugh, I'm so torn...I already spoke to Tom about going up to stage 1+, but keep wondering if I should just go to stage 2 and be done with it then worry about the clutch later. Looks like stock catback on your car? I just don't want a loud car, been there done that and I'm too old for that shit anymore. Would love to hear your thoughts on sound increase/difference with just the downpipe.

Screw that, save up and go straight k04!! Go hard or go home!

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
what catback is that mated to? I like the looks of the Unitronic downpipe, seems to be a great buy for the money. I like my CTS though.. and a good bit cheaper.. lol

It's the stock cat back. I wanted to keep the OEM because I find most of the aftermarket ones are either too loud or the exhaust tips are too large for my taste.

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed

Yes I'm on the same page as you, don't want my car to be too loud. It is the stock catback, I'll comment on sound once I've driven it. Also I'd let you hear it if you wanted to drive down from Bolton, PM me if interested.

The reason I skipped stage 1 & 1+ is because I only have a couple months of extended warranty left on my car. So I figure I might as well maximize the power from the stock turbo and do what I want since all service costs are going to be on me soon. Also I have DSG so I don't have to buy an upgraded clutch. Also partially just in case I decide to go KO4 one day, then I already have some of the requirements.

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
Screw that, save up and go straight k04!! Go hard or go home!

Just curious why didn't you go straight to KO4 rather than stage 1+?

Or you realized in retrospec this is what you should have done after getting stage 1+?

Maybe one day...

wireless

Ready to race!
I was happy with doing it in stages. That way I could see the differences between them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed

Updated with some first impressions and comments on exhaust sounds.

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
I was happy with doing it in stages. That way I could see the differences between them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah I think that's probably the most appealing reason to do it in stages. You do save a bit of money going straight to stage 2, but I don't think it is significant.