GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Think I made a big mistake...

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
I usually drive in manual mode when below 50 mph then I just stick it in drive. Car feels so sluggish about 50ish to me.
I think I might of found a 2011 6speed gti for about 19k less miles see what they can work out. If not I'll look into a audi a4,Wrx or hold out and get into a mk7

Any A4 you can get into at this price point is not going to be worth it. You'll be paying out your ears in service fees. The WRX is a solid, reliable vehicle, so if you can afford it, and you realize you'll be taking a downgrade on the quality of the interior (which plays a huge role for me, seeing as I don't race around like a maniac all that often), then go for it.

If you can get the 2011 GTI, and only tack on a couple more thousand to your already existing bill, then go for it. But please, for the sake of your own financial security, stick with this car until you pay it off!!!

shanexh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a feeling that some of the people that complain about the DSG and think MT is sooo much better haven't actually driven one or a dual clutch transmission car for that matter. And vice versa...

Personally I think the DSG (and DCTs in general) are the way of the future, and I can't see myself buying another car without some form of DCT. I don't buy the argument that they are less "fun" or "sporty", sure you can put it in D mode if you want, but I'd say overall they are more sporty and fun.

All my previous cars were manual, and I'll never go back. Initially I was concerned about the DSG, but once I test drove it I was sold.

Nearly instantaneous shifts (aprox 10ms I beleive), no noticeable loss of boost while shifting, and can handle power well above stock. Nope you won't be hearing complaints from me ... and the bonus is I can put it in D if I'm stuck in traffic or for the girlfriend when she drives.

This is not your typical automatic!

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I made it 2 years in my 2010 Autobahn DSG before I just couldn't take it anymore and just wanted to be driving a stick shift again.

That said though, the manual in the GTI just isn't that great. Which is why I ended up in a completely different car despite loving everything about the GTI except for lack of stick and frequency of dealer trips.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
to each their own. I'd much rather upgrade the clutch than have DSG.

I agree with you. DSG is .1 sec faster or so they say and boooorrrriiinnnggg to drive.

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
Thank you to the two individuals who quoted me. It was just like, my opinion, man.

Extra special shout outs to the poster who somehow found a way to twist my sentiments into a comparison of a GTI and $100k sports car. You win.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
wow this has turned into full blown, I have a manual therefore my dick is rock hard and 14" long debate, and DSGs are piloted by pink tacos

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
Thank you to the two individuals who quoted me. It was just like, my opinion, man.

Extra special shout outs to the poster who somehow found a way to twist my sentiments into a comparison of a GTI and $100k sports car. You win.

And who are you to have an opinion? :D

Before driving the GTI with the DSG, I felt the same as you man. Even though I can't afford them, I was pissed when I saw that Porsche had finally made the move to all dual clutch transmissions. But after driving it, I am in love.

However, if I had the money, I'd have a Porsche Turbo S with a manual, an automatic luxury mobiles for daily driving, and a 4-door Jeep Wrangler. Because even though the dual clutch transmissions perform better, for the purposes of just having fun, I'd want the manual. I just don't want a manual for my only vehicle and to me, the DSG is a fantastic combination of the two!

If I was racing, dual clutch all the way.

fkshtup

Ready to race!

fkshtup

Ready to race!