GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
Those T25 housings.... I will place a wager that every single turbo setup using this housing has the same crack right there. I usually debur that particular area before sending them out but it just staves off the inevitable. Ni-resist will not help as its actually more brittle and its not so much the material but the actual casting in that area is very thin after the machining process which develops a major stress riser.

It can spool and work fine with that crack for a while but eventually, the heat cycling will make the halves shift which may contact your turbine wheel

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Those T25 housings.... I will place a wager that every single turbo setup using this housing has the same crack right there. I usually debur that particular area before sending them out but it just staves off the inevitable. Ni-resist will not help as its actually more brittle and its not so much the material but the actual casting in that area is very thin after the machining process which develops a major stress riser.

It can spool and work fine with that crack for a while but eventually, the heat cycling will make the halves shift which may contact your turbine wheel

Yup, every t25 I've ever had has done this.

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Yup, every t25 I've ever had has done this.

So now what, to buy one or not to buy one?????????

I mean i run my finger across it and it feels flat still and other then the visually unappealing aspect of it everything still looks and feels to be in the appropriate place. Even tho my turbine was way out of wack, it still wasnt scraping the housing. I would have been able to hear/feel it when I spun the compressor wheel..

Last edited:

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Wow, as I look around, this does appear to be a very common thing. Except mine does not appear half as bad as all of these. These seem to be much deeper of cracks and show clear separation.

AND

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
no kidding. i wonder why it's not more prevalent on the forums if every gt/gtx kit uses the same housing.

Cause most ppl have absolutely no idea until things come to a head (i.e. boost loss, smoking, etc). If the crack travels far enough, this will happen. Also, in actuality, a small minority are actually BT'ed

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i'm just thinking of the grand scheme of BT people vs. people that have apr kits, both fsi and tsi since '06. looks like it skipped the mk7 for twinscroll though.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
cracked turbine housing

i'm just thinking of the grand scheme of BT people vs. people that have apr kits, both fsi and tsi since '06. looks like it skipped the mk7 for twinscroll though.

The MK7 has water cooled exhaust housing which keeps the EGT down, but yes the BW EFR turbo is top notch great IWG design .

As Arnold@PAG (Passatg60 ) said those Garrett T25 IWG housing crack same spot espec with T25 APR Stage 3 manifold . He had a couple crates of cracked T25 housings he replaced

He had to replaced my housing for the same reason on my 06 GLI APR Stage 3 FSI but we went with fresh center section under the exchange program from Garrett before Arnold upgraded the gt2871 with Pag V2 billet compressor wheel. Bob G