GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 11-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
MrTocs
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Autobahn
Side view mirror "defrost". Pathetic or just broken?

Okay the weather has been changing. I go out to my car in the morning and the windows and side rear mirrors are covered in exterior condensation. I hit the defrost button and the back window clears up fine. Twenty minutes later my side view mirrors are pretty much the same. Left and right. Normal?
MrTocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Driver's Edition DSG
Turn the mirror adjustment switch on the door to the up position. That turns the mirror defrosters on. The button on the HVAC panel just controls the rear window defroster.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
trev1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
MrTocs
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1342 View Post
Turn the mirror adjustment switch on the door to the up position. That turns the mirror defrosters on. The button on the HVAC panel just controls the rear window defroster.
Holy crap. I'm an idiot. I always leave it clicked to the right because of parallel parking. Sigh.

Thanks Trev1342
MrTocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
sijray21
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 TR GTI 6MT 3DR
I didn't think it was obvious either at first. It took me a while to figure out how to get the sunroof all the way back instead of leaving that small over hang portion, too...
sijray21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
smrtypants44
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 135i
I find that the mirror defrost is quite beastly and quick, whenever I've had to use it.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
ralphykid67
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 CW 4DR-MT
Quote:
For real? I've been trying for two years to figure out how to turn it on (yes I'm that big of an idiot, and the manual didnt explain well).

So put it in the 12 o'clock position, and it activates defrost for both sides simultaneously?
ralphykid67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
J-Cooz
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphykid67 View Post
For real? I've been trying for two years to figure out how to turn it on (yes I'm that big of an idiot, and the manual didnt explain well).

So put it in the 12 o'clock position, and it activates defrost for both sides simultaneously?
Yep, and it works well. It'll melt ice right off the mirrors.
J-Cooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTocs View Post
Holy crap. I'm an idiot. I always leave it clicked to the right because of parallel parking. Sigh.

Thanks Trev1342
No problem. You'd never know that, it's so discrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphykid67 View Post
I didn't know about it until not too long ago either haha.
Exactly. It's just for both the side mirrors. Front defrost is the zone knob, rear electric defrost is the button.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI DSG Mk6 VEYRON
It's all in the manual, guys! *sigh*
2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
It's all in the manual, guys! *sigh*
The night I brought my car home I spent almost 2 hours reading through everything.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
razr390
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: 2013 CW Driver's Edition
should have a symbol at the 12 o'clock too, if that helps.

2013 Candy White GTI Driver's Edition
Current Mods: golfmk6.com decals; euro cubby
Quote:
He, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.
razr390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr390 View Post
should have a symbol at the 12 o'clock too, if that helps.
Yeah, there's a symbol, but I think most think that it would just symbolize that the mirrors are heated.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
razr390
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: 2013 CW Driver's Edition
Quote:
Yeah, there's a symbol, but I think most think that it would just symbolize that the mirrors are heated.
well...

2013 Candy White GTI Driver's Edition
Current Mods: golfmk6.com decals; euro cubby
Quote:
He, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.
razr390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr390 View Post
well...
German logic.